PDA

View Full Version : Just what, exactly does ADA APPROVED mean, anyway?

Nelda
02-15-2004, 11:33 PM
I need to understand why people think everything has to be 'approved'.Don't people have common sense?? I can't believe the prejudices I am encountering.
I know, I should post this over at mobility forum, but everybody comes here! I value everyone's input. Thanks

SegwayBill
02-18-2004, 01:22 PM
This post belongs in the Special Needs, Mobilty and Disabled Use forum.
Good Luck

Bill

driley
02-19-2004, 03:36 AM
Nelda,
What problems are you running into?

Devin

Nelda
02-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Oh, it's nothing specific, just people in general who think you can't do anything unless it's 'approved' by someone else.
Nelda

Shawnee88
02-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Well, I recently learned that a special needs device does not have to be "FDA approved" to use it.

Imagine if the ADA had to comply with the FDA.. my cane is from a sporting goods store, and probably not "FDA approved."

Use what you want, screw 'em. Whatever works is my policy. If balancing a cat on my head got rid of my limp, I'd wear a non-FDA approved feline for a fez.

millpond11043
02-24-2004, 01:50 AM
IS IT APPROVED ?? If your Dr. perscribes it that the only approvale you need, just let him know he may have to justify the script.

Millpond

Wallace
03-10-2004, 07:41 PM
I like the idea of IT IS EASIER TO GET FORGIVENESS THAN TO GET PERMISSION.

I recently went to the Make A Wish Car Show here in Amarillo, TX. I put my blue handicapped mirror permit - obtained with a script from my Medical Dr. for use on any vehicle I might happen to be driving or riding in.

The permit was issued to ME - not to my car or SEGWAY. I was welcomed at the car show like a long lost brother. I do have .jpgs of some of the cars and the SEG. Especially nice is a photo of a man in a three wheeled, JAZZY and me on the SEG.

Contact me for PICS if you want them. Also available is a self-made, folding set of ramps for about $30.00 which I use to get the I-Series in the back of my Volvo 960.

I called the local shopping mall - about 500,000 squ ft and told the mall manager I was coming out next week on my electric mobility device ( Well, I really called it a scooter, but what the heck!. Sorry Dean.)

My advice. Be courteous. Act as if you use the Seg all the time as a substitute for as powered wheelchair.

He said come on out. I will go by the mall office and give demos to his staff.