PDA

View Full Version : SEGWAY FEST 2004!!

fathertime
01-22-2004, 08:56 PM
We think we have found the ideal place for SegwayFest 2004.

Imagine yourself gliding through idyllic parkland with beautiful vistas in an entirely Segway friendly atmosphere. Think fountains, think parkland, think marinas, think golf. Think bliss!

There is a spa onsite, multiple bars, pools galore, activities for you (and your family)!
You can Segway and attend stimulating conferences with topics from the technical to the commercial to special workshops on regulatory and design issues! Ask the question that is tripping off your tongue - what is new on the battery front!
We will have vendor booths and dealer booths, the latest accessories from Segway - hey, the latest model updates from Segway - maybe they will even announce the new 2005 model year at our conference!

The location is spectacular, the weather is spectacular, the airfares cheap (from everywhere - almost, sorry Kelsey), and the rates are going to be similar to last year.

What we need from you is an idea of how many might be interested and what the best time would be. We are looking at late August to early September. This year's Fest will be a three day affair with one day dedicated to workshops and applications of the Segway.

There will be an extraordinary event to cap off the Fest - can't comment much now, but, it is shaping up to be a doozie!

Please post and give us your opinions.

[^]:D[/:)][:O]:);)[:P]

JR

sailboss
01-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Okay............Where is it?
What city? etc?

Neelix
01-22-2004, 09:12 PM
I'm interested.

Jeez, this is going to be an annual event, I almost have enough saved for a Seg, then Segway Fest rolls around and *poof* the $$$ goes away.

Its worth it though. I can't wait to see everyone again.

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

fathertime
01-22-2004, 09:12 PM
We are unable to divulge that information at this time as we are still working on pricing the contract. We need to know the dates - so if you can give us that, we can give you the location.

But, it is nice!

JR

Ground Loop
01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
My recommendation would be to pick the 'cheaper' date. August and September are far enough to plan well ahead, and close enough together to make little difference. Sounds cool so far!

SegwayUtah
01-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Woo hoo!

As to the date, whichever date where the weather is more reasonable :) Weather.com has average highs and lows for individual days of the year.

Chris

kagudesu
01-22-2004, 10:09 PM
If cheaper is the word, then look for non-summer dates. Off season is always cheaper.

Before this thread came up, I was going to suggest San Diego as a possible location. Weather is always perfect and there are lots of things to do and see.

Cheers,

Andrew Crow

You own a Segway, now buy a Macintosh.

Zorba9
01-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey fathertime! I vote for September, some of us can't make August.

KOG

Zorba9.....

brina
01-22-2004, 10:18 PM
i would like if it were in mid august, school reasons, i dont really care except for that, last year i had a day between the end of SF and the start of classes, so it was pretty close to perfect for me. next fall they start on the aug 30. so uh yeah any time before that would be great for me :)

--maybe it would be best if sc members listed the dates where they couldn't attend, rather than when they would like to attend, im sure there are fewer dates. then the dates that would have the greatest number of attendies could be chosen.

--segway smiles

sabrina

wayne
01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I think it would help a lot to name the location, post the prices, dress code if any (not like last years surprise), name any and all special events and not keep everyone in the dark.
That way everyone will know if they want to come and what will be there. Then they can start making plans to take off work and etc.

Wayne

RAG1247
01-22-2004, 10:37 PM
imo, I can't imagine what the secret would be as to where it might be???????????????

you would like to know who would like to come, but can't even divulge the approximate location??????????

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

Brooster
01-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I think Fathertime talked about Sonesta Bay, or Key, or something like that--one of those Florida places--a while back. Hey, wherever it is, nobody does it better than Fathertime and Ladytime!

Brooster

RAG1247
01-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Brooster

I understand what was said before, but can't imagine any reason for asking interested participants of the possibilty of attending at a secret location.

It almost sounds like LLC may be running the proposed segfest, since they are masters at being secretive.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale
http://www.sonyguy.com/stars_rag2.gif[/img=left] [i]If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around youhttp://www.sonyguy.com/stars2.gif

Neelix
01-22-2004, 11:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by RAG1247

Brooster

I understand what was said before, but can't imagine any reason for asking interested participants of the possibilty of attending at a secret location.

It almost sounds like LLC may be running the proposed segfest, since they are masters at being secretive.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

LOL @ the LLC comment.

I think its fairly safe to assume a couple of things.

A) that it will be on Earth
B) that it will include at least one Segway [/e]
C) It will be a TON of fun
[:P]

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

Brooster
01-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Area 51 SegFest!

Brooster

beckpm
01-22-2004, 11:15 PM
I for one (and I know I am not alone) am ready to go anywhere at anytime for another experience like the last one! If the next one is half as good as the last one, It will be great!

Peter Beck
Arlington, Virginia

god1138
01-22-2004, 11:24 PM
My vote on dates? NOT Labor Day Weekend. PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEE not on that weekend. Anything BUT that weekend!

My reasoning? My family reunion is held yearly on that weekend... and if I miss it again, I'm going to be disowned! ; )

As far as the new 2005 model Segway, please, for goodness' sake Jim, tell me you didn't just say that! I don't have any more Star Wars collectibles to sell. I guess my 350-strong DVD collection is looking like the next target! Kidding! I love my movies!

As far as "unable to divulge details" goes, well, there's a marina and the weather's nice year round. So I'm thinking that it's got to be on a coast somewhere, with a marina and all, maybe Florida... I'm HOPING it's within driving range of Texas. Please, dear lord, let it be. I'd rather drive than fly... make a pilgrimage by land and not air. Not that I hate flying, because it's fine by me, but I want to pack up the family and take a road trip together, something we haven't done in a long, long time.

Ok... so no details to divulge. But can you at least drop a hint? Maybe a region, maybe a "starts with an '(insert letter here)' perhaps?

Gotta narrow the field a bit for us, Jim... we need more to hold our interest! ; )

see you there... wherever 'there' is!

-Robert
"BORN TO GLIDE"

Florida Ever-Glides
01-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Sounds like sunny Florida, which could be a great location. I live in Sarasota, FL which is one of the most Segway friendly cities in the U.S. If this other location falls through, Sarasota would embrace the SegFest and 'roll out the Red Carpet'. Hey, wherever it is, this year I'm there.

Please let us know soon.

Thomas Jacobson

maperrye1989
01-23-2004, 12:09 AM
He mentioned that is was the perfect place to ride Segs....um is anyone thinking about Celebration?? A city that has a major seg poulation? Just a thought. Also I agree mid-august is better for school reasons.

MATTHEW

dhugger
01-23-2004, 12:22 AM
I'd like it to be a summer weekend. I'd like to be able to make this year's Seg Fest.

-Derek Hugger-

mrleisure
01-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Same time as last year works great for me.

quote:Originally posted by fathertime

We are unable to divulge that information at this time

This is sublime.

Yup, it's a Segway event.

"In the future, we will all drive standing up"
David Byrne, in 1984

GlideMaster
01-23-2004, 12:32 AM
<center>:DWell have you all guessed yet?:D</center>

<center>http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/avatars/glidemaster.gif</center>

terryp
01-23-2004, 12:36 AM
If fathertime and crew are taking charge again this year, count us in wherever and whenever it is. August and September are both fine for us. San Diego does sound perfect, but so does what he describes...

Practicing safe Segs in Seattle

statmed
01-23-2004, 12:46 AM
I would love to make it this year. So for me either early to mid August or mid to late Sept.

Already have Labor Day Weekend booked.

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)

KSagal
01-23-2004, 01:01 AM
I would also be happy to attend almost any where at any time. Family friendly would be best.

With regard to the secret location, I believe that 'Bush' senior has a seg, and 'Bush'junior has been talking about Mars...

If I recall, Mars has less mass and less wind resistance, what would the battery range be there? We might get more glide miles for the charge!

Karl Ian Sagal

W9GFO
01-23-2004, 01:18 AM

We think we have found the ideal place for SegwayFest 2004.

Please post and give us your opinions.

[^]:D[/:)][:O]:);)[:P]

JR

If it's on the East coast we will probably not make it. So my opinion is, West coast is preferred.

Rich H

Stewbonz
01-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Fathertime and Ladytime put on such a spectacular event last year. Well worth the money. I'd say they earned the right to put together the next Fest. When ever, where ever they feel is best is good enough for me. I thought the Chicago Lakefront was just great! Lets see if they can top that.

JEFF JARVIS
ThailandSegwayTours.com

Sal
01-23-2004, 02:27 AM
GREAT!!!!! A Segway Fest where I can attend!!!!!! Please let everyone know well in advance!!!

-Sal

WooHoooO!

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

Sleepy
01-23-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm in...whenever, wherever. The last SegFest was so much more than I ever expected, I can't wait for the next one!

-Alex

SegwayUtah
01-23-2004, 02:53 AM
Hey, Jim: you did a good job last year. Can I make one request? There are a lot of people who would love to volunteer. I know that some of us offered to be volunteers a bunch of times (after being told that volunteers were needed) but never heard anything -- and then there weren't volunteers filling the "required positions" at the FesT at all :)

In other words, could we organize the whole volunteer thing this year? It'd be much appreciated.

So excited for the next annual gathering!

Chris

Freddy
01-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Hey Jim
If its Florida, later in Sept, helps weather wise.
You had spoke of Nov 11 weekend in Florida a few months ago
That was a great time for us snowbirds but
Since your doing Segfest 2
Count me in
Freddy

MagiMike
01-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Put me down as interested..
Any time, Any Place, and almost any cost.

Now whisper in my ear and tell me how you got Castro to agree to Havana [:O] (just Kidding folks !) [:o)]

;)

pam
01-23-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm interested. As long as I can make it work at work, I'm happy to be there, Father and Lady Time. August is not a good time for me, although things do calm down by labor day weekend. September is tied up around the 15th to the 20th.
Keep us posted!
Pam

wayne
01-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Why not just say July. All the schools are out and Aug and Sept. are some of the hottest months if it was down south.
Anywhere but Chicago would be best. That may give other people a chance to attend that could not last year.
I'm for July.

Wayne

dgbint
01-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi

One suggestion, can the venue be close to a Seg rental facility.
If I was to attend from Australia, I don't think that I would want to lug my iSeries 1/2 way round the world. I would rent one locally if possible.

Being near a rental facility might encourage a whole new bunch of participants ( long distance, families who have just one HT but several members with glide experience etc etc ).

I'd like to be in the info loop.

Michael

kagudesu
01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
It'd be cool if LLC provided some rentals for the event. Might encourage possible owners or people without HTs to come and get into it.

Cheers,

Andrew Crow

SegwayUtah
01-23-2004, 05:37 PM
I wish we knew the location so we could look at the weather :) If it's a humid location (and it sounds like it is), we probably want to avoid June, July, and most or all of August.

Chris

wayne
01-23-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm sure Fathertime will try his best to have someone there with rentals. They did in Chicago.
Last year LLC missed the boat, they could have not only rented Segs they could have sold some. I'll bet this year will be 100% different.

Seg-On

Sid Viscous
01-23-2004, 06:30 PM
"It'd be cool if LLC provided some rentals for the event. Might encourage possible owners or people without HTs to come and get into it."

Not only would it be a good revenue stream, but it wouldn't be that hard for them to do.

Stan671
01-23-2004, 07:45 PM
My father and I will attend Segway Fest 2004 no matter where and when it is.

Stan Dobrowski

fathertime
01-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Friends,
Sorry for all of the secrecy this is not my style, but we have to have the signed contracts from the venue in hand before we announce. I can tell you that the location is in Florida and we are looking at either the second week in September or Veterans day weekend in November (12th, 13th, & 14th). The venue is spectacular and extremely Segway friendly. We will definately have rentals on-site and lots of fun "destination oriented" activities. Ladytime and I are very pumped about this year's FEST and we think we've found a real winner!
I promise as soon as the deal is done I will give you all of the info you can eat![^]:D[:O]:);)[:P]

JR

wayne
01-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Just my opinion but Sept. would be best since the Nov. date is only a week from Thanksgiving and 6 weeks from Christmas.
What is everyone else opinion?

Wayne

dhugger
01-24-2004, 01:46 PM
fathertime, nov. 12th is my birthday! segfest sure would be an awesome present!

-Derek Hugger-

Jameskk
01-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Florida is great! Closer to the summer is best for me, September is good.

I just hope that Dean and Woz come again!

Freddy
01-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi Jim
I had a good feeling that Florida was in your plans.I'll just add my 2 cents again
This will be a great venue. All Positives.
Veterans weekend feels to be the best because the weather in Florida is very tolerable. This also extends the gliding season for us Snowbirds. And I think it will have the best chance for a good turnout because it won't interfer with other holidays or most folks previous plans for other times.
Second week of Sept is a good Second choice.
I couldn't think you could improve on Chicago SegFest, But this one definitely will.
Thanks
Freddy

rmason
01-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Ft Lauderdale
First weekend in May for the Air&SeaShow

Jameskk
01-24-2004, 06:09 PM
I hope it's in the Miami area, I've always wanted to visit Miami.

I bet it's Tampa.. cheaper rates

Although could be WDW, some of their resorts have a Marina.

fredkap
01-24-2004, 08:07 PM
I like Veterans day. It's almost two weeks before Thanksgiving, whereas the second week of September has everyone just getting back to school. Additionally, the weather should be a lot nicer in November. (Less humidity and less of a chance of a hurricane.) I don't want to wait the extra 2 months but there is a better possibility of my wife joining me in November. The spot that Fathertime is working on is ideal.

Fred

mrleisure
01-25-2004, 12:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by fredkap

Additionally, the weather should be a lot nicer in November.

I'm with Fred, I'd much rather visit Florida in November. In August, southern Florida is just too hot for comfort.

"In the future, we will all drive standing up"
David Byrne, in 1984

IndyFIRSTengineer
01-25-2004, 02:14 AM
WOOHOO !! I'LL BE THERE ! (Will there be another Segway raffle??) Growing up in Orlando and being very familiar with the weather there, my preference is November. However I don't think you will be able to keep me away regardless of the date. It would be great if we could grease the slides with one or more airlines to help ease our travel arrangements.

Stuart Bloom - Rolls-Royce Corporation
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike High School "RoboDevils"

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”
Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

X-man
01-25-2004, 10:17 AM
If my plans come to pass, there must be a place to park my new home.
Only requirement.

The Lone Glider! :)

fathertime
01-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Plenty of places to park X-Man, rentals for those of you who don't want to bring your own machines or who don't yet own your own machines, or for your HT-less spouse or friend, beautiful scenery, several swimming pools, great restaurants, golf, tennis, miles of trails to glide, and wonderful accommodations. We are looking into the Nov.12,13,& 14th dates (Veterans Day) right now to see if they can accommodate us! [^]:D[:O]:);)[:P]

JR

sailboss
01-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Yee-Ha! (Georgia-style!) We're going to Florida!! With a little luck, Ill be able to combine Segway Fest 2004 with the St. Pete Sailboat Show and a few days in the Keys in between!

Glad to here about the rentals.

"The seventh deadly sin is --Pizza!" -- Jimmy Buffett

Murray Fisher
01-25-2004, 12:16 PM
I vote for Orlando, as the wife is from that area!! Regarding rentals....I hope there are some reasonable rates. I would want one for the wife probably and would want it 24 hours a day. Would not want to go back to the rental place for an hours use all the time. One price I know about is $60 per hour, which gets pretty astronomical for full time for several days!! Rent a Lamborghini instead!!

Plenty of places to park X-Man, rentals for those of you who don't want to bring your own machines or who don't yet own your own machines, or for your HT-less spouse or friend, beautiful scenery, several swimming pools, great restaurants, golf, tennis, miles of trails to glide, and wonderful accommodations. We are looking into the Nov.12,13,& 14th dates (Veterans Day) right now to see if they can accommodate us! [^]:D[:O]:);)[:P]

JR

Murray Fisher

X-man
01-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Do vets get a discount?
Just asking!
Go Navy!!!!!!! Marines too, as a subset. [:0]

4Seg
01-25-2004, 05:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

Area 51 SegFest!

Brooster

lol... SegArea 51

SegArea: n. A place to ride your Segway without regulatory concerns. [u]syn.</u> Utopia [/:)]

be keen, keep clean, glide green.
Help support FIRST http://www.usfirst.org

phyl
01-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Florida for Vets Day. GREAT!!! Nroth Carolina is just up the road.
N4CKM

Sal
01-25-2004, 07:34 PM
I wonder how many will come to SegFest 2004? Counting me in, would be one more! Can't wait to meet all of you!

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

wheeler
01-25-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm in. I'd go with the best chance for good weather and lowest price in that order. I also think saying when we can't make it, is a good idea.

Wheeler

fredkap
01-25-2004, 11:36 PM
My wife has said she will join me! She can get massages and facials while I Seg. Maybe I'll rent a P for her! Sounds like a great time for all!

Fred

Dwarf84396
01-26-2004, 12:02 AM
I'll try to join in, as long as I can get away from school at that time and make the trek down to Florida. I'm hoping for the best!

Ben

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
Ashleigh Brilliant

stevew
01-26-2004, 03:32 AM
Florida sounds awesome to me, I've never been, and have wanted to do the Disneyworld thing for a long time, plus I'm a golfer so along with SF2004 I might just make a week or two out of it!

Zorba9
01-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Florida in the fall is beautiful! I'm from St.Pete/Clearwater originally. I'll bet there will be twice as many attendees at Segfest 2004. I wouldn't miss this one for anything!

KOG

Zorba9.....

ElectraGlide
01-26-2004, 11:18 AM
I'll certainly be there / here.

Steve

defenbaugh
01-26-2004, 03:38 PM
My wife said she will go if the Novermber date is firmed. She also asked if there will be a beach. She could care less, at this time, about the HT. I'm working on changing that now that I will have motleyorc's machine.

Ron
www.defenbaugh.org/basicweb/Segway/segway.htm

X-man
01-26-2004, 08:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by ElectraGlide

I'll certainly be there / here.

Steve

I KNEW it would be at your house, Steve. Hope the back yard is big enough. [:0]

ElectraGlide
01-26-2004, 09:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by X-man

[quote]Originally posted by ElectraGlide

I KNEW it would be at your house, Steve. Hope the back yard is big enough. [:0]

Sure! New game...how many Segs can we fit in one swimming pool !

Steve

fathertime
01-27-2004, 09:19 PM
No word yet on our dates from the hotel but I can tell you that the average high temperature at that time of year is about 82 degrees with a low of about 64 degrees. This seems to be perfect Segging weather to us. Scenery abounds at this venue along with plenty of ocean views. Shopping is close by, and some great restaurants on property.
As soon as we get the dates nailed down I will post plenty of photos to feast your eyes on.
We have several new fun activities planned that will allow you to have excursions on your HT in small groups and then rendezvous with everyone else at the conclusion of the activity for more fun and entertainment. We are expecting to double last years attendance with twice the fun and more person,to Seg,to person interaction.
This Fest will also allow more of you to participate on a volunteer basis then we were able to accommodate last year. We will not have to deal with all of the union help (and I use that term lightly)like we were forced to last year. This will make for a nicer experience for all of you and will make it easier on us to co-ordinate.
For those of you out there that are involved with a Segway business of any kind please be assured that we have not forgotten you either. We will have a special seminar day for you and your clients to help you target your market and to give you ideas for improving your bottom line.
We are excited by the changes going on at Segway and think that this will be a banner year for the HT.[^]:D[8)]:);)[:P]

JR

wayne
01-27-2004, 10:00 PM
Fathertime and Ladytime as soon as the location is nailed down I'm sure everyone would love to see lots of pictures.
I'm sure you will have plenty volunteers as time gets near but if I can do anything from here let me know.
Since it looks like it may be in November it may be a chance I won't made it (Christmas rush) but the offer still goes for any help.

Seg-On
Wayne

Burke
01-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Count us in for Florida. I don't know how you could beat last years experience, but we are willing to try! The only negative about last years was the expense of shipping our two Segs out there and back. The Hotel and the freight company charged us a lot of money...$1,000.00 for just our two Segs. This didn't include the room or the airfare. It was quite expensive. We will rent if we can't find out the costs before hand!

Dick and Janice

Burke
01-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Oops, forgot to add our vote for when....Janice and I would prefer Veteran's Day in November for Segfest 2004. The weather would be much better that time of year.

Dick and Janice

Lohja
01-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Florida is a big State from North to South. The further North you stay in Florida--the better I like it. I have relatives in Ft. Myers, Miami, Vero Beach, Leesburg and Jacksonville. I hope you go no further South than Orlando. Being on the ocean or the Gulf is no big deal. In any event, I'll probably go to this "fest". Driving from Virginia, I'll stop in Myrtle Beach, SC for a few days to avoid driving over 8-hours at a time. By the way, has anyone checked on air fares lately. Some flights that were once $150 are now $800. What's going on?

opti6600
01-28-2004, 12:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lohja

Florida is a big State from North to South. The further North you stay in Florida--the better I like it. I have relatives in Ft. Myers, Miami, Vero Beach, Leesburg and Jacksonville. I hope you go no further South than Orlando. Being on the ocean or the Gulf is no big deal. In any event, I'll probably go to this "fest". Driving from Virginia, I'll stop in Myrtle Beach, SC for a few days to avoid driving over 8-hours at a time. By the way, has anyone checked on air fares lately. Some flights that were once $150 are now $800. What's going on?

Strategery.

Itsi Atkins
01-28-2004, 06:12 PM
I would like to suggest that this year more time be given for exhibitors to set up and remove their items. It would be great if the exhibiting and sales hours were extended, so we can have a chance to attend some of the panels and discussions. In addition please try to allow the general public to have access without registering for the entire event. What is the retail tax requirements for this years venue. thanks and looking forward to more information.

wayne
01-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Itsi,

I believe I had the same problem as you.
One reason for the rush was that the banquet was being held in the same room causing us to rush to get out.
One thing that could have helped me was if I had someone come with me. That way I could have gone to hear some of the speakers and had help hauling everything back to the hotel.
I'm sure for the ones who go this year things will be better.

One thing I would like to suggest is that if there is a banquet that the winners of the games, contest and other awards be recognized during the banquet.

As for the general public, they should pay a small fee to get in.

Wayne

fathertime
01-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Friends,
Thanks for all of the suggestions...keep them coming! We realized that the vendors were caught in a pinch due to our space and time constrictions. This year we will have more space and an extra day to get everything done. Please feel free to let us know what we can do to make this year's Fest even better and we will make every effort to do so!:D[^]:);)[:P]

JR

SegwayUtah
01-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Jim,

Is this going to be over a weekend or is it going to be a Thursday-Saturday type of affair? A lot of us need to be able to take off Saturday night or Sunday morning and would just die if we missed the keynote/baquet/etc. :)

Chris

fathertime
01-29-2004, 12:11 AM
We are shooting for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday so that as many folks as possible can attend.
Additionally we just had a thought that we would like everyone to comment on. It turns out that the venue is available for Halloween weekend and we thought that it might be great fun to do a costume thing with Segway Ghosts, etc. Chime in here and let us know what you think![^]:D:);)[:P]

JR

SegwayUtah
01-29-2004, 12:28 AM
JR,

If it's going to be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, could we have the banquet and/or other "big events" Saturday night?

:)

Haloween could be fun too! But some people need to be home with the kids that weekend too.

Chris

jrmiller
01-29-2004, 01:03 AM
Did someone say ti was to be held at Walt Disney World theme parks???? HOO HOO HOOO :&gt;) JR

KSagal
01-29-2004, 02:59 AM
I'm good with the Idea of November, and if on Veterans Day, what of Monday?

I would rather not have it at Holloween, because I have young children, and this is more their holiday. I often play the child, but they get first pass...

Karl Ian Sagal

kagudesu
01-29-2004, 04:52 AM
I won't be able to make it if it's Halloween. Can't spend Halloween away from the kids.

Cheers,

Andrew Crow

defenbaugh
01-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Veterans day weekend is my vote as opposed to Halloween.

Ron

ElectraGlide
01-30-2004, 01:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by jrmiller

Did someone say ti was to be held at Walt Disney World theme parks????

Jim said there are ocean views........if it's at Disney, the hotel will have to be 2000 feet or higher to see the ocean.

Steve

fathertime
01-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Friends,
Our venue cannot accommodate us on Veterans Day so we are looking at the 8th, 9th and 10th of October or the 15th, 16th, & 17th of October...any preferences?[^]:D:)[:P];)

JR

Lohja
01-30-2004, 11:48 PM

Friends,
Our venue cannot accommodate us on Veterans Day so we are looking at the 8th, 9th and 10th of October or the 15th, 16th, & 17th of October...any preferences?[^]:D:)[:P];)
JR

I vote 8,9,10. It gives us a free day to travel home.

RAG1247
01-30-2004, 11:51 PM
15, 16, 17 of october

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

KSagal
01-30-2004, 11:59 PM
either weekend is okay with me, but the airlines often go from on-season to off-season right about then. It may be worth checking out...

Karl Ian Sagal

terryp
01-31-2004, 12:32 AM
Either weekend is fine with us.

wayne
01-31-2004, 01:38 AM
October is good.

Seg-On
Wayne

sailboss
01-31-2004, 08:22 AM
15,16,17 is okay

"The seventh deadly sin is --Pizza!" -- Jimmy Buffett

fredkap
01-31-2004, 01:24 PM
One of our boys will be a freshman at Univ of Colorado - Boulder and parent's weekend is October 16th thus the weekend of October 9th works for us. I believe most college parent's weekends are Oct. 16th.

Fred

Boston Univ's parent's weekend is also Oct 16th

defenbaugh
01-31-2004, 04:19 PM
October is good for us.

Ron

Itsi Atkins
01-31-2004, 05:02 PM
check and see if the Queen Mary 2 will be in port. Its a great thing to see

statmed
02-01-2004, 12:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by fredkap

My wife has said she will join me! She can get massages and facials while I Seg. Maybe I'll rent a P for her! Sounds like a great time for all!

That is the second reason that my wife would come as well. The first is so we can spend some time with our son and future daughter in law in Tampa. He's getting married in Tampa on Oct. 15, so if we can work around that date, it would be great.

WOW, if we can have it Oct. 8-10th, I can go to Tampa after Segfest and help my son with the wedding the following week.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT THE WEEKEND OF THE 15TH. I don't want to miss it again this year.

Would a Pretty please help!!

H.M. Stern
statmed@optonline.net

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together (Hannibal Smith)

Freddy
02-01-2004, 08:08 PM
RATS !!! Well October will be OK Weekend of 15,16,17 is a favorite
Freddy

Mr_Laurenzano
02-01-2004, 09:04 PM
October is a good month.
I would love to meet all ya all.
Hey bruce lets car pool with neelix. I get a get deal with enterprise

peace is a oneway street, with no crossroads and no deadends

IndyFIRSTengineer
02-02-2004, 02:11 PM
One of the only things that could keep me away is not seeing my daughter over her fall break from college (Oct 9-12)...

It will have to be Oct 15-17 for me (unless I bring her and rent her a "P" series).

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”

fathertime
02-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Hi Kids:D
We've reserved October 8th, 9th, and 10th for SegwayFest! 2004.
The contracts are being prepared at the moment and we should have them in hand by weeks end. We are very excited about this year's Fest and can't wait to spill the beans.
We choose this weekend so that those of you who have the added advantage of a long weekend, due to Columbus Day, will be able to take that extra day to either travel, or relax, at this beautiful venue.
We are currently engaged in talks with LLC and hope to have some surprises to unveil at the Fest! We wanted to let you know the dates asap so that you can make plans to join us...it's going to be a blast!
[^]:D[:I][:o)][:X][/:)][8)][:O]:);)[:P]

JR

KSagal
02-03-2004, 12:30 AM
I'm considering driving down from Boston. I'm not a big fan of Flying with the segway. I would also be very intersted to find if someone else might want to carpool. It looks like I may be driving the entire length of Rt I95. Anybody along the way want a lift?

Karl Ian Sagal

Sal
02-06-2004, 09:30 AM
October sounds great, lets get the dates settled on and we can all request time off now before meetings pop up!

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

EricNR
02-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Oct. 8-10 sounds great. I deeply regret not going to chicago, I won't let this one slip by. I will probably drive down from NY. We are not big fans of flying at all. I'm itching to make reservations, when will all the info be available? I'm itching to get this in motion. Its interesting how much seg related stuff makes you feel like a kid again:)
Eric

fathertime
02-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Friends,
If you can be patient a little longer we will be happy to give you all of the details. We have the contracts in hand and are currently negotiating for the best rate for everyone. I think in about a week or so we can give you all of the details.
In conferences with Segway this week we had nothing but positive and supportive comments. They are completely behind our effort and are looking forward to being with us in full force for SegwayFest! 2004. We will be having several tracks this year for a delightful variety of interests and we will be involving many more volunteers in our community. Stay tuned![^]:D[:O][8)]:);)[:P]

JR

docdo123
02-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey, lets either gang up on Disney either in protest or lets go to Daytona Beach to have a Seg Week kind of like its Speed week and or Bike Week. Daytona hotels are dirt cheap as is the beer and women. Wear your leathers just in case. I vote for late August or September.

IndyFIRSTengineer
02-09-2004, 08:38 AM

...We will be having several tracks this year for a delightful variety of interests ...
PLEASE Jim ... Seg-polo (http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6718) MUST be included ... :D

ElectraGlide
02-11-2004, 10:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by docdo123

I vote for late August or September.

Still a lot of heat, humidity, and rain in those months....better weather in November for gliding if everyone can wait that long.

Steve

apollo
02-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Sweet, Florida.. only a hop, skip, and a 7 hour (at least) drive from Birmingham! I didn't make last year's fest b/c I heard about it much too late. I hope I can go to this one. I'll be a freshman in college at the time. So, depending on whether I'm in California, Alabama, Georgia, or Mass. will be the biggest factor in determinging whether i get to go or not. But I've already marked my iCal calender and am saving up the $$$.

Turtle
02-17-2004, 06:51 PM
OK, so... WHERE?

=========================
Segway owner since 09/02:
Oldest Segway in Maryland
=========================

IndyFIRSTengineer
02-18-2004, 04:24 PM

Friends,
If you can be patient a little longer we will be happy to give you all of the details...C'mon Pop ... I'm so anxious I am about to burst :D [/:)]... PLEASE let us off the hook !! [8D] [^] [:P]

fathertime
02-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Thank you Brooster.
We are still negotiating with the hotel but as soon as the contract is signed, all will be revealed. We also hope to be able to release a preliminary set of topics and track chairpeople by the beginning of March.

Thank you all for your patiences at this time. We will be back with you shortly.

[/:(][^]:D[/:)]:);)

JR

Stewbonz
02-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Jim,
We will be standing by for your announcment. Last year, you and the organizers went way beyond the call of duty in setting up the event.
We have faith.

JEFF JARVIS
ThailandSegwayTours.com

fredkap
02-19-2004, 02:07 AM
SegFest 2005 in Bangkok!!!???

Those that want to drive may have some issues and we might lose some of the less committed but I understand that Jeff is making the town very Seg friendly!

Just an idle post while we wait for Jim and Chandra to polish the fest for Oct 2004!

I'd go anywhere!!!

Fred

Sal
02-19-2004, 11:33 AM
NOOOOO!!!! Oh no!!! I Have to attend a medical conference in Washington DC on the 8-10th... I'll try my best to get out of it, but I can understand the philosophy of the 8-10th selection of dates, can it be the next weekend??? Please?

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

Boom Boom Man
02-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Washington DC may make a push for 2005. The city has plenty of interesting places for gliding, both intown and off road. Home to leaders in transportation, as well as an opportunity for everyone to spend some time Hill visiting with their State's representatives on the hill.

Florida Ever-Glides
02-22-2004, 03:12 PM
OK. I give up. Where's the SegFest? Please.... My guess, it's gonna be .........

Tom Jacobson

Uki
02-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm hoping to get mine before the FIRST Championship in Atlanta, GA this year. I would love to attend segway fest, as soon as the details come out i'll make my reservations.

fathertime
02-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Dear Friends,
Due to the cost of shipping machines and the handling fees for SegwayFest! 2004 We are arranging to have lots of rental machines (both "I"s and "P"s) on site for folks that are traveling and don't want the hassle of transporting their machines. We expect demand to be high for rentals and we are not going to limit the rentals to any one dealer so that all may have equal access. Based on standard shipping costs and the fact that there will be a $63.00 freight handling charge(mandated by the venue) we expect rentals for the three days of the Fest to be $250.00 or under.
Dealers here's your chance to get your bid in for all the rentals we will need at the Fest! Please contact us offline for particulars and conditions for your participation. [^]:D[:O]:);)[:P]

P.S. Complete details coming soon...we are still negotiating for the best package and most fun to be had for all of our membership. We will announce the venue and dates very soon! Thanks for your understanding and patience.

JR

IndyFIRSTengineer
02-25-2004, 01:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by fathertime (from Feb 2)

Hi Kids:D
We've reserved October 8th, 9th, and 10th for SegwayFest! 2004.
The contracts are being prepared at the moment ...
quote:Originally posted by fathertime (from Feb 24)

... We will announce the venue AND DATES very soon...
Jim, Are you saying the dates have NOT been set?

fredkap
02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Jim, I'm guessing that the hardest part of your job is that the hotel wants you to commit on a set number of rooms and you can only give them a best guess. Good luck wrapping up the negitiations!

Fred

fathertime
02-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Yes Fred we are arm wrestling the venue to get the best package and prices with the most advantages for our membership. We are very close to a very good deal and some exciting new activities for us all. LLC is equally as excited about the possibilities and we are making plans for a fantastic SegwayFest! 2004 that should prove to be quite memorable. We will try to conclude our negotiations asap but want to make sure that we have left no stone unturned. We can't wait to tell all of you what our plans are but we don't want to prejudice the negotiations just yet! Hang in there![^]:D[:O]:)[:P]

JR

Florida Ever-Glides
02-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Is the number of replys to this thread a record? I'm guessing that there will be three times the number that attended last year. It sounds like the effort will result in a fantastic and fun program for everybody.

Tom Jacobson

tpkanaley
02-29-2004, 09:09 PM
I don't know, I am new to this and all, but this thread is rediculous? Why would you post more than a month ago that you have a venue and then keep everyone guessing...not only on the place, but on the dates as well!? I would love to attend my first FEST this year, but at this point I'm feeling pretty turned off.

I hope we at DC SEG will do a better job of "unveiling" if we decide to try to go for 2005!

Hmmm...generating a lot of hype and keeping people guessing? Is this some sort of Segway disease? I hope I don't catch it.

Sorry to be such a cynic, but really ...

Tim

Lohja
02-29-2004, 09:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by tpkanaley

I don't know, I am new to this and all, but this thread is rediculous? Why would you post more than a month ago that you have a venue and then keep everyone guessing...not only on the place, but on the dates as well!? I would love to attend my first FEST this year, but at this point I'm feeling pretty turned off.

I hope we at DC SEG will do a better job of "unveiling" if we decide to try to go for 2005!

Hmmm...generating a lot of hype and keeping people guessing? Is this some sort of Segway disease? I hope I don't catch it.

Sorry to be such a cynic, but really ...

Tim

I can't say I totally disagree with this comment. Revealing a section of Florida would help; e.g., North, Middle or South. For example, I can't get too excited about Miami; but Middle or Northern parts are good. Driving near Miami is like driving in LA. It's no pleasure.

Stewbonz
02-29-2004, 10:43 PM
tpkanaley,
I wonder how many here would be complaining if Jim announced the Fest location and time without getting input from SC members?
Jim is working beyond the call of duty. Didn't he lose a bunch of money on last years event?
Give em a break!

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Matt
02-29-2004, 11:24 PM
A bit of a note. What we tried to do initially was to understand the level of interest and then to take a quick assessment of as many folk's calendars as possible. I am sorry if we created too much hype, but for those of you unfamiliar with the conference production scene - here is a bit of background. When you commit with a resort that you will conduct a conference at their site, you - the producer - must personally guarantee 80% of the rooms that you need. For a conference of 200 people, that is a lot of money for intrepid show producers. Jim had asked me this year to help him produce the Fest so that we could make this an experience even better than last year with more of everything, but do it in such a way that it is affordable to both us and you, the Segway community.

We have settled on the weekend, I thought we posted it a while ago. For those of you who missed it, it is 8,9,10 of October. The reason we have not posted the location is unfortunately purely legal. We really need to get the contract signed before everyone starts making reservations, I would hate to have pre-announced, had people sign up early and then find out they were attending someone elses conference. I expect to sign the revised contract that is coming back to us this week. As soon as that is done, we will let everyone know.

Cheers,
Matt

fathertime
03-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Friends,
We have not withhheld the information to tease you or to hype the event. We had expected to have the contracts signed this past week but due to circumstances beyond our control it did not happen. I promise we will make every attempt to have the signed contracts in hand by Wednesday with the announcement of the venue by Friday.
We have had conferences with LLC to assure that the timing was coordinated with their schedule and that they approved of the venue. This year's Fest will have many more surprises and activities than last year's and we want to make sure we can deliver on those promises.
As you may imagine, we personally have to guarantee all of the rooms, the food costs, the rental of the meeting rooms, rental of the banquet facilities, all of the gratuities (mandatory 20%), and any ancillary facilities that we use either on or off property. We were surprised last year by the cost of something as simple as hot water for tea. It was $59.00 per gallon. Eye-opening ain't it? These guarantees are in the six figure range and can be quite daunting when viewed as your responsibility. As you can see careful planning is in order.
This year Ladytime and I have had the distinct pleasure of welcoming Mr. Matt Gelbwaks, a former Segway VP, to our team. Matt was with Segway from concept to reveal and has a great depth of knowledge about the HT. He was instrumental in the Celebration study and brings great strengths to our efforts for SegwayFest! 2004
Matt has beaten me to the punch with his previous post but I want you all to know that he is working as hard on this years event as any of us and he deserves your support.
We will, of course, be calling on Brooster, X-Man, Glidemaster, and all our other Chicago SEG buddies to help us just as they did last year. We have planned on using many volunteers from the community this year and will soon have a website and sign-up sheet for those of you wishing to participate.
I promise that we will have news for you by weeksend![^]:D[/:)][:O]:)[:P];)

JR

ElectraGlide
03-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Jim,
If the event is to be held in South Florida dont forget to enlist the help of us "locals" when you need input on parks, paths, marinas, bars and night clubs, airports,restaurants, ground transportation, etc. It may be just me but I'm for more "fun" and "less seminar". Another hour of fender and battery talk and ZZZzzzzzzzz. LOL

Steve

fathertime
03-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Steve,
I hear you loud and clear. We have several fun things this year that I guarantee will keep you from snoozing off. We have really tweaked the model so that there will be something for everyone. We will have pertinant information for all those new owners out there that need to be brought up to speed. For those of you who know it all from last year, we will have some brand new activities and competitions as well as fun excursion and sightseeing outings. Let's talk after our announcement on Friday! [^]:D[/:)][:O][8)]:);)[:P]

JR

pam
03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Just so long as we don't have to walk our Segways when we're indoors. That's my only requirement &lt;G&gt;.
Pam

Burke
03-01-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm with Pam on that one. We need to have a guarantee that the facility will not change their mind about gliding in the facility.
The only bad experience last year in Chicago was the hotel changing their mind after the first day and not allowing us to ride the Seg in the hotel. It was more dangerous to walk them then ride them! It was especially upsetting after the hotel gouged us with extra charges on storing and handling the Segs that was not explained to us until it was too late. Then the freight back home cost us an extra $250.00 because they did not put them on the loading dock to be picked up and the freight outfit had to pick them up from the storage room. Did anyone else have the same experience? This year we will rent them if it is reasonable.

Dick and Janice

Matt
03-01-2004, 11:57 PM
One thing we are trying very hard to do for this year is learn from last year. Jim, Chandra, and I have spent quite a bit of time talking to folks about their experiences and misadventures. We will try to set it up so that very few of the problems from last year are duplicated.

I have already addressed the riding inside issue with the resort. There will be rules, as you might imagine, but we will be allowed to ride throughout the property. We have also contacted the freight forwarder that the hotel works with and are setting expectations now. We should not have any unfortunate surprises there this year either.

Please, all of you, if you have a specific peeve that you have not already told us, please let us know what they are. If you would rather, tell me off list, feel free to contact me at matt@segfest.com.

Thanks,
matt

Brooster
03-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Hi everyone!

Sounds like one heck of a SegwayFest is in the works! I'm not--as of this moment--very involved in planning this year's event, as I'm trying to get a new career off the ground, but I hope to be able to contribute what I'm able to as time goes on. I may or may not even be there, depending upon my financial situation, but in any case I'm certainly there in spirit.

I'm seeing a lot of posts that remind me of last year. Please remember that this is a huge job being done by volunteers, and that Fathertime and Ladytime are once again putting their necks on the finacial chopping block to make it all happen for our community. While there were some last-minute glitches at SegwayFesT!2003, and we're sorry they happened, I think we did a pretty good job overall. Considering that something like this had never been done before, I think it was an amazing event, and I'm proud to have been a part of it. As nervous as we all were about keeping people happy and making sure things went as smoothly as possible, even we organizers managed to have fun. Meeting all of you guys was the highlight for all of us.

Fathertime and Ladytime have a hugely capable assistant in Matt. There's no doubt in my mind that this year's event will be bigger and better than ever.

From something that started out a little over a year ago as GlideMaster and I talking about an informal "tailgate" gathering, SegwayFest has taken on a life of its own thanks to the generosity and dedication of Fathertime, Ladytime and their dedicated friends.

It'll be an event to remember. When Fathertime and Ladytime decide to do something, they do it right. I hope I'm able to be there. In any case, know that you're in the best possible hands.

All the best,

Broo
[:P][8]

Brooster

pam
03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Somehow, Broo, I don't think the last minute glitches could be laid at the doors of the planners. &lt;G&gt; YOu all did an incredible job, and TBH, shouldn't feel the least bit guilty about the issues at the hotel. But there are things to remember when you want to look at what you want to change for this year. Last year WAS an amazing event. I'm sure this year's will be even better.
Pam

wwhopper
03-02-2004, 01:04 PM
If there were any last minuite glitches last year - they were not apparent to the attendee. Everyone who worked behind the scenes should be proud of the event they put on, it was wonderful! The hotel not wanting us to glide, from what I heard, was only after an early arrivial zoomed by and startled the wrong managment person, who was coming out a doorway. We have to remember the hotel was already a little nervous due to the large Muslim convention that came in during our event and took over the hotel and the convention center. SegwayfesT 2003 was a great experience for all who attended. If nothing else, just for the validation that there are other people out there in the world who like these crazy machines!

SEG's around the country should start thinking about holding their own regional events - so that more people can attend with out having to travel so far. Then every couple of years a National or even an International gathering can happen!

Will W Hopper,IFDA
Washington, DC, USA

IndyFIRSTengineer
03-02-2004, 04:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

... I may or may not even be there, depending ...
BROOSTER ... NO! It won't be the same without you ...
As the time draws near we'll have to keep in touch. I'm sure something can be worked out. I have already had conversations with some other Indiana owners regarding driving arrangements - that could definitely save some dough, as well as sharing hotel rooms (and maybe even bumming a free place to stay with my relatives ... depending on exactly where it is). Besides me (:D[8][8D]), you probably enjoyed last year's fest more than most, because of all the hard work you put into it - you DEFINITELY deserve to be a part of Segfest II - 2004.

Stewbonz
03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Bruce,
Good luck with the new job. Hope you earn some good money and a week off by this October. I know alot of us appreciated your fine efforts from last years event and will be dissapointed if you cannot attend. I personally enjoyed the Lakeside glides with you and the gang.

Now everybody join in: BROOSTER BROOSTER BROOSTER!

JEFF JARVIS

fathertime
03-03-2004, 12:57 AM
Broo we won't do the Fest without you...whatever it takes, and that goes for Glidemaster, and X-Man too!!![^]:D[:O][8)]:)[:P]

JR

fathertime
03-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Friends....[^]:D;):)[:O][:P]we have the contracts in hand so look for the announcement on Friday evening as promised!!!

JR

Relay
03-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Drum Roll Please!!! And now the announcement that we have all been waiting for! The location of SegwayFest! 2004 will be at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort and Spa in Beautiful Bonita Springs, Florida on October 8th,9th,and 10th! There are 26 acres along the Gulf of Mexico and pristine Estero Bay that are included in the resort. There are beautiful gliding paths throughout the entire property. An Audubon International Gold certified championship 18 hole golf course with elegant water features, a Private Island with a Turtle Preserve, beach umbrellas, and beach chairs, two hydro-grid Tennis Courts, three swimming pools including a 5,000 sq.ft. lagoon pool with a 140 ft water slide, waterfall and fountain, a 19,000 sq. ft. European Spa, workout facilities, salons, all guest have access to a Hyatt Vacation club with five pools, lazy river, volleyball, basketball, and shuffleboard courts, six upscale restaurants, markets, Starbucks, and bars, a game room, Eco-tours on Estero Bay, environmental interpretive center, boating and fishing are all available at the resort! The rooms have walk-out balconies, safes, refrigerators, bath robes, DVD players, Sony playstation, coffee makers and ceiling fans. It is located two hours from Tampa, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale, and only twenty minutes from Naples and Ft. Myers. This hotel was opened in September of 2001 and is a stunning design.
Sounds great doesn't it? We have negotiated a very good room rate for our membership that is comparable with last year's rate and one that I think you will be pleased with.
In just a couple of days we will send you to our newly updated website where you may view all of the details and look at some fantastic photos of the venue. You will be amazed at how beautiful this area is and how lovely the setting lays out. What struck us was how perfectly suited the environment is to the HT. There are paths everywhere with beautiful scenery to behold. The hotel is extremely Segway friendly and we will not have the problems we did last year with the hotel. We have already demo-ed the General Manager and his staff and they are all on-board with the idea.
We will have the hotel numbers up on the website in a day or two so that you may call and reserve your rooms directly. You will need to mention our Segway Group to get the good rate and we encourage you to reserve early since we have tremendous interest this year and there are only 450 rooms in the hotel.
Segway will be there in full force and there will be many new and exciting activities and seminars. As they become finalized wew will tell you all about them. Each week we will tell you about any new activities or developments as they become finalized.
Since there will be three full days of activities we will have lots more to do this year! I can tell you that there will be a fantastic scavenger hunt this year that will involve your navigational skill on the HT and will be loads of fun for group participation. Please chime in on this thread and let us know what you would like to see this year at the Fest!
We are offering sponsorships at several levels this year and Matt will fill you in on what's available if you would like to participate. We will also need several volunteers this year who will have assigned duties throughout the conference. There will be a place to sign up on the website in a few days.
We are very excited about this year's Fest as are the folks at Segway. Thanks for being so patient with our rollout! You will love this place...hope to see you all at the Fest!

JR

Lohja
03-06-2004, 11:11 AM
This is a beautiful area of Florida. In addition to the Fest it's a great area to visit and vacation. Thank goodness it's not in Miami. I will be there for certain. You made an outstanding selection.

If you are looking for subjects and seminars this year, may I suggest one be set-up to discuss some of the accidents Seggers have been in. Maybe we can all learn from them to have a safer glide. You could allocate maybe ten or fifteen minuites for a person to describe the accident and why it happened (usually it's not the fault of the HT). I would volunteer to describe mine. I'm looking forward to the Fest.

L.I. Glider
03-06-2004, 11:55 AM
The resort looks wonderful!! Thanks to the organizers for all the hard work that's already gone into planning this event. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Regards,
Joanne

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi

fredkap
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Well, I sure was wrong, I though it was going to be in Key Biscayne but this choice looks great! From LA there are non-stops to Miami but one stops via Dallas to Ft Myers that add at least an hour in travel time...which way is best?

-Fred

Matt
03-07-2004, 09:52 PM
Miami is close to a 3 hour drive, depending upon the time of day. Ft. Myer airport is about 20 minutes (Ft. Myer airport is actually about 20-30 minutes south of the city). Personally, I perfer the shorter drive - we can even arrange to pick you up at the airport.

If you want a car anyways and don't mind the drive, and the cost is less to miami, I would suggest that, otherwise - come in through Ft. Myers!

Matt
03-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

We ran into a glitch with the website - we are putting an eCommerce interface onto it this year so we can take registrations directly over the web, but our first attempt to integrate the shopping cart with the secure clearing house met some minor resistance. We are back on track now, but we may need the weekend to debug it. Sorry for holding out on you like this, but I'd rather not inconvinence everyone by having to change it later.

Cheers,
Matt

fathertime
03-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Hi All,

Because the site is taking longer than we wanted, I t hought I would post the room rates here now.

For singles and doubles, the rooms will be $189
For triples the rooms will be $229
and for quads the rooms will be $254.

You will need to request the SegwayFest! group rate. We will make sure that all their operators are standing by.
[^][^][/:)][8D]:);)

JR

SegwayUtah
03-12-2004, 05:23 PM
fathertime:

quote:For singles and doubles, the rooms will be $189

Is that for two nights, or just one?

I'll pay it, but ouch.

Chris

fathertime
03-12-2004, 05:35 PM
These are nightly rates. They are actually only $10/night more than the McCormick. By promising larger numbers we were able to get the prices down further.

JR

ElectraGlide
03-12-2004, 05:45 PM
From earlier posts I was expecting the rates to be MUCH higher. Those rates are good for a Hotel-Resort that has the amenities this one lists.

Steve

SegwayUtah
03-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Wow. Did I really pay $189 a night in Chicago? I was at Printer's Row. I guess it was over $100 a night, but I thought it was more like $129.

Regardless, I'm coming. If you want to maximize attendance at SF2004, you'll want to make a nearby less expensive hotel available as well. But if you're wanting to make sure people use the rooms you have reserved, I guess you'll just want to offer this one for now.

I'm excited to come. I hope everyone else can come. I just hope the hotel price (in addition the Segway rental price and the travel cost and the other costs) isn't too much. Now if the hotel price came with a Segway . . . :)

Chris

QuadSquad
03-12-2004, 07:13 PM

Hi All,

Jim, I think it's patently unfair that they're going to charge me $254 a night just because I'm a quad!;)

I think it's a great deal! Pam and I are looking forward to it already![^]

Lohja
03-12-2004, 07:43 PM

Hi All,

For singles and doubles, the rooms will be $189

You will need to request the SegwayFest! group rate. We will make sure that all their operators are standing by.
[^][^][/:)][8D]:);)

JR

The room rates are one part of the fee. What are the taxes, etc. on top of the room rate? That will be the actual cost. Also, to attend all the Segway related activities, how many nights are involved?

RAG1247
03-12-2004, 11:24 PM
also the cost of registration, included dinners, etc.

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

Florida Ever-Glides
03-13-2004, 02:31 PM
For a room with a bay view the cost is $214.00. The $189.00 cost has a view of the beautiful grounds. A Jr. Suite is $490.00.

The hotel is aware of the SegFest and they are taking reservations directly at: 1-239-444-1234

Tom Jacobson

pam
03-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Hmmm, well, if I remember SegFest 2003, a bay view would have been lost for me there.. the only time I was in my room was to sleep and to change clothes, and then I'd have my windows closed!
Pam

beckpm
03-13-2004, 08:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Florida Ever-Glides

For a room with a bay view the cost is $214.00. The $189.00 cost has a view of the beautiful grounds. A Jr. Suite is $490.00.

The hotel is aware of the SegFest and they are taking reservations directly at: 1-239-444-1234

Tom Jacobson

I just reserved a bayview room from 7-10 Oct at the $214 rate. I was informed that there is a $10 per day resort fee on top of that. Compared to their regular rates, these rates seem reasonable to me.

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

fathertime
03-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Friends,
When you see how nice this hotel is you will realize that this is an excellent rate. When Matt and I were down there checking out the venue I noticed that the room rate on the chart on my door was $750.00 and I knew that we had a lot of negotiating to do.
We rolled up our sleeves and got down to hard bargaining. The resultant rates that we got are a very good value for the dough. You will think that you have died and gone to heaven when you set foot in this area...it is beautiful. When we are able to send you to the site you will see aerial views of the gliding paths and boardwalks that take you everywhere on property. The hotel was completed in 2001 and it is a classy place.
Remember we have power in numbers and we need to all stay at this hotel if possible. We have personally guaranteed the rooms so that we could all be together and there will be so much happening on site that you will not want to be shuttling back and forth to another location. The hotel sits on 500 acres of beautiful scenery and it is a long haul to other accommodations. I think that you will be happy you stayed here because after all of the activities we have planned, you will not want to go home, you will be socializing at one of the hotels lovely restaurants, or bars, or beaches, or outdoor poolside areas, or private islands...you get the idea. It will be delightful.
We have reserved more than twice as many rooms as last year so that no one will be turned away and we can have a great time all together. [^]:D[:I][8D][:X][:O][8)]:);)[:P]

JR

DixieGlider
03-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Well I just wanted y'all to know I just made my reservation too. See y'all in Florida!!!
PBW

defenbaugh
03-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Just got our bay view room confirmed. Make sure you request "Segfest." The telephone operator said "Segway, we have no bay view rooms available." I said, "Not Segway, Segfest 2004." It must have made a difference as I got a bay view room.

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

fredkap
03-15-2004, 02:28 AM
Reservation made.

-Fred

beckpm
03-15-2004, 07:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by mzokc

It will help to know the schedule. With the dates 8, 9, and 10, does this indicate that the 8th is a full event day, OR will there be a late afternoon event like in Chicago. If that is the case, I would be arriving on the 8th. If the 8th is a full event day, then I would want to arrive on the 7th. You can understand my delay in making reservations without some details about the schedule. (If it's been posted elsewhere, please inform me where I should look.) Anyway, it will be a blast to attend and I look forward to making the reservations soon.

Mark

Good questions Mark! Also, will the 10th be a half day optional group glide like the last day in Chicago? I already planned to arrive on the 7th, but planned to depart on the 10th - but if the 10th is a full day I will have to change my reservation. I guess some of us are jumping the gun making reservations before we have all the facts!

<div align="right">http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/beckpm/smallsig.GIF</div id="right">

Lohja
03-15-2004, 10:41 AM
As soon as I have the schedule of events, I'll reserve a room. I just need to know if I'll need to be there on the 7th and how many events are scheduled for the 10th. I have some close friends living in Ft Myers; but I'd like to stay at the hotel as much as possible. I can visit with my friends after the Fest. A schedule of events (or tentative schedule of events) is necessary. Lacking that, which nights have our organizers guaranteed to the resort? Those are the nights we should strive to fill.

RAG1247
03-15-2004, 01:34 PM
FATHERTIME

I think we need to know the following

room rates (provided)
registration fees if any

costs of joint activities (such as banquet) etc

active days - should we arrive on 7th or depart on 11th????

I think you should be able to provide an approximation without having all details finalized

thanks

Richard
Ft. Lauderdale

Stan671
03-15-2004, 04:43 PM
I just reserved a bay view room for my father, Hank, and I. We'll be arriving Thursday the 7th and leaving Monday the 11th.

Stan Dobrowski

fathertime
03-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Friends,
In a couple of days we will point you to the website and all of your questions will be answered but, just to lessen the concern and misinformation swirling around, I can tell you that there will be three full days of activities. You will probably want to arrive on Thursday because we will be up-and-at-it first thing on Friday and you don't want to miss any of the events. Likewise there are many things to do on Sunday, including outings to Sanibel and Captiva. We have scheduled these outings to occur on Sunday afternoon so that if you have to leave you won't miss any of the seminars, but if you want the fun to continue you may particpate.
The room rates are $189.00 for a single or a double and it is one heck of a rate for this type of resort venue. In another post I mentioned that when Matt and I were down there checking out the hotel I noticed the rate on the inside of the room door....it was $750.00 per day. As you can see we have negotiated a VERY good rate.
There will be much more information available in a couple of days but I just wanted to let you know that Chandra, Matt, and myself are confident that this Fest will be bigger, better, and lots more fun than last year's. We are all working on the event everyday and in every spare moment. Last year we started to plan in May for an August Fest so this year we will have a few more months in hand to make the gathering as good as possible.
We are trying to make this a community event that everyone can participate in and that will be fun for all. We need your help and will be asking for volunteers shortly. It is only with support from all of you that we can make this happen. Watch for the announcement of the website rollout and thanks for your support![^]:D[8)]:);)[:P]

JR

beckpm
03-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the new info - looking forward to the website!
Some of us, who love to glide, have never removed a wheel or installed a kickstand (even though we are good at breaking kickstands!) Wouldn't it be great if one or more of the vendors at the fest would offer installation of kickstands, new lock installs, wheel rotates (do you do wheel rotates on a segway?), etc. for a fee while you wait. Just a thought.

pam
03-16-2004, 06:16 PM
If one of the vendors doesn't I'm pretty sure you can find a user who will. I took all my tools to Chicago because I had to take my Segway apart to pack it for the plane. Only had to find someone to torque my wheels back to 50nm (I had the right tool, but the wrong strength &lt;G&gt;), but otherwise, I could have done everything else. I'll have my tools again, although this time I'm driving, not flying.

fathertime
03-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Peter,
Great suggestion! I can tell you that there will be a seminar on light maintenance and where and how to attach items to the HT. We will include how to change a kickstand, remove tires, and generally how to keep your machine looking good and running well. Thanks for the suggestion and keep them coming!:D

JR

Stewbonz
03-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Jim, Chandra and Matt,
The venue for this years Segway Fest sounds fantastic and a good value for what's being provided.
You exceeded our wildest expectations at last years event and this one sounds even better!! Way to go!

JEFF JARVIS

Lohja
03-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Great suggestion! I can tell you that there will be a seminar on light maintenance and where and how to attach items to the HT. We will include how to change a kickstand, remove tires, and generally how to keep your machine looking good and running well. Thanks for the suggestion and keep them coming!:D
JR

Please include how and what to clean after a glide (or fall) in deep sand at the beach. Also, what if ocean water gets involved in the glide? That sand gets into everything.

ElectraGlide
03-17-2004, 11:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lohja

[quote]Originally posted by fathertime
Please include how and what to clean after a glide (or fall) in deep sand at the beach. Also, what if ocean water gets involved in the glide? That sand gets into everything.

You wont catch me riding a Segway in the sand or salt water. Sand and moving parts......ugh!
Salt water and electronics......double ugh !

Steve

Lohja
03-17-2004, 02:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by ElectraGlide
You wont catch me riding a Segway in the sand or salt water. Sand and moving parts......ugh!
Salt water and electronics......double ugh !
Steve

It may possibly be a very short presentation. They may simply say "don't ride in sand or saltwater". However, several other people on SC have said they glide at the beach.

offngo
03-24-2004, 02:55 PM
We're booked--got the corner room rate-but the gal asked if we paid the $10/day fee--apparently some groups do and some groups don't?

Jackier
03-25-2004, 11:03 PM
WOW! Fathertime, you guys have really got it together. Thanks for all your time & hard work. Count me in as a volunteer. Can't wait for my first Segfest!!!!

I heard a rumor that AMEX is offering triple miles for travel booked before March 31st. & charged on your AMEX card. I'll check it out!
Hawaii to Flordia has gotta be some miles.

Jackie Seg-awaaaay
*Promoting friendly segway attitudes in Hawaii*
"The people are always more important then the task at hand"

terryp
03-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Any idea when might we start to see Segway rental information? We don't want to ship ours, and don't want to register until we know we have HTs reserved.

Matt
04-01-2004, 10:14 AM
There will definitely be some machine available, I am still trying to line up rental companies. If you are registered on the site, I will be sending out bulk mailings to the registrants with significant updates (like the announcement of rental companies).

defenbaugh
04-01-2004, 01:47 PM
In an earlier post, an organizer mentioned the hotel required insurance of the producers. Will the conventioneers need proof of insurance?

Ron
"Literacy requires reading, change requires effort and enlightenment requires courage."

Matt
04-01-2004, 06:15 PM
The organizers will have a blanket liability coverage for the the hotel and the grounds.

Individuals will not need to bring proof of insurance for their machines; however, if organizations are looking to rent out machines to Fest! goers, then they too will need to have liability coverage for machines they rent out to people.

SEG American-Missouri
04-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Chandra, Jim, Matt,
I thought I would chime in and say I think you folks are doing a FANTASTIC job pulling this together. I excited that the my first trip to Florida will be with an HT. I guess I need to get a GPS too!

SegwayFest! will be, without a doubt, an experience of a lifetime.

I hope to see you all there!

Mike McWilliams

fathertime
04-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks Mike,
We are really looking forward to a spectacular event this year and can't wait to see all the return attendees form last year, plus all of those new faces that we don't yet know.
I remember having a vague idea, from discussions on this site, who people were, but the most fun was meeting everyone in person and being able to chat face to face. I know that many friendships were made that will last a lifetime. It was also great to finally meet all those folks from LLC who have done such a magnificient job bringing the HT to market. When they took the time to share their thinking with all of us it really made us feel like we were part of an extended family.
In looking back at DVD from last year you can see the excitement and pleasure on everyone's face. Dean and his crew were so gracious with their time...and it showed. Participation in the seminars and the activities was enthusiastic and joyful.
We are looking forward to more of the same this year but we have also planned a lot more of the social events and time to glide in paradise with fellow attendees. I don't think that I have ever wanted the summer to be over so soon. The anticipation is also part of the fun for us. See you all there![^]:D[8)]:);)[:P]

JR

beckpm
04-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Any news on when the "online store" will be up and running? I have the hotel locked in, any rush on registering for the conference - should we forget about the High Tech approach and use fax?

Matt
04-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Give us another day. We got the bank knuckled down, and then we found out our provider had us on a revolving IP address. That caused another flurry of activity. Once we got that settled, our hoster got a software update and wanted to make sure there were no bugs. I think this is settled now, but I am going to switch it over tomorrow, come hell or high water!

Thanks for the understanding.

Matt
04-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Hey, I think we got the online store stuff licked now. If anyone has any new problems, please contact me. Email me through the site or my phone number is on the SegwayFest! site.

Lohja
04-27-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm registered for a room on Oct 7, 8 & 9 (departing on the 10th). I'm also signed-up for 1.) Segfest Registration, 2.) Two gala buffets 3.) Lunch box glides on Friday and Sunday.

When you register for the rooms they will tell you there is a $10 resort fee. The fee includes free local and 1-800 telephone calls. I believe a spa and free DVDs from their library. It includes several other things; but I can't recall what they are. Maybe my confirmation will itemize them. If you use most of the things included, I believe it will be worth $10. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and finally getting a chance to glide with someone. If you are over 62, don't forget to ask for the $157 senior rate. I believe there should be an award for the oldest Segway owner at the Segfest. Fun isn't just for the young anymore.

Lohja@cox.net

fathertime
05-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Friends one of our members emailed me these photos of the venue for SegwayFest! 2004. It seems that he was just visiting last week I would like to share them with you!

http://www.segwayfest.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/lobby.jpg
http://www.segwayfest.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/hotel.jpg
http://www.segwayfest.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/pool1.jpg
http://www.segwayfest.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/pool2.jpg
http://www.segwayfest.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/room.jpg

[^]:D:);)[:P]

JR

SegwayUtah
05-03-2004, 03:06 AM
http://www.segwayfest.com/Portals/57ad7180-c5e7-49f5-b282-c6475cdb7ee7/lobby.jpg

I look at that first picture and I get this happy thought of all the squeaky turning of non-marking tires on that floor :) It makes me think of lots of HTs in one place, and lots of cool people, and that makes me smile.

Chris

defenbaugh
05-03-2004, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by SegwayUtah

I look at that first picture and I get this happy thought of all the squeaky turning of non-marking tires on that floor :) It makes me think of lots of HTs in one place, and lots of cool people, and that makes me smile.

Chris

Squeak, squeak. [Trying to hold the excitement in.]

Ron

IndyFIRSTengineer
07-12-2004, 03:23 PM
THIS NEEDS to be fixed ... [:O]

quote:Originally posted by docdo123

... tried to get a room for Segfest o4 at the Hyatt but they gave me the run around and passed the buck to [Matt]. Said room rates were 350 per night even for the Seg people... I don't recall seeing anything about a hotel reservation deadline for that group rate ... if there was and it has passed it might kill my trip, and I suppose that of many others.

Jim, Matt, HELP! ... can you give us any words of wisdom??

[b]Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

Matt
07-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Sorry for the late reply - I actually had posted this on another thread and missed the post here. I think we have the situation fixed.

There is NO deadline (until after the event of course).

I talked to the Hotel and they believe that any residual issues have been resolved. They were not sure what the problem was exactly, but they have assured me we will not encounter them in the future, BUT: just in case we do, Will Cornwall, the hotel's head of conferences, has asked that individuals not being offered the appropriate rate call or write him directly. Here is his contact information:

Will Cornwall
Director of Convention Services
wcornwal@naprnpo.hyatt.com

fathertime
08-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Anyone having a problem let me know (312) 718-5461 and I will make sure it is fixed. Human error is always part of the equation and we will endeavor to correct any problems if you just let us know.

JR

Brooster
09-21-2004, 01:59 AM
This thread's been awfully quiet lately ...

Who's going? I'm not, but I think it'll be a cool gathering, and I look forward to the stories ... there's always stories. :)

Brooster

Ninja
09-21-2004, 04:27 AM
I am sorry to say I won't be able to make it this year as the dates coincide with other commitments. I'm really bummed because I wanted to try and keep going every year and now the streak ends on year two already.:(:(

Aloha,
Randy
http://alohasegway.com

woodenapple
09-21-2004, 10:41 AM
My son and I will be there, and we are very, very excited about it! The timing didn't work out for me to go to last year's event, but it was wonderful to read about it and to watch the DVD afterwards.

The timing is wonderful this year, because it will help fill the void during the drop off in visitors right after the recent hurricanes. A lot of people don't realize that most of Florida is still open for business, and is in great shape to host tourists, conventions, events, etc.

Rodney

IndyFIRSTengineer
09-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey Jim, Chandra, Matt,
Suggestion for SegFest nametags. For those of us on SC, how about adding our SC ID - would help us identify fellow chatters. Anyone have any comments for/against this??

fathertime
09-21-2004, 10:57 PM
While we can't put your SC name on the tags without your permission we will be happy to do so for those of you who would like others to know your SC name. Please send me an email (fta@sbcglobal.net) and tell me if it's OK for your SC name to be printed on your badge.
[^]:D:);)[:P]

JR