PDA

View Full Version : On ramp to success

Seeker
09-11-2002, 04:17 PM
It appears that despite its 80 pound weight , the Segway may be able to :
- be moved up stairs with relative ease
- be moved into a car or other vehicle, with the help of a ramp

3 questions spring to mind, which relate to these points :

1) What types of activities would be opened up for you in towns and cities, if you had the ability to move your Segway up stairs easily, and could then use it at the top of the stairs ?

2) How large a ramp would the Segway likely be able to climb up, if operated in ‘follow mode’ ? As zig pointed out, a 30 degree ramp can be climbed by a rider. So if the machine was in follow mode, could it likely climb a ramp in excess of 30 degrees, or less than 30 degrees ? ( The coefficent of friction for the surface is one factor which I think would affect this result)

3) What type of ramp could you see being used by people to move their Segway onto a high surface ? I can think of a retractable wooden ramp, where one piece fits into the other, or a canvass ramp, so that it could be portable. What type of design would you envision for such a ramp ?

Seeker

n/a
09-11-2002, 06:30 PM
I really would like to be able to ride up ramps on the Segway rather than push it or pull it up.

baantjer
09-11-2002, 06:38 PM
30 degrees is a lot!

I wouldn't like to climb a ramp (with or without Segway) of more than 30 degrees (at least not on leather soled shoes)

Isn't 30 degress equivalent to a 57% incline?

Casey
09-11-2002, 06:57 PM
I'm too lazy, you can do the math.

http://www.electric-bikes.com/incline.htm

Casey
09-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Looks like 33.3%

baantjer
09-11-2002, 07:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

Looks like 33.3%

I thought that would be Tan(30) * 100% = 57.7%

Casey
09-11-2002, 07:23 PM
I've been out of school and that kind of work too long to debate advanced math with you. I just used the formula found on the site I posted the link to.

baantjer
09-11-2002, 07:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

I've been out of school and that kind of work too long to debate advanced math with you. I just used the formula found on the site I posted the link to.

Anyway, 30 degrees will rise 7" for every foot

Seeker
09-11-2002, 07:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by baantjer

30 degrees is a lot!

I wouldn't like to climb a ramp (with or without Segway) of more than 30 degrees (at least not on leather soled shoes)

Isn't 30 degress equivalent to a 57% incline?

I'm thinking it might be possible to walk beside the ramp, and with the help of the power assist, to push the Segway up.

I'm still trying to figure out whether a riderless Segway could go up a steeper ramp, or a less steep ramp, than a Segway with a person on it. I think as long as the ramp had a high enough coefficient of friction, then a riderless Segway could go up a steeper ramp. But if the ramp was slippery, then the weight of the Segway alone, might not be enough to keep the wheels from slipping.

Seeker

Seg-wager
09-12-2002, 10:03 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:30 degrees is a lot!

Well, I would agree with Lawrence if I could ride a Segway up the ramp it wouldn't be so bad. I would rather ride a Segway than walk an incline of 30+ degrees, for sure! Interested to see the follow mode in action on stairs, though.