PDA

View Full Version : Why the negativity?

terryp
12-22-2002, 03:47 PM
We've all seen the negative comments concerning the Segway HT. I really don't understand where these people are coming from. Why would a stranger be so concerned that my riding a Segway might have a negative impact my health, as though it will eliminate all forms of exercise? Why would a stranger worry about my spending $5000 for an safe, enjoyable, non-polluting way to commute (when they probably drive their $50,000 SUV to pick up a pack of cigarettes)? For me, the Segway will soon ;)replace a car, saving gas, insurance, maintenance, parking fees, and frustration with gridlock, while freeing up some storage space in my garage. I’ll still walk, bike, play tennis, jog, and use the gym. No - they’re neither for everyone, nor for every trip. But for me and many others, I expect they're going to fit the bill perfectly.

Casey
12-22-2002, 07:37 PM
I have noticed very little negative attitude toward Segway on SegwayChat. If you are referring to another well known forum, there is one that is almost all negative, but we have no control over it.

As far as negativity is concerned on SegwayChat, while most posters here are pro Segway there are going to be a few that see limitations to Segway and as long as they are courteous and honest in their criticism they are invited to express their opinions. If they become abusive or are "trolling" they will be properly dealt with. If you are aware of any abuse we are missing, please feel free to contact Admin about it.

terryp
12-23-2002, 01:01 AM
Casey -

No, I wasn't referring to this forum, nor any other in particular. But in surfing for info on Segway, I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have some kind of chip on their shoulder. Too expensive, no practical use, potentially dangerous, people who use them will get no exercise, etc. I was fortune to get to try one recently, and found that it's virtually impossible to run into someone with it. I also had it purposely driven over my foot in soft shoes - absolutely painless. Most this pessimism should evaporate as more of these wonderful machines get into the hands of the public.

Blinky
12-23-2002, 01:21 AM
Hello terryp, please share your thoughts in the main forum!

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

theeagle
12-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Have to agree, there is a fair amount of negative comments about the Segway, and most of them sound like they haven't even visited Segway's official website yet!
About the whole biking to work thing. First of all I can't ride a bicycle -balance problem. Secondly, can't imagine wanting to bike to work in skirt and high heels!

tombarnes
01-16-2003, 05:15 AM
I do not drive a car and I am concerned that some places may want to require a driving license for use of the Segway. Is this a likely possibility? I am not particularly adept with cars and do not live in a place where I need one. I would hate to have to go to the bother of getting a driving license to use the Segway.

Tom