PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Purchase Notice

Poindexter
09-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Did anyone else get this? I just got via e-mail. Wonder what's the story?

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We've recently learned from our supplier that the item you requested to be notified about, Segway Human Transporter (also known as "Ginger" or "IT"), will not be available in the foreseeable future.

It's possible that someone may be selling this item through Amazon.com Auctions or zShops. We encourage you to search for it there if you're still interested in purchasing this item:

http://www.amazon.com/auctions
http://www.amazon.com/zshops

We're sorry not to have better news for you.

Sincerely,
Amazon.com Customer Service
http://www.amazon.com

ftropea
09-12-2002, 12:26 PM
I think, initially at least, Segway LLC will sell them through its own website. As time goes by, you may see them become available through other online stores like Amazon.com, for example. If the rumors are true and a consumer version is revealed and released in March - would Amazon.com be in a position to tell you that? Segway LLC is the supplier so perhaps they're officially telling Amazon that it won't be available in THEIR forseeable future. That doesn't mean it won't be available.

Glider
09-12-2002, 01:47 PM
Sorry, if I screw this up, first time poster.[8)]
Does this mean that Bezos is pulling his support?

quote:Originally posted by ftropea

I think, initially at least, Segway LLC will sell them through its own website. As time goes by, you may see them become available through other online stores like Amazon.com, for example. If the rumors are true and a consumer version is revealed and released in March - would Amazon.com be in a position to tell you that? Segway LLC is the supplier so perhaps they're officially telling Amazon that it won't be available in THEIR forseeable future. That doesn't mean it won't be available.

ftropea
09-12-2002, 01:54 PM
I don't think so. Remember, it's not like Amazon.com has to keep an inventory of Segways in order to sell them through their site. They just need to work out an agreement with Segway LLC. Initially, I think Segway LLC would like to sell them exclusively. With time, I think you'll see all the "middlemen" enter the picture and become authorized dealers of Segway-HTs.

Glider
09-12-2002, 02:07 PM
So more likely is that Segway just isn't selling them thru Amazon.
It has been mentioned that March is a new target release date (based on some State's legislature), I sure hope this doesn't push that date back. If they're under $5K, I'm going to try to buy one.

I don't think so. Remember, it's not like Amazon.com has to keep an inventory of Segways in order to sell them through their site. They just need to work out an agreement with Segway LLC. Initially, I think Segway LLC would like to sell them exclusively. With time, I think you'll see all the "middlemen" enter the picture and become authorized dealers of Segway-HTs.

4Seg
09-12-2002, 02:32 PM
I too received this notice and will have to agree with Frank. I think S.LLC has a company in its radar.
Sharper Image? (gawd i hope not)
Best Buy? (it's doable i suppose)
STLSegway? (we could only hope ;))
Walmart? (would lack support)
Schwinn ?
Which national chain?

Amazon has the channels, but no brick nor mortar nationally.

Who can it be now?

I remember one time I bought a 2-cycle engine for my 10 speed I bought through JC Penny.

AH! Sears, that must be it. :D

Glider
09-12-2002, 02:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by 4SegwayAdmin

I too received this notice and will have to agree with Frank. I think S.LLC has a company in its radar.
Sharper Image? (gawd i hope not)
Best Buy? (it's doable i suppose)
STLSegway? (we could only hope ;))
Walmart? (would lack support)
Schwinn ?
Which national chain?

Amazon has the channels, but no brick nor mortar nationally.

Who can it be now?

I remember one time I bought a 2-cycle engine for my 10 speed I bought through JC Penny.

AH! Sears, that must be it. :D

Sears would work, it seems to me that training facilities will be paramount during any rollout. Perhaps the training issue has a lot to do with the Amazon decision.

ftropea
09-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Training? How ridiculous! What product ever became widely popular but required training before you could legally use it???

Ooops... Oh yeah... cars. Sorry :P

- Frank

Glider
09-12-2002, 06:09 PM

Training? How ridiculous! What product ever became widely popular but required training before you could legally use it???

Ooops... Oh yeah... cars. Sorry :P

- Frank

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/09/12/coolsc.segway/index.html

This indicate it's further out than I was hoping (maybe that's what Amazon means by "the foreseeable future"):

While it will still be a year to 18 months before consumers can purchase the Segway, those marketing the commercial version say they're pleased with what they're hearing from companies and industries doing pilot testing.

Frank, not sure if you were joking about the training, but more from article:
"It takes awhile to learn," said Weyandt, director of comprehensive planning at ARC. "You can learn the basic operation in just a few minutes, but you need practice to really know how to use it on the sidewalk, how to mix with the pedestrian flow, how to handle curbs and driveway cuts," he said.

Casey
09-12-2002, 06:23 PM
quote: Amazon cleans up "Ginger" ail spill

By Richard Shim
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
September 12, 2002, 1:51 PM PT

Amazon customers who signed up to be notified when the scooterlike "Ginger" device would be available received a disappointing e-mail message Thursday: "The Segway Human Transporter will not be available in the foreseeable future."
But representatives from Manchester, N.H.-based Segway are not sure why the Web retailer sent the notice out.

<h3>"Amazon never had a distribution agreement with us," said Segway spokesman Tobe Cohen. "Nothing has changed...we will continue with our deliberate and measured deployment into the consumer market." </h3>

Amazon representatives confirmed on Thursday afternoon that the message was sent in error to a small number of customers and that Amazon will notify them that there is no new information on the status of the "HT."

Segway's Cohen added that the transporters will begin to trickle out to consumers at the end of the year, with large volume shipments expected by the middle of next year. The company is continuing to sign up new customers, such as cities and utility companies, and expects to hit its estimates for annual shipments into the commercial market of between 50,000 to 100,000 units. Segway has a factory in Bedford, N.H. that can make up to 40,000 scooters a month.

The company's goal initially is to demonstrate to potential customers that the HT can be used in extreme weather conditions and terrain. Organizations such as the U.S. Postal Service and National Park Service are in trails with a commercial design of the HT, which is faster and more expensive than the consumer version. Those trials have gone according to plan.

One hiccup for the company could arise from the recent resignation of Paul Poulin, who was a vice president in charge of commercial sales. Poulin left to spend more time with his family.

Commercial customers are the only group the devices are available for, and getting them to commit to large-scale purchases is a long process. The U.S. Postal Service bought 40 HTs after finishing feasibility tests in late January and is currently looking over the results of trials that ended in August.

The Postal Service is finishing up its alpha trial of testing and is considering if it will go into beta testing, according to spokeswoman Sue Brennan. The beta testing will likely be longer and involve trying the HTs out in more cities than the five used in the alpha stage.

"Segway is discovering (how much time can pass) between a trial and an order," said Richard Doherty, an analyst with research firm the Envisioneering Group. "This will likely be a community by community learning experience."

But Segway is making some progress at the state level. Thirty-one states have approved legislation allowing HTs to be used on sidewalks. Senior citizen groups and advocates for walking have objected to the use of the HTs on sidewalks, leading some politicians to object to bills that allow such use, but so far the those in favor have out numbered those against. Bills for approval are being considered by California and Illinois.

Consumer demand for the HTs reached frenzied levels when three of the gizmos went up for bidding on Web retailer Amazon.com in February. Bids started at $1.75, but each HT went for more than $100,000 when the auctions closed, after a little more than a month.

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-957746.html?tag=fd_top

ftropea
09-12-2002, 06:23 PM
If took Diane Sawyer about 5 minutes to learn how to not crash when balancing on one leg.. riding forward and not holding onto the handle bars! hehe...

She's not exactly an acrobat, but she was pretty amazing... :)

ftropea
09-12-2002, 06:29 PM
I got one of those Amazon.com e-mails too.. Didn't concern me at all. I wasn't exactly planning on buying one from Amazon.com anyway... unless of course they were going to be the ONLY source.

- Frank

charmed
09-12-2002, 06:30 PM
Wow. Huge news day.

This part is just what I wanted to hear-

"Segway's Cohen added that the transporters will begin to trickle out to consumers
at the end of the year, with large volume shipments expected by the middle of next
year. The company is continuing to sign up new customers, such as cities and
utility companies, and expects to hit its estimates for annual shipments into the
commercial market of between 50,000 to 100,000 units."

Those are big numbers, with only 3 1/2 months to go this year.

Go Segway!

4Seg
09-12-2002, 07:24 PM
CJ's, Dave's and my learning curve was about a minute or so. A majority of the training would be the service techs. Sears would be a good source.

Riding's easy. It's the other training. See: http://www.segway.com/support/training/ and http://www.segway.com/faqs/faq.cgi?subject=1014821257&sec=4

The owner's manual, just like a car, is the answer to that; however, additional multi-terrain riding instructions may need to be given. I just rode the Segway on a flat marble floor; however, can we say everyone would know which way to lean when going up a ramp and slighly to the left of perpendicular? Don't think so. All the ramps we've seen so far are attacked straight on. How does the Segway handle anything else? Or is the 'attack angle' meant to be 90 deg.?

Glider
09-12-2002, 08:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by charmed

Wow. Huge news day.

"Segway's Cohen added that the transporters will begin to trickle out to consumers
at the end of the year, with large volume shipments expected by the middle of next
utility companies, and expects to hit its estimates for annual shipments into the

Go Segway!

Charmed
Do you have (or can you point me to where) numbers for Segway Sales so far? It doesn't seem they are near these numbers - was there some big sale I missed?
Greg

charmed
09-12-2002, 08:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Glider

Wow. Huge news day.

Go Segway!

Charmed
Do you have (or can you point me to where) numbers for Segway Sales so far? It doesn't seem they are near these numbers - was there some big sale I missed?
Greg

Are you serious, Greg? Just reading your posts tell me that you've been following the story at least a little bit. Segway's a private company, and notoriously tight with their info. By all accounts, sales have yet to take off, although there are some hopeful signs. The CNET story today was interesting in that regard (50,000 to 100,000 commercial units by the end of the year, or annual period). As for availability of personal units, two stories published today seem to be at odds, with CNN saying 12 to 18 months, and CNET announcing initial sales by the end of the year, with a ramp-up for larger numbers by mid next year.

Still, who can say? I guess that's why people read these pages, to get a better idea.

I'm guessing that you think maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic?

Glider
09-12-2002, 08:49 PM

quote:Originally posted by Glider

Wow. Huge news day.

Go Segway!

Charmed
Greg

Are you serious, Greg? Just reading your posts tell me that you've been following the story at least a little bit. Segway's a private company, and notoriously tight with their info. By all accounts, sales have yet to take off, although there are some hopeful signs. The CNET story today was interesting in that regard (50,000 to 100,000 commercial units by the end of the year, or annual period). As for availability of personal units, two stories published today seem to be at odds, with CNN saying 12 to 18 months, and CNET announcing initial sales by the end of the year, with a ramp-up for larger numbers by mid next year.

Still, who can say? I guess that's why people read these pages, to get a better idea.

I'm guessing that you think maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic?

Sorry, no I'm not kidding. I have only picked up on Segway recently and have become an avid researcher using Google, TIQ and now Segwaychat. It's clear that many here have followed it since before we knew what Ginger was going to be, so I apoligize for the learning curve.
I'd like to buy one ASAP, but the availability is tied directly to the enterprise sales, hence my interest.
I'm finding out there's not a lot of hard data on Segway (testing, sales, etc) but tremendous conjecture and press release data.
Just wondering if anyone has kept tabs on actual verifiable sales.

Casey
09-12-2002, 08:57 PM
quote:Just wondering if anyone has kept tabs on actual verifiable sales.

My guess is that Segway LLC has. You might try contacting them. And who knows, they might even give you a scoop for us.

charmed
09-12-2002, 09:02 PM
It's a privately owned company, and hence, their sale's figures will no doubt remain unverifiable. Also, I'm of the opinion that as long as they are still in the early days of the legislation push, they have little to gain by putting all their numbers and strategy on the table.

Can I ask how you intend to use the Segway you are planning to buy (ie. dense urban area, suburbs, work, pleasure)? I'm still not clear on how the public will respond once they are available.

baantjer
09-12-2002, 10:24 PM
quote:CNN
While it will still be a year to 18 months before consumers can purchase the Segway, those marketing the commercial version say they're pleased with what they're hearing from companies and industries doing pilot testing.
and
quote:CNET News.com
begin to trickle out to consumers at the end of the year, with large volume shipments expected by the middle of next year
would not contradict if the CNN quote counts from the launch date (2002/12/03) and the CNET quote counts from now

charmed
09-13-2002, 05:20 AM

You recently received an e-mail from us regarding the Segway Human
Transporter (also known as "Ginger" or "IT"). This e-mail was sent
accidentally by an automated system and the information in it is
incorrect.

In fact, there is no new information on Segway's
availability. Consumer versions of Segway Human Transporters are
currently being piloted in various communities throughout the U.S.
The Segway HT is expected to be released to the general consumer
market in 2003.

We apologize for the confusion. We will keep your e-mail address on
our list of customers who wish to be notified about this item.

Sincerely,

Weird little episode from Amazon yesterday.

Poindexter
09-13-2002, 11:18 AM

incorrect.

market in 2003.

We apologize for the confusion. We will keep your e-mail address on
our list of customers who wish to be notified about this item.

Sincerely,

Weird little episode from Amazon yesterday.

Yeah, I got the same thing today. Weird indeed.

n/a
09-13-2002, 11:46 AM
quote:"Amazon never had a distribution agreement with us," said Segway spokesman Tobe Cohen. "Nothing has changed...we will continue with our deliberate and measured deployment into the consumer market."

I find it interesting that Amazon has been pretending to be a Segway distributor all this time and that Segway LLC let them until now. I suppose the reason is that it was good advertizing for both parties.

n/a
09-13-2002, 05:10 PM
I too have received the mail from Amazon even here in Norway. So maybe they sent e-mail to everybody.

ftropea
09-16-2002, 08:31 PM
Here is another take on all this...

Mass mailing - you all hate it, right? Can't blame then when they say it's an accident, can 'ya ? :P

What great advertising! You mass mail all the people who expressed interest in Ginger, that the Segway HT won't be available through them! Oh, why not? Nevermind - it was a mistake - in fact, they take opportunity to let you know:

incorrect.

market in 2003.

Well thanks Amazon! Thanks for the update :)

How about that for a conspiracy theory? hehe...

- Frank

Blinky
11-14-2002, 11:55 PM
What do you guys think the chances are that amazon will make the stirling engine available for sale on their site :)

Casey
11-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Well Blinky, my guess would be about zero. They have no way to provide maintenance on it, nor on a Segway.

I think when these devices are released to consumers they will be handled through companies that already have power equipment maintenance and repair facilities established.

Blinky
11-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Casey,

Yeah, I kind of figured that the chances of Amazon selling the Stirling were slim. I do think it is interesting what Ftropea wrote earlier in this thread about how there hasn't been any recent news from Segway LLC and Amazons email to everyone.

I also feel that Amazon may not be a company Segway LLC wants to sell their HT's through. You brought up a good point Casey in saying that Amazon would have "no way to provide maintenance on it, nor on a Segway". Someone should try emailing Amazon and try and get some sort of answer form them.

I'd love to see that if they even care to actually read any kind of feedback from its consumers.

Blinky
11-18-2002, 03:16 AM
Well people,

We are going to see if this Amazon thing was for real, possibly by noon Monday.

If they are selling it for that $4950 amount, how many of you are going to sign up? (i was lucky enough to catch Segway&gt;Shop link before they yanked it [:p])

Instead of a selected 100 getting it possibly before Christmas(holidays) they should have randomly selected 100 people to get it buy one get one free. This would have been Great!