PDA

View Full Version : Question about legislative restrictions

insanecanes
01-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi. I am wondering has anyone in the group initiated any action to educate or lobby legislators within their states about the Segway and its use as a mobility device?

I am somewhat concerned that my home state will enact restrictions on the Segway. Because of the recent freedoms I have acquired, I would hate to lose it. I am wondering if certain "exemptions" could be enacted for use?

Does anyone have any feedback on this issue?

Thanks.

Kerry

fredkap
01-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Welcome Kerry to SegwayChat!

The ADA ptotects your useage of your Seg. New York, Massachusetts and Connecticut do not yet have enabling legilation permitting Segway useage on sidewalks by "able bodied" individuals. San Francisco has banned sidewalk useage. This makes it much more difficult for disabled Seg users that do not have any overt obvious disability. You will note that there are several threads here suggesting attaching a disabled placard either on your carrying bag or on the base of your Seg. This should avoid most confrontations at malls and office buildings where it is appropriate for you to ride on private property but it wouldn't be for me.

As Segway use by the mobility impaired is seen to be safe there will be increasing acceptance of its use on private property. For now, we need your assistance to demonstrate the profound difference that using a Segway has and will make in your life. Not only do we need you to post your story here but also write/e-mail Segway LLC and offer to be available at any New York hearings on Segways. Whether or not you live in NYC contact Itsi Atkins and if you can make one of their meetings, be there.

Fred

rbrick
01-20-2004, 06:35 AM
Kerry,

DO NOT LET ANYONE TAKE AWAY ANY NEWFOUND MOBILITY FREEDOMS. I carry a laminated copy of my prescription for the Segway and a paper copy. The paper copy is to get the signature and date of anyone that foolishly attempts to restrict access. Some private property owners have the right to restrict access but it hasn't happened to me yet. The fear of ADA issues guides most peoples actions. I am a safe and courteous rider and do not have any apparent signs of disability -- that is until I have to move my legs on my own. The freedom and benefits the Segway provides me are HUGE. However, I refuse to display a handicap sticker on my Segway but welcome questions and inquires from property owners, managers, or store/location employees. I am not ashamed of my physical challenges but do not feel the need to advertise.

Stay tuned to this forum. You can get tons of valuable information from other Segway users who have physical challenges. I have learned a lot from the many savvy posters. The wheel has been invented, roll forward woman [8D]

Here is a link for a recent newspaper article on my Segway:
Newspaper article from Sun Publications 1/15/2004: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10805148&BRD=1459&PAG=461&dept_id=506062&rfi=6

Purchase Segway Raffle tickets online: Go to www.msmidamerica.org and click Segway Raffle link. Tickets are $5.00 per chance. Drawing is 1/19/2004. All proceeds go to the Mid America Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Purchase lots and tell your relatives, friends and enemies to do the same :)

Betty Boom
01-24-2004, 01:37 PM
I have had my Segway for all of one week and am beside myself with excitement about my newfound mobility! As soon as I get a hitch and a Segtray, I can blast off to ANYWHERE on my own. The word needs to spread, that marketing to mobility challenged people who are NOT READY to sit down is huge. It is giving me my life back! If I hadn't gone to a meeting where a gregarious woman was zipping around on a Segway (with a cane hanging from the handlebar) I might not have made this miraculous discovery for a long time (or maybe never).

Betty Boom