PDA

View Full Version : New DEKA Patent: Attaching Wheel to Axle

dave27
09-09-2002, 05:12 PM
An apparatus and method for attaching a wheel to an axle. The apparatus comprises a wheel with a hub for insertion into an indentation in the end of the axle and a single bolt that is offset from the axis of rotation of the wheel and axle and that attaches the wheel to the axle. In a further embodiment, the apparatus comprises a wheel with a hub for insertion into an indentation in the end of the axle and a non-cylindrically-symmetrical stud attached to the axle that is concentric with the axis of rotation of the wheel and axle, thus attaching the wheel to the axle.

http://ipdl.wipo.int/cgi-bin/ifetch5?ENG+PCT-362002+6+1035490-REVERSE+0+0+568+BASICHTML-ENG+2+3+1+25+SEP-0/HITNUM,B,NULL+sunstein

guest/guest for userid/password

USPO LINK:
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=sunstein&OS=sunstein&RS=sunstein

-dave

Casey
09-09-2002, 05:24 PM
I can't help but wonder at the reason for offsetting the bolt. It would throw the wheel out of balance, and offhand I don't see the advantage.

Frank

dave27
09-09-2002, 05:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

I can't help but wonder at the reason for offsetting the bolt. It would throw the wheel out of balance, and offhand I don't see the advantage.

Frank

Here's an interesting bit from the patent Application:

[0004] An improved approach for securing a wheel to an axle should: (a) maintain efficient angular momentum transfer from the rotating axle to the wheel; (b) provide quick and easy attachment and detachment of the wheel from the axle; and (c) improve manufacturability by simplifying the design of the wheel and axle mating surfaces. Embodiments of the present invention address each of these needs.

-dave

Seeker
09-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the link, Dave. So why might the wheel need to be taken off...in the course of normal use ?

Seeker

dave27
09-09-2002, 05:37 PM

Frank

Don't know if this helps also, Frank:

[0012] As the bolt 160 is tightened, the wheel 140 is forced against the axle, producing a force component normal to the tapered surface of the hub 142. The normal force generates a frictional force on the tapered surface of the hub and the tapered surface of the indentation of the rotating axle thereby efficiently transferring the angular momentum of the rotating axle to the wheel. If the bolt loosens and the tapered surfaces begin to slip, the offset of the bolt from the longitudinal axis of the axle places the lug bolt in shear and therefore creates a torque on the wheel that continues to drive the wheel. By offsetting the clearance hole, and, therefore, the bolt, from the rotational axis of the wheel, the present invention provides a redundant drive mechanism for the wheel, while using only a single bolt. ? ? ?

-dave

baantjer
09-09-2002, 05:49 PM

Frank

The wheel is not offset to the axel. Only the bolt attaching the wheel to the axel
So the increased weight of the bolt on one side is easily balanced by a similar weight to the the opposite side.

If the bolt loosens the wheel shears in respect to the axel, but still attached and still be through friction be linked to the axel.

If you would have attached the wheel with a center bolt then the moment the center bolt loosens the wheel is frictionless connected to the axel

Casey
09-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Yes Dave, that is the answer. Interesting solution. Segway being a very slow moving machine, being out of balance really isn't a significant problem. I can see a need for a redundant drive, what with the wheels continually and rapidly reversing to balance the machine. And they could use two bolts opposite each other to balance the wheel if necessary.

Frank

Casey
09-09-2002, 06:07 PM
I would like to know though what their problem is with a splined axle with a center bolt. You would save the machine work of cutting the splines with the offset bolt. But you would need a counterweight or second bolt which would require drilling an additional hole and tapping threads.

Frank

baantjer
09-09-2002, 06:19 PM

I would like to know though what their problem is with a splined axle with a center bolt. You would save the machine work of cutting the splines with the offset bolt. But you would need a counterweight or second bolt which would require drilling an additional hole and tapping threads.

Frank

A single bolt has the advantage that it is easier to assemble/disassemble (changing to snow tires [8D]).
A single center bolt has the disadvantage the the moment the bolt loosens the wheel slips. A single slipping wheel would almost garantee a crash with a Segway (imaging going into a very sharp curve at 12 mph).

By offsetting the bolt you keep the advantage while eliminating the disadvantage.

You can even put in a sensor that detects a loose wheel.

Casey
09-09-2002, 06:27 PM
quote:the moment the bolt loosens the wheel slips

The bolt would have to come completely out and the wheel fall off to get off a splined axle. This arrangement is used on everything from small equipment to huge tractors.

A center bolt could be as easily prevented from coming out as an offset bolt.

Frank

charmed
09-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Anybody have any guesses what they might be planning for such a wheel/axle assembly? It doesn't seem to be from the current Segway, at least as I understand it. One would assume that since it is a hard connection to the axle, that the axle is likely what transmits power to the wheel, unlike the Segway.

When I saw the title to this topic, my heart skipped a beat hoping this was a peek at my dreamed of single-wheeler. But it would appear not......

But maybe it has something to do with the trailer?

dave27
09-09-2002, 06:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by charmed

Anybody have any guesses what they might be planning for such a wheel/axle assembly? It doesn't seem to be from the current Segway, at least as I understand it. One would assume that since it is a hard connection to the axle, that the axle is likely what transmits power to the wheel, unlike the Segway.

When I saw the title to this topic, my heart skipped a beat hoping this was a peek at my dreamed of single-wheeler. But it would appear not......

But maybe it has something to do with the trailer?

charmed,

I had the same reaction when I saw the patent...

however, I do believe this is related to the trailer. The trailer was also patented by Doug Field - and he has been primarily responsible for the design of Segway. At the very least, it's nice to see the design is evolving...

-dave

Casey
09-09-2002, 07:05 PM
This could be applied to a wheel attached directly to a motor shaft, using tha motor shaft as the axle.

Frank

charmed
09-09-2002, 07:13 PM
Good point, Casey. Still, it's a departure from the Segway style transmission, it would seem.

charmed
09-09-2002, 07:14 PM
By the way, Dave27, you rock. Thanks for the research and thanks for bringing it to us.

dave27
09-09-2002, 07:37 PM

By the way, Dave27, you rock. Thanks for the research and thanks for bringing it to us.

:)

-dave

baantjer
09-09-2002, 08:03 PM

<snip>
<snip>

In that case you might want to take a look at this European patent application: EP1208032 (http://ep.espacenet.com/search97cgi/s97is.dll?Action=View&ViewTemplate=e/gb/en/viewer.hts&collection=dips&SearchType=3&VdkVgwKey=EP1208032A1) (nice drawings :))

Seeker
09-09-2002, 08:12 PM
Good find, Baantjer !!! :-)

Some pretty cool finds are being unearthed on SegwayChat...

Seeker

charmed
09-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Sh*t. All i get is the first page, and when i click on the drawings it downloads an .exe file that I can't open (even though it I get a message that it's a .pdf).

What do the drawings show?

baantjer
09-09-2002, 08:30 PM

Sh*t. All i get is the first page, and when i click on the drawings it downloads an .exe file that I can't open (even though it I get a message that it's a .pdf).

What do the drawings show?

A one wheeler (with or without seat), but I don't have a 'photo-album' here. Maybe one of the moderators can copy/paste some pictures

charmed
09-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Whoa!! Is this new? Has anyone seen it before? I finally got a page to open that shows a handsome fellow on a mono-wheel scooter with an articulated seat/support.

Is this the drawing? Are there more? Is this a major scoop? I want one!!!!

baantjer
09-09-2002, 08:42 PM

Whoa!! Is this new? Has anyone seen it before? I finally got a page to open that shows a handsome fellow on a mono-wheel scooter with an articulated seat/support.

Is this the drawing? Are there more? Is this a major scoop? I want one!!!!

yes, there are more drawings. It was published on May 29, 2002. So, not very new.

charmed
09-09-2002, 08:45 PM
Way to go, Baantjer. Huge find I say. I know we have seen some one wheeled drawings in the earlier patents, but nothing with this detail.

I said it a few months ago, and I will say it again-- it is this sort of thing that will capture people's attention, and likely live up to the quotes in a more comprehensive way. This shows me that the current models are just a tame hint of things to come.

Dam.

charmed
09-09-2002, 08:47 PM
Did you just find this, Baantjer, or have you seen it before?

I tried to post a .pdf file to the photo album, but alas it has to be a .gif or a .jpg. I don't have the software to convert. Casey managed to convert some other drawings......

Casey?

baantjer
09-09-2002, 08:55 PM

I tried to post a .pdf file to the photo album, but alas it has to be a .gif or a .jpg. I don't have the software to convert. Casey managed to convert some other drawings......

Casey?

I did see it before.

The problem with this patent is that in no way describes how the dual dynamic stability (both the uniwheel and uniball are mentioned) is maintained nor how the motor drives the wheel. All descriptions mention 'not shown here' the moment it gets interesting.

Casey
09-09-2002, 08:57 PM

Casey?

All I got is a ver rough drawing of a girl on a scooter.

Frank

charmed
09-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Check out 'page 1'. I think you will see something considerably more interesting.

Casey
09-09-2002, 09:05 PM
We had that one last year. I will see if I can get it out of the pdf and convert it for posting.

Frank

baantjer
09-09-2002, 09:06 PM
Maybe this one works better (from the Canadian Patent Office)VEHICLE STABILIZING SYSTEM HAVING PIVOTAL SUPPORT
(http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/details?patent_number=2382360&language=EN_CA)

charmed
09-09-2002, 09:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by baantjer

Maybe this one works better (from the Canadian Patent Office)VEHICLE STABILIZING SYSTEM HAVING PIVOTAL SUPPORT
(http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/details?patent_number=2382360&language=EN_CA)

Thanks Baantjer,

much better site. I read the claims, and you are right, it doesn't give any details about lateral stability. I still am betting that it might be 'user stabilized', as in a bike, coupled with Segway-type DS for fore and aft. Without a mechanical gyro, or a very complicated servo-controlled tilting wheel, I can't imagine how else one might laterally stabilize such a vehicle.

It's funny. I remember seeing the girl drawing with the crude wheel, but I don't believe I have seen the man on the seat drawing before.

Casey
09-09-2002, 09:22 PM
The drawing is in Photos-Casey-Patent Drawings. It is labeled "Articulated Seat".

Frank

ftropea
09-09-2002, 09:26 PM
Hey, great stuff!

Casey - I increased the number of files in the albums to 20. Sorry I didn't tell you before you did the upload... you must of cleared some other slots to make those new ones fit. Put them all back if you want, ok?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

charmed
09-09-2002, 09:31 PM
Thanks very much, Casey. I love that drawing. If and when they market something similar it will be a whole 'nother ball game.

I think a single wheel would lend itself to higher speeds, better control over roadway imperfections, better control at speed (ability to lean the platform into turns), and a much more interesting ride.

Casey
09-09-2002, 09:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

Hey, great stuff!

Casey - I increased the number of files in the albums to 20. Sorry I didn't tell you before you did the upload... you must of cleared some other slots to make those new ones fit. Put them all back if you want, ok?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

Thanks Frank. It was pretty cramped in there. Yes, I did delete two and add two. But at the time I was still getting a limit 5 message.

Frank

It says 20 now. I will get a few more in there shortly.:)

dave27
09-09-2002, 11:48 PM

Thanks very much, Casey. I love that drawing. If and when they market something similar it will be a whole 'nother ball game.

I think a single wheel would lend itself to higher speeds, better control over roadway imperfections, better control at speed (ability to lean the platform into turns), and a much more interesting ride.

This is the picture that got me wondering about the single wheeled version. I believe it originally showed up on a patent ap the summer before the reveal. It's very easy to picture a one wheeled version like this being quite entertaining...

-dave

Blinky
11-14-2002, 11:58 PM
It is a shame in that 60 minutes interview this thing was not shown. It would have been a great oppertunity for them to do so.