PDA

View Full Version : Physical Therapist wants info

Earllaine
01-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Hello,
This is my first time on this or any chat room. I've been reading several of the replies sent by those, who have disabilities and are using the Segway. I would like to know if you have problems maintaining your balance during walking or standing, how has the Segway helped you? OR can it?

Follow up question: I'm not sure I understand or agree with it being called a 'balance enhancer'. i.e. if you can not control your balance forwards or backwards on ground, I wouldn't think you'd be able to control the speed of the Segway. For those of you with balance problems are you able to keep your balance better and manage the speed well?

Thanks for any discussion.

fredkap
01-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Earllaine,

The Segway is a self balancing device. While I don't have balance issues, there is testimony from those that do, that they have remarkable balance on a Segway most poignantly from some who lack balance and can't stand unassisted. Have you been on a Segway? If so for a 3 minute trial or for an extensive trial? Where do you live? We are everywhere!!!

I would be glad to make sure you get to try a Seg.

Fred

jrmiller
01-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Greetings, I would like to talk with you about the balance problem or lack of problem when on the HT. I have had a problem with balance due to Parkinsons and it does not seem to be a limiting facter on its operation. If you would like to contact me or have me contact you , feel free to e-mail or give me your numbver and I;ll call you.

mister_bigtime
01-08-2004, 12:01 PM
I have MS related balance issues as well as walking problems. I need to use a cane to help keep my balance while walking. The Segway is great. I am able to go and do things I could not do before getting my Segway. I think because I am holding on to the Segway my lack of balance is a not a issue in using the Segway. My only problem is mounting and dismounting, but like many activities, I adapt. Perhaps the P series might be easier to mount/dismount but based I what I've read here regarding power and sense of stability I'll stick with my Segway.

I think you will get more input if you post on the main board. Most of us disabled users belong to forums specific to thier disability and do not check here as often as they do the "Main" board.

The only benifit I see of posting here is your post will be on page one longer.

Mr_Laurenzano
01-15-2004, 02:48 PM
The segway is an extension of the cognative ballance capibility of the mind from the waist down. You must try the vehical with the following limitations.
Splint both your legs and drink a sixpack of beer. this should give a good representation of how difficult it would be. If you dont like beer, fill your ears with water and and put in ear plugs.
I know this sounds unconventional but so is the mode of transportation that you are trying to evaluate.
I have tried this and will contest there is room for error but practice makes perfect and the ablitiy of the user will increase as they adapt to the mode of trans-protation. Love Tony. LVN California

peace is a oneway street, with no crossroads and no deadends

ions82
01-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Hello!

It's quite amazing how well the Segway can "correct" balance issues. I have a low-level spinal cord injury that is incomplete. I have retained some of the use of my legs. I can "walk" with the assistance of crutches or a cane. However, it is very inefficient and unstable. I can balance without holding on to something, but not for very long. Eventually, I will lose my balance and fall. My gait while walking is more of a "controlled fall" than anything else. That's where the Segway is great. I've only test-ridden one, but I have every intention of owning one. While on it, I don't have to try and "correct" for my lack of balance. The Seg does it for me by moving ever so slightly (back and forth) while I'm standing on the platform. I can stand for hours. I just can't balance. What also makes the Segway so great is that it doesn't allow one to fall over/forward. My poor balance could easily allow me to tip forward and fall. However, the Segway just leans into one when they start to go too far forward. I'm sure I could discuss the benefits in more depth. I'd love to talk with a P.T. about the use of a Segway by people with disabilities. I can't wait to own one of my own. I KNOW it will improve my life: mobility, accessibility, and above all, human interaction. I can't wait.

jrmiller
01-16-2004, 01:27 AM
Ions, greetings. I think you have hit the nail on the head refence your lifestyles and mental well-being be boosted. Mine were and I have abolutley no regrets. The HT changed my life and basically gave it back to me. Damn the Parkinsons, full speed ahead!!! SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR :>)

BruceWright
01-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Welcome Earllane!

I have seen people with inner-ear problems such that they cannot ride a bicycle instantly get on a Segway and have no trouble at all.

The reason is, you don't need to balance yourself or the machine, you merely need to shift your weight in the direction you want to go, forward or backward. If you are going forward, and you want to stop, for instance, you don't need to balance, you just need to lift up on your toes a little until you stop, or straighten out your arms a little bit. No balance required, just a requirement to be able to see if you are rolling or if you are stopped.

Think of it this way, the Segway would be unridable if it DIDN'T do all the balancing that is required of the machine AND the rider.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

Betty Boom
01-26-2004, 04:39 PM
I have MS and balance issues as well as weakness. It's hard to believe but I am actually way less unbalanced and dizzy on the Seg than off. It's like having your sea legs when you get off tho. Takes a few minutes to feel right on non-moving ground again. I think that is because the Seg compensates for the little weave in my stance by moving gently back and forth--when I get off the earth is not nearly so cooperative! That's how I got this name!!

Betty Boom