PDA

View Full Version : Orlando News and Miami Herald has pick this up!

NEVrland
02-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Disney World's Segway Restriction Upsets Disabled
Spokeswoman: FDA Hasn't Approved Segways

POSTED: 9:30 AM EST February 7, 2004

ORLANDO, Fla. -- People with disabilities who use Segways to get around are upset they can't bring the self-balancing transportation devices into the theme parks at Walt Disney World.

Some people are very surprised at the policy, especially since Disney has a reputation for accommodating the disabled, and since Disney employees use Segways at the parks.

But a spokeswoman says Disney World doesn't allow the Segways into the parks because they haven't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as medical devices.

Disney World isn't the only place to restrict the use of Segways.

They're also prohibited at Disney's California parks -- Disneyland and California Adventure. Sea World Orlando says it doesn't allow them for safety reasons and San Francisco last year outlawed them on its sidewalks.

Orlando's other major theme park resort, Universal Orlando, doesn't have a policy on Segways.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Keith Albrizzi NEVrland, Inc. Relay Transportation 407-566-0911 Segway Service, Sales and Rentals

gotseg
02-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Cummon food and drug administration! Get the ball a-movin!

gotseg?

No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en:
In brief, sir, study what you most affect.

ions82
02-07-2004, 07:55 PM
From what I understand, if the Seg was approved, the price would increase significantly. I'm sure LLC would need to more insurance coverage than they could ever afford. If it were approved, I'm sure I'd have no problem obtaining one through insurance coverage. However, I'm almost glad that it isn't approved because the higher cost would mean it would be out of reach for almost everyone. Someone told me that it would probably cost twice as much. Power wheelchairs have about 25% of the technological power of a Segway yet can easily cost 10-15 thousand dollars. I wonder how much of that goes to insurance companies that are trying to recover from frivolous lawsuits and the ridiculous prices that medical supply companies KNOW they can get. And THEY have to pay their insurance providers, too! I don't know, but I'd rather save up $4K than have LLC and the Seg get caught up in that mess.

gotseg
02-07-2004, 10:14 PM
gotseg?

No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en:
In brief, sir, study what you most affect.

jrmiller
02-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Greetings to all, Last year I spent a 8 1/2 day in Universal Studios theme park in Orlando, FL WITHOUT ANY HASSLES ON MY HT !!! What a comlete joy to have spent a day with my family without me being a burden due to mobility issues. It seem that after a day in the park, no one had been run over , bruised, maimed, disfigured, killed or otherwise inconvienced in any way , except for me . That was only due to the inquizitive with comments and questions about the Segway, both park patrons as well as park employees!! HOORAAAY for Universal.... WDW shame on you. SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR

mister_bigtime
02-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Does this mean I can not use my cane at WDW because it is not FDA approved, or a Rascal Scooter also not FDA approved.

Florida Ever-Glides
02-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Maybe if a key was designed for 'use' at WDW and other restrictive places that limited the speed at 3mph some of the safety concern would disappear. You wouldn't want to go any faster than the general public anyway.

Somebody should make this suggestion to the people at Disney and see what they say. I think 'potential speed' is one of their major concerns.

Tom Jacobson