PDA

View Full Version : Disneys Answer to Mobility devices in the Park

jrmiller
02-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Greetings to all. I just received an answer by email from WDW reference the use of Segway HTs in trhe oparks. The following is the answere, but it did not really answere the question proposed in the letter I sent which follosw the Disney message.

Dear Jr,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

You are permitted to bring your own wheelchair and/or electronic convenience
vehicle's to our parks. In addition, there are medical supply companies in the
local area that take reservations for these vehicles.

These companies will deliver to and pickup from any Walt Disney World Resort.
You may wish to consider one of these options.

We have listed local companies that rent electronic convenience vehicle's,
please note these agencies are not affiliated with the Walt Disney World Resort.

Equipment Rental Agencies

Walker Medical (407) 518-6000 / 888- SCOOTER (726-6837)

CARE (407) 896-2273 / 800-741-2282

APRIA (formerly Abbey) - (only wheelchair rentals) 407-291-2229 / 800-338-1640

For suggestions on what activities may be offered during your upcoming visit,
please check with our Front Desk or Guest Services location when you arrive at
our resort.

All WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort accommodations also include specialized facilities
for those who need such assistance. If you feel there is a need for a room with
special equipment, please call our Special Requests department at:

(407)939-7806, Option #1

Disney TDD Line for hearing impaired

(407)939-7670

We hope this information is helpful! If further assist is needed, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

See you real soon! If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free
to contact us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Lindi Licea

Online Guest Service
WALT DISNEY WORLD
P.O. Box 10100
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0100

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

To Whom It May Concern
Dear Sir/Madame, I have been planning a trip to the Orlando area and
would like information and policy of WDW on mobility devices permitted
in the Kingdom and theme parks. I have Parkinsons Disease and have
difficulty walking. I do not use a wheelchair device as per my
Neurologist insructions but rely upon a Segway HT for my mobility
device. I would like to know the policy of WDW as to the use of this
device in the theme parks and surrounding facilities. Thank you for
your attention to this matter. Respectfully, JR Miller

What is their definition of "electrconic devices" ? Nowhere did they address the HT situation. I'll try it again.. STay tuned for the next episode. SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR

ZoliHonig
02-03-2004, 10:29 PM
I hope mobility devices includes the sgway!

[8]-Zoli[8]

wenbias
02-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Jerry, I think you received WWD Mickey Mouse Form 22A. Doesn't really say anything does it?

X-man
02-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Let's face it. Disney properties are Mickey Mouse, a little Goofy and always able to (Donald) Duck the issue at hand.

The Lone Glider! :)

jrmiller
02-04-2004, 12:12 AM
XMAN, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have resent the request for a definition of convenience vehicles and what they include or exclude as part of the "park". I also asked to address the Segway HT specifically. We will see what kind of mickey mouse answere I get next time. Why ccan't they just come out and say what they mean??? SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR

tpkanaley
02-05-2004, 03:51 PM
I don't know, kids, I think this sentence says it all: "You are permitted to bring your own wheelchair and/or electronic convenience
vehicle's to our parks." This does not specifically say (nor does any of the rest of the letter) that you even have to 'require' the "electonic convenience vehicle" due to a disability. As a matter of fact, I would argue that by calling it a "CONVENIENCE" vehicle, they are saying anyone can bring any electronic moving device into the park. How about a bunch of electric Razor scooters?

I say, take the letter and take the Segway and go and have a wonderful time. :)

Tim

jrmiller
02-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Tim, Right...It would be my luck to get there and be stopped at the gate andbe told thatthat letteerdid not aply to the kingdomem (EPCOT,MAGIC ETC). I am still waiting on another answere to the same letter to further explain electric convienience vehicle and just what is included or excluded in the term"Parks".. More when the answer arrives. JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT

Florida Ever-Glides
02-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Disabled or not, even if Disney allowed my Segway in their park I wouldn't bring it. I could not trust parking it safely at all the rides without someone trying to get on. Also, it would probably create a traffic problem from curious onlookers which could become a security issur. For now, in an area of roughly 30,000 people it is probably safer for people and the segway to just leave it at home.

I hope that someday the segway becomes so commonplace that it is welcomed everywhere without the worry of pedestrian safety and machine security.

Tom Jacobson

jrmiller
02-06-2004, 09:10 AM
I agree about the traffic problem, but that would diminish like anything else that is new to the public in general. Were electric wheel chairs thought of the same way then first introduced? More importantly is the issue of being able to take an HT in as a mobility device or being told that you have to: 1) use a device that is not what you are used to using 2)use one that you have been advdise not to use by your Neurologist. Would you not become a hazard trasversing on equipment with which you were unframilar? The issue is not whether you want to take one into a theme park, but being told what moblity device ( electric cocnvienience) you are to use. JR

Florida Ever-Glides
02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
I agree totally with JRMILLER. There should not be any distinction between one mobility device and another. What works best for one person may not be for another. If the ADA states that mobility devices must be provided or allowed, Disney should NOT distinguish any safe device based on their own preferences.

The Segway HT was specifically designed to interact safely in urban areas.

The novelty of the Segway may cause onlookers to stop gaze the the marvelous machine, but this happens to me every day. It would take up less space than a wheelchair at the theme parks and frankly be more manueverable.

Maybe Disney should take the responsible lead in allowing the Segway in the parks when medically necessary. At most, there wouldn't be more than one or two on the park grounds at any given time.

The only concern I would still have is curious people trying to stand on the machine while I had it parked.
But that would be my risk in bringing it.

Disney, please set a world example by giving the limited use of the segway an opportunity to prove it's already proven safety record. In turn you will reap the 'marketing' reward with the positive attention it would receive and the few individuals who rely on the Segway as their primary form of mobility will sing the praises.

Tom Jacobson

jrmiller
02-06-2004, 02:40 PM
YUP YUP YUP I agree. Do not disregard the option to choose.

jrmiller
02-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Go to the newspaper article posted by NEVerland. Kind of says it all ... you come and play with my toys and leave yours at home or just do not come and play!! JR Still no answer re the definitions of electric convience vehicle and what areas are included or excluded as the PARK? JR

SEGWAYRON
02-17-2004, 12:36 AM
WITH THE I-BOT CHAIR COMING OUT SOON DO YOU THINK THAT WILL KILL THE CHANCES OF THE SEGWAY HT GETTING ADA APPROVAL?

jrmiller
02-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Segwayron, No I do not think that it will effect what the ADA does. They I hope will act as an independant judge and come to a verdict with the evidence of facts presented and not use hersay or rumors to bias their judgment. SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR :>)

jrmiller
02-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Greetings, Today is the 17th of February and I have not received an answer from Disney. I resent the request again for the third time and will wait and see if I get any response..... again. JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT

bobj4172
03-25-2004, 01:53 AM
This looks like the answer you didn't want to hear.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-02-09-disney-vs-segway_x.htm

Okeechobee Wind
03-25-2004, 10:23 AM
One little step at a time. There will come the day when Segway HT's are the norm all over the country. Maybe all over the world, Disney World that is.
We must keep these stories in the mainstream news to benifit both Segway and disabled operators.

Toothgrinder
04-20-2004, 11:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by jrmiller

What is their definition of "electrconic devices" ? Nowhere did they address the HT situation. I'll try it again.. STay tuned for the next episode. SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR

This whole thing is strange to me because one of the coolest videos I saw before I got my Segway was a movie of Segways being used at Disney World!! What's up with that?--given the topic of this thread? There is a link to movies and pictures here at Epcot:

Here's the general webpage
http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/video.htm

Here's the link to the movie
http://www.robbalvey.com/segway.zip

And here is a link to pictures
http://www.themeparkreview.com/flspring04/flspring1.htm

So, apparently SOMETIMES Disney World permits Segways. I hope this info helps someone figure it out because I sure am confused.

--
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

BruceWright
04-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Those are guided tours for an extra fee led by Disney Cast Members before opening hours of the park.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

Toothgrinder
04-21-2004, 03:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

Those are guided tours for an extra fee led by Disney Cast Members before opening hours of the park.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

I see. Thanks for that. I had thought that perhaps the training mentioned allowed them to continue to use the Segway after the park opened, but this is not the case.

--
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

ions82
04-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Disney. Ugh. It's like the Wal-Mart of amusement parks. No Segs in the park unless you drop $80 to rent one of theirs? What a joke. After a move like that, I can't believe anyone would even consider going there on a Seg or try to get them permitted.

jrmiller
04-24-2004, 10:30 AM
ions .... do not dispare, the walls of the mouse house may yet come tumbling down. It will take some time but I think with continued pressur and help from DRAFT, it may come to pass that you will see HT's on the WDW grounds for those who use them as their mobility device. Patience is a virtue and the search for the all might dollar can be a pestilance. JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT