PDA

View Full Version : Question about Insurance

kwiley
01-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I have two questions about Insurance. First, has anyone here bought insurance coverage for the Segway? (e.g. for theft?) If people have bought insurance, what type of insurance was it and what were the rates?

And second, has anyone had success at getting their medical insurance to cover Segway as a mobility device for medical purposes?

Thanks for any input.

Kerry

jrmiller
01-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Kerry, I got my HT insured through Allstate. I found the rates were very reasonable and it is insured under the motorcycle category "make not listed/known". My agent checked and apparently Allstate did not know what to do with it so they said to do it under the motorcycle umbrella. I'll have to check the rate, but it seemed to be more than reasonable. The local State FArm agent did no know what to do with it and finally got a rate and I maade a quick exit from the office. I hope this make a little sense and that it give you and idea of where to look. I'll post the rate when I find it in the voluminus pieces of paperwork I aquired over Christmas. SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR :>)

MagiMike
01-07-2004, 04:27 PM
You Should also check out Progressive Insurance Company at their web site Progressive.com. On the first page select Segway in the "type of quote desired"
You can get a personal quote based on your age,driving record (car) and location. Several of the SegChat members have policies from this company. In fact it's almost the only company that seems to know that Segways exist.

Mike in Houston TX.
It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. - James Thurber

BruceWright
01-16-2004, 05:17 PM
I have insurance via State Farm. They insure it as a recreational vehicle, similar to an ATV.

It costs me $90 a year for comprehensive, liability and uninsured motorist.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

insanecanes
01-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi. I wanted to thank those who replied with the input on the insurance. I was able to get what I needed with the information.

Again, many thanks.

Kerry