PDA

View Full Version : 72V DC battery wanted

GuileSN
02-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I am a student of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro ( Brazil ), and am working on a project that requires a 72V DC source for 4 propulsors of 0.5 HP ( total 2HP ). This battery should work for 8 hours with 0.5 HP ( average ), and with peaks of 2HP that would take around 5 minutes, and that would happen after every 20 minutes.

Would it be possible to be achieved with a battery like the Segway's one, adapted for 72V ?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

stevew
02-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Segway batteries are 72V each a 3.0 amp hours, (60 nickel metal hydride sub-c cells per pack, organized as two 30 cell 36V series strings ) The Segway uses two packs, which it alternates between to balance the discharge of the two packs.
Hope this helps

gotseg
02-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Im fairly sure that would work, may be able to get by with just 1 battery. What your gunna have to figure out is which are the + and - pins out of the (4) total i think.

gotseg?

No profit grows where is no pleasure ta'en:
In brief, sir, study what you most affect.

W9GFO
02-08-2004, 02:14 AM
It would take 5 amps at 72 volts to make .5 hp

746 watts/2 = 373 (.5 hp)

373 watts/72 volts = 5.18 amps

The Segway batteries are 3000 mah, they can put out 3 amps for one hour.

You'll need at least 50 amp hours to run for 8 hours considering losses. That would be 16 Segway batteries, $4,800. Ouch!

Six 12 volt 50 amp hour AGM batteries would work nicely, would weigh a couple hundred pounds.

Rich H

quote:Originally posted by GuileSN

Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I am a student of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro ( Brazil ), and am working on a project that requires a 72V DC source for 4 propulsors of 0.5 HP ( total 2HP ). This battery should work for 8 hours with 0.5 HP ( average ), and with peaks of 2HP that would take around 5 minutes, and that would happen after every 20 minutes.

Would it be possible to be achieved with a battery like the Segway's one, adapted for 72V ?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

KSagal
02-08-2004, 03:07 AM
W9GFO's comment of 6 twelve volt batteries sounds similiar to my electric golf cart. I agree that the configuration discribed would work, but the size of the golf cart is needed because of the several hundered pounds of batteries.

I must wonder how large GuileSN's device is. Anyone that tries hard to compare my golf cart with my segway has quite a project, indeed!

Karl Ian Sagal

terry
02-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Any of you guys get a depleted segway batt you can sell me? I'd prefer e or p series. Sounds dumb I know, but it's for an art project.....

TCHansen

W9GFO
02-19-2004, 01:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by terry

Any of you guys get a depleted segway batt you can sell me? I'd prefer e or p series. Sounds dumb I know, but it's for an art project.....

TCHansen

Do you want the whole battery or just the casing?

Rich H