PDA

View Full Version : Request for Assistance

kwiley
01-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Dear Forum Members:

I am a new Segway user.

I have Cerebral Palsy and due to the disability I have limited leg flexibility. I am having a problem getting on and off the device.

I have trouble stepping up. I can get one foot on the unit without issue. I have trouble positioning my second foot and gaining the right balace. After my one foot is on the unit, the unit starts to move.

Does anyone have any strategies or suggestions about how to stabilize the unit while getting on and off? My fear is that one day my foot will be too far back and I will end up flying backward...

This problem is more pronounced in public places where there is not a wall or something that I can force the unit up against.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kerry

jrmiller
01-03-2004, 01:58 AM
Kerry. I have on several occaions been experimenting with my HT and have place my dominat foot (right) on the pad and then tried to balance and glide with only the one foot applying pressure. It worked and then I gradually placed my other foot on the pad. It is kind of like watersking with 1 ski. Its a little wobbly until you get used to it. I am sure with a little practice and familiarity with the unit you will master a technique that works best for you. It can be done. BEr patient and positive. It is worth it!!!!!!! Best of luck and SEG-ON SEG -RIGHT JR OH yes I have Parkinsons and sometime I do not get my other foot up on the pad as quickly as I would like, but after a little practice it becomes smooth. :>)

Nel
01-04-2004, 12:12 AM
I, too, am brand new, getting our 'p's for Christmas. Today, for the first time, we buzzed around the mall. I had never been thru the whole thing before. Hope it's the last time too-lol. Anyway, I also have balance problems resulting from polio. My weight bearing leg is the left and I have been playing with the 'balance' issue. I was thinking that I kept drifting to the left and realized I was constantly 'correcting' to the right.
I understand your concern about getting the one foot on and have it wobbly, but I can now balance the segway with just my left foot and I'm not concerned anymore about it. BUT, I've been practicing for a long while since there is snow outside the last several days.
Remember, the more you use it, the more you become one with your segway.
Nelda

TiVoAussie
01-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Hi Kerry

My wife (one bad leg) had exactly the same issue, at first. She could not mount at all until she practiced *repeatedly* with me steadying the machine. Several times it would come back and hit her in the leg, it really was quite sad to watch.

I would agree with the others, practice is the key, over and over again. Don't worry, you'll get there.

Cheers

Ron

There are a little over six thousand Segway owners!
There are a little over six billion people in the world!
I'm one in a million! :)

Earllaine
01-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi, I was wondering if your problem (flexibility) occurs just with one leg or both. And I'm especially interested in knowing if beginning with one foot or stepping up with one leg and operating it initially with one foot (until you have gotten the other foot on the machine) has helped you. As compared to propping the Seg up against something to start (?)

It seems like strength on the leg that stays planted on the ground isn't an issue (?) but can it move fast enough to allow you to get up on the Seg? One thing to consider when learning- Hockey chin pads placed in knee high stockings!

Good Luck

insanecanes
01-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Hi. I wanted to post a follow up reply. Members were correct that practice made the difference. I was able to use the suggested water ski move, putting my left leg (dominant leg) on the unit, and swinging my right leg around the wheel.

I also found the handle bar height and the type of shoes I wear critical. Certain types of shoes cause my feet to stick to the platform.

Thank you for the feedback.

Kerry

jrmiller
01-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Greetings Kerry, Glad to hear that you are smoother on you entry onto the HT. I am glad the water ski thing helped to coordinate the thought process. Welcome to tne WonderfulWorld of SEGWAY. SEG-ON SEG-Right JR :>)

Stewbonz
01-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Try backing the Segway up to an 8" curb, then walk straight onto the platform. No stepping up needed.

JEFF JARVIS
ThailandSegwayTours.com