PDA

View Full Version : Bombardier's Embrio: Segway Of Tomorrow?

Segway City
02-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Unbelievable looking machine:

http://www.brp.com/en-CA/

Although I'd heard of it before, this is the first I've seen a video.

http://www.brp.com/BRPCorporate/_Static/en-CA/embrio.html

Seg-Whey... "Atkins Friendly"

gotseg
02-27-2004, 11:04 PM
... god wouldn't that be a blast! I could see something like that being a possible future.

http://www.giguphosting.com/gotseg/gotseg.gif

kagudesu
02-27-2004, 11:38 PM
I am all for clean, electric transportation, especially gyroscopic. I'd love to buzz around town on the Embrio. I still think the HT (or a 2025 version of the HT) will be cooler. I like that I can use it indoors as well as out. I'd miss that with a one wheeled motocycle.

But, to each his own. The Embrio's aesthtics are pretty cool!

Cheers,

Andrew Crow

You own a Segway, now buy a Macintosh.

segwayowner
02-28-2004, 12:21 AM
I think it's amazing.... but am afraid it wil compete with the segway...

DES: Segway owner....
it has a nice ring to it

In Arizona, Hunting camels is prohibited.

Owls are one of the only birds that can see the color blue.
During a 24-hour period, the average human will breathe 23,040 times.

Segway City
02-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Actually, this was a result of a design challenge; no actual vehicle exists at this point. Every picture you've seen is a vector rendering of that design. The challenge was to create a vehicle for 2025.

But, since Bombardier are the folks who bring you Sea-Doos and the Rotax engine for my kart, I'd expect this thing to be a kick-@ss ride if ever built. I know my kart is... ;)

Sal
02-28-2004, 01:50 AM
I disagree, I don't think it will be a Segway competitor.... Bombardier is NOT making an empowered pedestrian, they are making a cool motorcycle. So it self balances (only in the CGI) It doesn't exist yet, how much will it cost, how will it be powered?

where's cargo? What about safety, what if something goes wrong at 70 MPH?

I wish it luck, it certainly is cool. But I think it's in a different arena than segways.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

kagudesu
02-28-2004, 03:29 AM
mmmm....gyros failing at 70MPH.

Not to say it would, but that's a nasty thought. But, by the year 2000, we'll be using hover cars.

Cheers,

Andrew Crow

You own a Segway, now buy a Macintosh.

Sal
02-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Cars??? I think heisenberg Compensators would have been perfected by then, and we'd all be beaming places.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

Florida Ever-Glides
02-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I strongly believe that Segway is on the cusp of a 'transportation revolution'. The HT probably won't change the world as predicted, but their technology most certainly will.

I envision 30-50+ years from now a vehicle that combines both hydrogen fuel-cell technology and self-balancing technology to produce an efficient and non-polluting transportation. some may be one-person vehicles, others will probably carry the family like todays automobiles.

They will rest on a main-'frame' platform with either one wheel in the middle or two wheels side-by-side much like the Segway.

I hope I live to see what is most certainly going to be the most exciting evolution in transportation, in history.

Tom Jacobson

cereal
02-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Sweet ride! Too bad we will have to wait 21 years for it. Maybe they're having problems integrating it with the flux capacitor.

-David

ElectraGlide
02-28-2004, 01:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Florida Ever-Glides

I hope I live to see what is most certainly going to be the most exciting evolution in transportation, in history.

Actually we are already living it......that vehicle is 'a machine that flies'..... and was considered impossible for thousands of years!

Steve

ZoliHonig
02-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Woah!
I've got 2 words for that...
SA-WEEEET

[8]-Zoli[8]

gotseg
02-29-2004, 12:17 PM
In the beginning of the video ,on the site, it has a picture of some old fashion looking uni wheel motorcycle. Photoshop or was it accualy created?

http://www.giguphosting.com/gotseg/gotseg.gif

Sal
02-29-2004, 01:16 PM
I have a feeling it was photoshop created, to mimic the 100 year evolution into today's Bombardier... Clever, I really do hope this gyro-cycle becomes a reality.

One thing I am indeed concerned about is that spinning gyroscope... how fast must that be spinning to keep that thing upright? I know that it can spin to a less degree when it's going fast, because the wheel will at as somewhat of a stabilizer, but what about at low speed (but fast enough for the 2 "trainers" not to be utilized) Hopefully the housing for the gyroscope will be reinforced, I'd hate to see the rider's legs get mangled in something spinning at 30K RPM. In an accident, or something else. Ugh!

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

Stan671
03-03-2004, 06:28 PM
The embrio does not exist - it is only a drawing. Heck, I can draw a picture of a hoverboard that runs on beer and banana peels and claim that it is better than the Segway HT. But right now, the actual flesh and blood Segway HT beats all drawings and lists of specs for all devices that don't exist yet. Hands down. Period.

The company says the embrio is a vehicle for 2025. Well, what do you think Dean Kamen and DEKA and Segway LLC will be able to come up with by 2025???!!!

Stan Dobrowski

verbl800
03-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Actually, it's not a photoshop. It does indeed exist, albeit only as a concept vehicle with no functionality. The concept mockup took home the gold at 2003 Annual Design Awards.

Stan671
03-05-2004, 08:30 PM
A concept vehicle mockup with no functionality is not much better than a drawing. I have a shoebox on my desk that I claim is the non-working mockup of a concept vehicle that is a antigravity field effect transportation device powered by cold fusion. All you have to do is hold the box (which weights only 2 pounds) and think about where you want to go and it will lift you off of the ground and take you there. And while you are on the journey, if you are hungry, you can open the box and your favorite home cooked meal will be inside. There is also an ice and beverage despenser on the side. So, this new mode of transporation I have thought of is one million times better than a Segway HT.

The point I am trying to make is that anyone can "think" about a vehicle and it's capabilities. And I have nothing against anyone who does. But that is a far cry from actually making one work. So, comparisons between the real thing (Segway HT) and the thought experiment (embrio) are not valid.

Stan Dobrowski