PDA

View Full Version : Houston S.E.G. group glide

MagiMike
02-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Join us in an informal group glide on Sunday 22 Feb. 04. The time is 1 PM.
There is no formal agenda, just a get together and talk Segway opportunity.

The start location is the Eleanor Tinsely Park along the banks of Buffalo Bayou. That's about 1/2 mile west of I-45 on the Allen Parkway.

The tentative plan is to have a short glide using about 1/2 of battery capacity along sidewalk and dirt paths and save about 1/2 of the capacity to use playing on the "Hill's of Houston" along the banks.

The weather should be nice in the mid 60's range. Because much of the glide will be "off road" The event will be cancelled in case of heavy rain Saturday or Sunday.

E-mail MagiMike with any Questions

Mike in Houston TX.

smoother
02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
I think Lin and I can make it. Any suggestions for parking? Is there parking at that park?

John Out.
"Live to glide, glide to live"

MagiMike
02-19-2004, 11:16 PM
There is parking in Eleanor Tinsely Park for about 20 cars. On a pleasant day the biker's, hiker's and dog walkers will take most of the slots.
The first street past I -45 on the parkway is Sabine Street and there is some parking there near the Sabin Lofts. It would be a 1/4 mile glide from the Sabine Lofts to the park.
Another option is to go past ET Park 1/4 mile and take the first exit on the left side (Taft Street), on the corner of Taft and Allen Parkway is the 14 floor Service Corporation International Building which has a parking lot you could use.

Mike in Houston TX.

smoother
02-22-2004, 08:47 PM
8 gliders attended the first official glide of the Houston club.

John (me)
Lin my Sig Ot.
Patrick
Victoria
Ed (I think)
Alan (oursegways.com)
David
and Mike who organized it.

First order of business, after introductions, was to test Phil's right hand steer CS. See that thread for the report.

Then we went off for our group glide around the park and bayou. Some of the hills are quite steep by Houston standards, but the HT's handled them fine, both decending and assending. Some assents had to be taken at an angle in order to prevent wheel slippage on the grass (no knobbies here, just slicks).

The weather was warm and sunny to start, but by the end it turned cloudy and windy.

Many photos were taken and some video. I know a lot of them will show up on Alan's web site.

We will be doing another one very soon I'm sure.

Thanks Mike for starting things off.

John Out.

redhummer
02-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Wow, the right hand control was something else, it is wild to think how our mind seem to over come our intentions when it came to turning left instead or right or vice versa.

I have placed many of the photos on the web as always, and if any one from the gruop has more to add, please let me know.

The web link is http://www.oursegways.com/HoustonMeetsUp/Meetup022204.htm

Allan M - Houston TX !!

Allan M.
Houston TX 77070

smoother
02-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Nice job Alan, and Patrick. Very fancy map work. What are the numbers for on the map?

John Out.