PDA

View Full Version : First Time Barred As Assistive Device

Segway City
02-29-2004, 02:40 AM
My wife and I were barred for the first time today from entering a public place with our HTs.

We went to Radnor Lake State Park, a nature preserve consisting of a lake and several trails around the lake. A well travelled, paved city street that passes through the area was shut down a few years back to vehicular traffic, allowing only park traffic due to the sensitivity of the environment. A very pretty place.

We went to the Park Ranger's desk at the entrance and asked which areas were ok for HTs. We were told "motorized vehicles" weren't allowed and to utilize a pushed wheelchair. Asked if a powered wheelchair would be similarly banned, they said they were welcome in the park! There are at least two trails specifically designed as handicap accessible, but not with an HT, only a pushed or powered wheelchair. And all the while, bicycles are allowed access except on trails.

I just got through sending off my email to the head Park Ranger, the one who specified the policy. If my casual request doesn't sway the policy, I'll look into a formal complaint with the State Department of Environment and Conservation, their bosses. Discrimination like this shouldn't stand on public land.

Seg-Whey... "Atkins Friendly"

Florida Ever-Glides
02-29-2004, 09:18 AM
I suggest that you carry a copy of your state's statute regarding the Segway's permitted use. Most don't understand that the HT is 'not' a motor vehicle under the motor vehicle codes, that it has it's own definition. Some areas have restricted use ordinances in areas such as parks. This is the case in Seattle. Research your right and go forward well armed. Good luck...

Tom Jacobson

Segway City
02-29-2004, 12:37 PM
I had my copy with me, but the head Ranger was "in a meeting" and announced his policy via radio, saying he'd meet with us "another time". We weren't willing to hang around for an unknown period, we had a couple hours on an unusually warm winter day to enjoy so we moved on to greener pastures.

In this case, and in others I've seen, they have a "no motorized vehicles" exclusion, which they carried to the extreme. Being a class II natural resource refuge, they have special rights and obligations to protect the area, which is why we inquired as to where we were permitted to go. We'll see how the email is responded to. Quad Squad's info was perfect for composing our request. If the request is denied, we'll turn it into a demand.

Stewbonz
02-29-2004, 10:57 PM
I'd suggest making an appointment with the head man and demonstrate the Segway. Explain its benefits. I'll bet you are succesfull in gaining entry. Do you have handicap placards on the Segs?
In most of these type situations the managment are hesitant to make "the decision". Probably insurance concerns or a broad policy like NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

X-man
03-01-2004, 03:01 PM
I think the appropriate answer to the push wheel chair option is
"I don't know how to operate one of those things. Would you please push me?"
Along those lines, how would a person, who doesn't know the proper way, elect to push a wheel chair down a hill?

The Lone Glider! :)

jrmiller
03-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Greetings Segway City, maybe the definition of the HT as per Floridas statute will help your cause. Fl statutes states that the HT is an "electric personal assistive mobility device", defined as " Any self-balancing, two-nontandem-wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, with an electric propulsion system with average power of 750 watts (1 horsepower), the maximum speed of which, on a paved level surface when powered solely by such a propulsion system while being ridden by an opeerator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph. Electric personal mobil;ity devices are not vehicles as defined in this chapter." Try showing this to the "Management" and explain that the HT is not a motor vehicle therefore their rule does not apply !!!!! I carry a copy of the definition and the statue saying thai is NOT a motor vehicle by statute Mayber their thinking is along the same process as WDW? Letg me know how it goes on the next trip. :>) Respectfully JR :>)
SEG