PDA

View Full Version : 'Q' photo in Fortune magazine

SegwayUtah
02-13-2004, 04:11 PM
In Fortune magazine, there is a photo of a "well-dressed hip" man riding the Rad2Go Q stand-up scooter down a street/sidewalk. A friend of mine pulled it out to show me that I could now get a Segway with a big headlight on the front.

I hope people don't start riding Qs in the public, thinking that they are covered by EPAMD laws. But even more, I hope that people don't start thinking that Qs are anything like Segways.

Q = stand-up electric scooter (a wolf in Segway-like clothing?)
Segway = self-balancing robot human transporter

As time goes on, it becomes more important to stress the difference between a stand-up scooter and a self-balancing human transporter. At least now we can pull out a picture and say "no, _this_ is a scooter, one that's trying to pretend to be a Segway."

Chris

BruceWright
02-13-2004, 04:45 PM
If anyone tries to ride the Q scooter down the sidewalk or the street, I think they'll find within a couple of miles that it's mostly useless.

Looks great in a magazine, though!

The more I think about the Q, the more I realize that THIS IS EXACTLY what most people think a Segway is.

When people saw the Segway on Good Morning America, they didn't and DON'T understand what it really is. Just like Doug Field said in the chat, people DON'T understand why 4 wheels wouldn't be just as good as 2.

That's why when I demo it for people, they are afraid that it won't be stable. It's why people think that I'M the one balancing it.

It's why people think "that's it" when they saw the Segway.

Only after riding it, do these people get the "aha" moment.

That's why people need to ride a Segway to get it, and why they are absolutely EQUAL in a magazine photo or on television.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

defenbaugh
02-13-2004, 05:37 PM
With the risk of being off topic, I will add to Bruce's comments. Those that can't comprehend, perceive (you choose the right word) new technology will never understand the difference between the HT and the Q any more than they could perceive (or your word) the difference between the computer and the calculator. Add to the list the calculator and the adding machine. You get the point. Only when they, themselves, can operate it, and some not then, will this type person comprehend what a Segway really is. I have family members and employees still not using computers for they can not see the need. There will always be those people. There are more of these none comprehenders than Dean, myself, and most on this chat board would like to believe. The recent Wall Street Journal thread brings to mind that I originally would have sold the farm to buy stock in Segway if it had been available, that's how much faith I had in this revolutionary product. The WSJ article indicates the road is going to be steeper than we all anticipated. This Segway will climb a steeper hill than most people think, both physically and metaphoricly. But, as pt likes to remind us, "it's not a sprint, it is a marathon."

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

ZoliHonig
02-14-2004, 08:17 PM
I really hope poeple don't vonfuse the Segway with the Q.

[8]-Zoli[8]

ElectraGlide
02-14-2004, 11:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by ZoliHonig

I really hope people don't confuse the Segway with the Q.

[8]-Zoli[8]

You can bet they will !

Steve

SegwayUtah
02-14-2004, 11:34 PM
People have already confused the Q with an actual Segway. My friend pulled out a photo of the Q to show me a "Segway with a big headlight on the front."

Chris

Itsi Atkins
05-18-2004, 11:28 AM
Remember the Q by zap. The stock zapz sold for $0.75 when they introduced the Q, Today it is selling for over $4.00, with an ask price of $5.00. Hope others picked up on it, sold my 1000 shares to pay for a new P.

vanclute
05-18-2004, 01:23 PM
People have been confusing the Q with the Swg since the Q came out, mostlhy because the Q markets itself aS "BETTER THAN A SEGWAY"! They (Zap I geuss) are doing everything they can *TO* confuse the public and convince them that the two machines are the same, if not the Q is better. They will make more money that way, and have no interest in new technologies, they just want to sell more scooters however they can.

<sigh>

J

BruceWright
05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Point of order,

Rad2Go makes the Q. Zap is a retailer.

-Bruce Wright

vanclute
05-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Ahh thanks for the clarification Bruce. All I know is, everyone involved with the Q seems to insist on basically slandering the Segway and those who would pay for one.

I also noticed a rather large number of typos in my previous post... ahwell, that's what happens when I type passionately. ;)

J

RAG1247
05-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I really don't think that you can say that the Q is slandering the segway

you can however say that they are getting promoted and they are getting exposure to the public more so than the ht

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

vanclute
05-18-2004, 04:09 PM
When the distributors are making claims like "more maneuverable" and "safer" and so forth, I'm not sure what to call it... maybe it's not technically slander, but it's definately not accurate or true information, period. I'd like to get ahold of someone who has or distributes the Q and let them try the Segway instead. Bet they'd be shocked...

J

gotseg
05-18-2004, 04:22 PM
How much more maneuverable can you be with a ZERO degree turning radi. ? Isn't the Q like 2 feet or something?

http://www.giguphosting.com/gotseg/gotseg.gif
segless and looking

vanclute
05-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Bruce's exhaustive comparison said about 3 feet I believe. But certainly NOT zero.

That's my point gotseg... their claims are flat out bogus, but nobody is challenging them.

J

BruceWright
05-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah, The Q takes about 3 feet to turn around. Is anyone actually making a "more manuverable" claim?

-Bruce Wright

vanclute
05-18-2004, 04:50 PM
At the very least the Ebay Q Sellers are all saying things like that. I saw something like that in a print ad too, though it didn't mention Segway by name. You know how they word the ads... "You've seen scooters JUST LIKE THIS costing $5000! Now you can have one that's even BETTER, with BETTER MANEUVERABILITY, for only..."

They don't say the name, but obviously they specifically mean the Segway, and their comparisons and claims are just flat out lies.

J

Okeechobee Wind
05-18-2004, 05:59 PM
A woman walking with her son in a wheelchair came running up to me the other day. She stated that the Segway would have been perfect for her son. She than went on to state that it was impossible now that Segway was being forced to add one or two more wheels to make it safe since there was a recall. She could not believe I rode my HT in public without being afraid of getting hurt. You know with all the problems they have been having.
While at the same RV show an announcer in one of the booths made a comment about, I must feel rather taken since the same scooter as the Segway was available from PEP boys for a fraction of the cost.
It is getting worse. The Q thing can only be overcome with public awareness.

SegwayUtah
05-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Okeechobee,

When people confuse the Q and the Segway HT, I just chuckle politely. Then I explain that the Q is a scooter and the Segway HT is a balancer (or "self-balancing machine"), and that the Q is some cheap, overpriced scooter which is designed to kind-of sort-of look like the Segway HT.

That's the truth.

Chris

ZoliHonig
05-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Can someone explain to me what all this
"BODY ENGINE"
junk is??

[8]-Zoli[8]

vanclute
05-18-2004, 06:18 PM
Body Engine? To what are you referring Zoli? Doesn't ring a bell to me...

J

P.S. to OkeeChobee... I hope you were able to explain to that woman that the Segway *would* be perfect for her son, and that none of the things she heard about are true or actually happened the way she heard it. What a terrible shame...

vanclute
05-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Here is what got sent to me from an Ebay Q Reseller when I tried to explain to him that his auction contained misleading and false information regarding the Q vs. the Segway. Definitely falls under the category of People Without A Clue.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

There is nothing misleading in my auction page. I tell the customer exactly what it has. I tell why its safer, because of its four wheel design, renerative breaks, reinforced decks and has added momanuervability. My scooter you can use as a dolley too. Coke, Pepsi and Snapple are working on deals to get scooters for there employees. This is not one of those cheap scooters, that are selling on Ebay, like theelectric chariot people mover and the Q mover and the super scooter. They come with no technical support, no addreess,no phone number, no reinforced deck and no regenerative breaks. Just to let you know, were in a law suit over the knock off scooters, we have the patten, are scooters are safe and we have technical support. You let those people selling knock off scooters copy my auction page and don not even do nothing. You never ridden my scooter, you have no ideal what its like. How can you make a dumb statement like the Segway is much better, when you have never ridden my
scooter. Some people are so ignorant. You should be worried about the member selling knock off scooters of mine, they are really un safe. They are being sued too. If Seway is so much better, then why is coke working on a deal with us. Our scooter will be on the Ellen show too. If you care to take a look.

Sal
05-18-2004, 07:22 PM
OH GOD! LOL Has that guy ever ridden a Segway? LOL Vanclute, do you have a link to that auction? I want to write to him as well.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

http://home.earthlink.net/~sal1k/images/si2f.jpg

RAG1247
05-18-2004, 07:34 PM
there is no question that the ht is more innovative and novel

however it should be since it is 4 times the cost

whatever is said on this forum relative to the shortcomings of the Q are meaningless since the general public doesn't read segwaychat.

the makers of Q are getting their product in front of consumers, are promoting it and probably have sales that will continue to increase, particularly based on the huge price differential.

the only way to counter the Q is for segway to get their unit in front of consumers and explain the advantages - rad2go's site now states that it is going to be on the ellen degenares show

we need segway to increase their promotion of one of the greatest pieces of technolgy - we can't do it.

Q will probably be successful and keep modifying their product if for no other reason, the vast majority of people cannot afford the cost of a segway

in fact walmart now sells them for $994 (the newest version) and states that they will be in the next James Bond and superman movies - their marketing people are doing their job!

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

RAG1247
05-18-2004, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by SegwayUtah

In Fortune magazine, there is a photo of a "well-dressed hip" man riding the Rad2Go Q stand-up scooter down a street/sidewalk. A friend of mine pulled it out to show me that I could now get a Segway with a big headlight on the front.

I hope people don't start riding Qs in the public, thinking that they are covered by EPAMD laws. But even more, I hope that people don't start thinking that Qs are anything like Segways.

Q = stand-up electric scooter (a wolf in Segway-like clothing?)
Segway = self-balancing robot human transporter

As time goes on, it becomes more important to stress the difference between a stand-up scooter and a self-balancing human transporter. At least now we can pull out a picture and say "no, _this_ is a scooter, one that's trying to pretend to be a Segway."

Chris

chris can you scan in the picture - was it an ad or an editorial or article???? - was there a picture of the segway in that issue???

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

vanclute
05-18-2004, 08:00 PM
The auction in question is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3677854384

The guy's even local to me, but funny he certainly didn't offer to come show me his wonder-vehicle.

J

vanclute
05-18-2004, 08:16 PM
I just sent him the following:
__________________________________________________ _________________

I think I would really like to find out more about it, and see what it is actually capable of. I notice you are local to me (I'm in Sunnyvale). Would you or your company be willing to meet me some time with my Segway so we could compare them side-by-side? I admit I have never seen a Q or other knock-off scooter other than in pictures, so I should at least see one in person before I form my opinion.

Please let me know if you would be willing to participate in this little experiment. Thanks!

Jonathan

Sal
05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Vanclute, please please keep us posted! This is going to be good. Maybe it'll be another Brucewright vs Q?

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

http://home.earthlink.net/~sal1k/images/si2f.jpg

ZoliHonig
05-18-2004, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by vanclute

Our scooter will be on the Ellen show too. If you care to take a look.

And do you know how many shows the segway has been on???
Arrested developement, all over the news, not to mention the specials focused directly on Dean Kamen, and a nice sized segment on the segway.

I don't even have words to say about this guy.

[8]-Zoli[8]

wwhopper
05-18-2004, 10:00 PM
What will be interesting is the marketing plan for this thing. I am sure they plan on selling more than the Segway has already (and cheaper does sell) but what will also be interesting is the pre-owned market - has anyone seen these on used on eBay yet? At least the HT holds its value!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA

RAG1247
05-18-2004, 10:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by ZoliHonig

Our scooter will be on the Ellen show too. If you care to take a look.

And do you know how many shows the segway has been on???
Arrested developement, all over the news, not to mention the specials focused directly on Dean Kamen, and a nice sized segment on the segway.

I don't even have words to say about this guy.

[8]-Zoli[8]

unfortunately, it's what on today not last week, last month or last year

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

mattk
05-18-2004, 10:51 PM
This guy just sounds like a fool; maybe he should proofread his emails.

"renerative"
"momanuervability"
"theelectric"
"addreess,no" (needs space between "," and "no")
"patten"
"Seway"
"...Ellen show too. If you care to take a look." (If you care to take a look is a sentence fragment)!

My English teacher would scream if she saw this!

Here is what got sent to me from an Ebay Q Reseller when I tried to explain to him that his auction contained misleading and false information regarding the Q vs. the Segway. Definitely falls under the category of People Without A Clue.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

There is nothing misleading in my auction page. I tell the customer exactly what it has. I tell why its safer, because of its four wheel design, renerative breaks, reinforced decks and has added momanuervability. My scooter you can use as a dolley too. Coke, Pepsi and Snapple are working on deals to get scooters for there employees. This is not one of those cheap scooters, that are selling on Ebay, like theelectric chariot people mover and the Q mover and the super scooter. They come with no technical support, no addreess,no phone number, no reinforced deck and no regenerative breaks. Just to let you know, were in a law suit over the knock off scooters, we have the patten, are scooters are safe and we have technical support. You let those people selling knock off scooters copy my auction page and don not even do nothing. You never ridden my scooter, you have no ideal what its like. How can you make a dumb statement like the Segway is much better, when you have never ridden my
scooter. Some people are so ignorant. You should be worried about the member selling knock off scooters of mine, they are really un safe. They are being sued too. If Seway is so much better, then why is coke working on a deal with us. Our scooter will be on the Ellen show too. If you care to take a look.

-MattK

SegwayUtah
05-19-2004, 02:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by RAG1247

chris can you scan in the picture - was it an ad or an editorial or article???? - was there a picture of the segway in that issue???

Richard,

I wish I could, but this thread is from three months ago :) If I can find a copy of the old issue, I'll certainly try to scan it and put it up here.

Chris

vanclute
05-19-2004, 02:24 AM
Yeah, his response was horridly mis-spelled, plus he talks about the company in language the implies he *is* the company, or at least is deeply involved with it. Not much of a representative or executive if that's the best he can write.

So far, no response... I honestly don't expect I will get a response, but if I do I tell you now I will video it, and provide a full documentary on the end results (did I mention I've been a video editor for a lot of years too? =)

J

nathalievanherpen
09-15-2005, 09:34 AM
hi,

is the Q the same as the footwalker? Have a look at www.footwalker.com

Tarkus
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Why does this bother so many people. I just don't see it as a "personal thing" about me & my Segway.

Now if I had some kind of money on the line it would be different. If this product blows the HT away in sales then so be it.

It doesn't seem that LLC is to concerned about selling to John Q. Public anyway, there marketing seems to be to industrial/government market.

That average guy doesn't care how it works they just want to ride the thing. I rode one and must say it worked pretty well for the money, it's not close to the HT but did it's job and the pricing is better for the mass market .

Wow, I just saw the date of this thread & am sorry that I even posted .
http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Tarkus/elp1tarkusfava.JPGTarkus-See me in my photo album

n1das
09-15-2005, 10:57 PM
I like to call the 'Q' simply what it is: Faceplant machine. I've seen one up close at the local PepBoys auto parts store near my home. I've never seen anybody riding one yet. My gut feeling is that riding on a Q would be about as stable as standing on a grocery cart. You could do some awesome faceplants on the Q if you try riding it aggessively or on rough terrain.

On a segwayHT, basically you lead and it follows. On the Q, it's the other way around!

At the BBQ dinner at DK's house during the Manchester NH SegwayFest activities, I found it interesting that DK has one in his garage. He probably has some interesting stories to tell about it!

If I ever find someone giving demos on a Q, I might try it for no other reason than to find out first hand how BAD it really is. Then I'd offer to give a demo on my SegwayHT. Could be interesting!

David Sterrett, N1DAS
Nashua, NH
Midnight Blue i170

n1das
09-15-2005, 11:08 PM
A team of SegwayHT owners should challenge a team of Q owners to a game of Segway Polo! LOL!

David Sterrett, N1DAS
Nashua, NH
Midnight Blue i170

segtownmst
09-16-2005, 02:51 AM
wow, not even sure how to respond to that. Not to mention all the typos and impropper use of words. . . . interresting.

pam
09-16-2005, 08:27 AM
I know that Richard (RAG)gave him one at the SegFest in Bonita Springs, FL. Wonder if it was the same one.
Pam

quote:Originally posted by n1das

I
At the BBQ dinner at DK's house during the Manchester NH SegwayFest activities, I found it interesting that DK has one in his garage. He probably has some interesting stories to tell about it!
David Sterrett, N1DAS
Nashua, NH
Midnight Blue i170

william collins
09-16-2005, 11:46 AM
I hate to admit it but I have a "Q" in my Garage down my driveway ..I say down cause it is downgrade..Tried to come up the driveway with the "Q" and even with a full charge it stalls. On the other hand my Segway goes up the hill just as fast as it goes down..(I mean the driveway)..I had bought the Q couple of months before the Seg..And am tring to sell it and at least Break even ..ANYONE interested in a Q ? Come get it

IN GOD WE TRUST

junio1r
09-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Its the cost, stupid. The Q costs $700. A new Segway costs $5200. They can afford to spread thousands of "demos" around the nation, bribe every TV producer or magazine editor with a "free" loaner machine, and suck customers in with a reasonable price. When there are so many alternatives to a balancing scooter (walking, bicycles, skateboards, the Q), how can they ever expect to sell machines at around $5000.

But, I love my Segway. It takes me places and does things a Q could never even consider. But in the marketplace I'm not the typical buyer. The Q buyer, unfortunately for Segway, is the "typical buyer."

And also unfortunately, the first company to market with the short-distance transportation solution will be the winner. So far, Q seems to be winning. When was the last time Segway was in Fortune?

KSagal
09-16-2005, 04:45 PM
William,

Have you ever tried dragging the Q up the hill in your driveway, then riding down? Halfway down, hit the brakes hard. (Be careful) Can it handle a situation like that? Please report back.

THe only Q that I have ridden was the one that Richard had a Segfest 04 and was eventually sent to Dean.

We speak constantly about the impact that seg owners have on the perceptions of the general public. I believe that the Q is far more unstable and therefor would be contributing to more accidents that will be lumped together with segways... that would diminish the safety perception of the segway in the public mind, since they often do not differenciate...

This was a big issue for consideration when this thread was young. Many of us were concerned about the impact... In my opinion, the Q is not a quality piece of equipment, and therefore has somewhat fizzled out. I don't hear much about them anymore because most junk fails under it's own weight.

If it were not for the fact that Q markets itself as a near-segway, I would not care... Also, has anyone other than me noticed that they were introduced as $1000 to 1200 and now are just a couple hundred and I have even seen them for less...?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

JohnM
09-16-2005, 06:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by junio1r

When was the last time Segway was in Fortune?

The first time was December 24, 2001: 'It' Surpasses My Wildest Dreams http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,370261,00.html

Fortune Small Business had a story in their Apr. 2004 Issue: Segway Slump
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/smallbusiness/articles/0,15114,604050,00.html

JohnM
Anything worth doing for 2 hours is 10 times more worthwhile if done for 20 hours.
RUSA #235

william collins
09-17-2005, 02:44 PM
No I have not tried that..And I can imagine it coming to a stop and me keep going for a face plant You know like when you hit the brakes hard in a car ..Seat belt stops you from going thue the windshield. But i,m game ..I'll try it at a slow speed down the Driveway.I'll report back after I get back from the Hospital

IN GOD WE TRUST

nathalievanherpen
09-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey guys,

Is the Q the same as the footwalker? I'm a litlle confused now... see at www.footwalker.com

pam
09-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Yes. It is. It's also about time to move this topic about the 'Q' into off-topic. (I'd move it into Science and Technology, but somehow I have a hard time thinking of the 'Q' in either of those terms).
Pam

KSagal
09-20-2005, 09:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by william collins

No I have not tried that..And I can imagine it coming to a stop and me keep going for a face plant You know like when you hit the brakes hard in a car ..Seat belt stops you from going thue the windshield. But i,m game ..I'll try it at a slow speed down the Driveway.I'll report back after I get back from the Hospital

IN GOD WE TRUST

That is why I said to be careful, as I suspect the same results... I feel this is why they are now marketing in Europe under a different name...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

nathalievanherpen
09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by pam

Yes. It is. It's also about time to move this topic about the 'Q' into off-topic. (I'd move it into Science and Technology, but somehow I have a hard time thinking of the 'Q' in either of those terms).
Pam

Wow Pam , i saw your picture in the your main album. What in godsname happened?

nathalievanherpen
09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Hi, do you really think that this "footwalker" is so bad? I really like to buy a segway but i do not have the budget right now...

I would like to use it on only smooth surfaces...

As i see to their demo video on their website it even drives on grass!

Does anyone has really experience with it? I see so many bad critics, maybe the are right but are their people here that have really driven this Q or footwalker?

pam
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
That picture corroborates a moment of stupidity when I wasn't paying attention. You can do some damage when you wipe concrete with your face at 10mph.

I've ridden the Q. It does not compare to the HT. Like the difference between having a car and having kiddy-car, IMHO. However, if your finances will not stretch to the HT, you could get it. It's just not comparable to the HT. It's a different animal that tries to look like an HT.
Pam

william collins
10-01-2005, 06:07 PM
My "Q" is for sale ..I only rode it up the street and back once.I have a rather steep driveway ..My i167 goes up it very easy but the "Q" stalls out ..Mayby because I'm a heavy weight (281 lbs) I also thought I could not afford a Seg and I bought the "Q" ..And at the same time I won my i167 on E-bay ..was a former members here ..Guess you get what you pay for "Q" a few hundred---Segway a few thousand ..ANY ONE WANT THE "Q" ITS CHARGED UP AND READY FOR SOMEONE ..E-mail me

IN GOD WE TRUST