PDA

View Full Version : Another fake ebay auction?

ZoliHonig
03-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Is it just me or are these the pictures from some site... I forgot which.
It was an unpacking party?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3664468344&category=47351

[8]-Zoli[8]

smoother
03-03-2004, 01:48 AM
THANK YOU !!!

I had the same thought. In fact this is the second auction like this (not sure if it is from the same seller). The last one was for a P and it included a photo from Segway.com and claimed it was some of the bancrupt inventory they were selling off. They also wanted a $250 deposit even though escrow was suggested to confirm authenticity. Why would you need a deposit if it can be confirmed that the full purchase price is being held in escrow? There were several other issues which I can't be bothered to recite here. I was so concerned about that auction that I emailed EBay and listed in great detail why I thought the auction was a scam. Their reply? Nothing! Not one word.

Even though I bought 2 HT's and this cool Mac 17" Powerbook on EBay, I'll say it again; I hate EBay---for their lack of accountability for fraud on their site.

John Out.
"Live to glide, glide to live"

And about those pictures you mentioned. They do look familiar, and do you see how close they are cropped? As little identifyable background as possible is left in the shot. I didn't even notice the Pics. when I became suspicious of this one.

Segway City
03-03-2004, 10:15 AM
The P that was sold was legit, it came from a known seller who did, indeed, buy a bunch of Segs for an operation that went under before it began. They still have a couple, so lokk for other sales to post.

That said, this other one is apparently an auction of an empty box. Notice the side of the box they photo'd? It's the one WITHOUT the serial number or shipping label. Also, the text says the box was only opened for inspection, the unit is new. But if you look at the shipping tape, the edges have all the appearance of weathering over a 6 month period. The only good thing I can say about this one is the guy will take a credit card; there may be some fraud protection in that.

This one is a definite caveat emptor.

ElectraGlide
03-03-2004, 11:05 AM
First clue....TOO CHEAP! Second, I think a scammer would LOVE a credit card. The segway buyer would have protection , but the scammer could use that card number for a long day of shopping. The bank gets screwed, the scammer gets his loot, the segway buyer is protected against loss but gets nothing.
When I sold my p on EBAY I made it a point NOT to give out a serial number or place a photo of the box which both could be hacked by scammers out there to boost their claims of being legitimate.

Steve

smoother
03-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Seg City. I'm glad that the P was legit. This auction has a lot of the same wording, but a completly different format, and owner. What gives?

How do you know the P was legit? did you buy it? Do you know the seller?

Here's my big confusion about both ads: if the backers backed out, how do they still own the HT's. Wouldn't they be the biggest cost? If they are paid for, start the business. If not paid for, return to manufacturer. Maybe I'm too suspicious, but the wording of both these auctions threw huge red flags in my face.

Contrast that with Steve's (ElectraGlide) auction -- I HAVE A NICE P FOR SALE WHO WANTS IT? Ok it wasn't that basic, but it was simple and real.

John Out.
"Live to glide, glide to live"

Segway City
03-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Smoother: Yes, the p was sold by Scottsdale Gifts, apparently a partner in the Green Carrot operation that folded in Phoenix before starting. They have another i on sale now. He goes to great lengths to prove his legitimacy in his listings. I guess one partner had the investment money and bought the Segways, the other had the business plan (which is also for sale privately). Now that they've folded, they are each trying to recoup their investment by selling their own assets.

Now this other guy, xcat13, has two i's for sale in San Diego, yet has no history. If I lived out there, I'd check before paying, I wouldn't want to take a chance. Same on the Packadeal guy. No history and questionable photos. Since he's in Orange County, it would be wise to eyeball that one before buying, as well. I just don't know if either exists......

Whereas with a known SC member, you know who you're dealing with and they're not going to hide after the sale. I was real happy with the one I purchased that way.

As for serials and such, they should only be given to legit buyers, IMHO. I'm not sure I would want my serial floating in the ether, but I have no reason to hide it from a buyer. A picture of the actual unit for sale outweighs all claims of what might be in box #3.

Florida Ever-Glides
03-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Who in their right mind would buy a business plan from a company that folded before it even opened?

Tom Jacobson