PDA

View Full Version : Onboard spare 12v battery with inverter

Fletch
12-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Any electrical engineers out there?

Can anyone comment on whether this idea would be practical when an AC source is not available to charge the HT.

Using a 12v 7.5mah battery (the type use for r/c model car/airplane/helicopters) attach it to an inverter and charge the HT. The battery is small enough to put in the front bag or mount on the side holder. But how long would the 12v 7.5mah battery last? Would it give a full charge? Does anyone know the current draw required by the HT etc.. and could anyone figure this out? I assume a 400W inverter would be fine.

Thanks.

citivolus
12-16-2003, 12:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Fletch

Using a 12v 7.5mah battery (the type use for r/c model car/airplane/helicopters) attach it to an inverter and charge the HT.

Won't work, compare 12 volts and .0075 amp hours of that battery with the Segway's 72 volts and 3.0 amp hours. It might be a good battery for a small light but that's about it. Oh, feedback would be better in the regular forum, this is a bit off for the buy/sell forum.

--
swiftly flying

dgbint
12-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Hi Fletch

I am an Electrical Engineer.
Your concept is interesting.
But your numbers are a bit off.
To be of any real value, you would need a solid battery, maybe a motorcycle or small car battery ( 10's or even 100's of AH rating ).
mAH is thousandths of AH ( Amp hours ), so anything with mAH rating will be too light.

Of course, you should be a little careful not to regularly charge the HT batteries whilst they are warm or hot.
So this means that you shouldn't try and charge them whilst you are gliding. There may even be a software lock-out to prevent this.

If you want further details or numbers feel free to contact me on this site or directly on dgbint@bigpond.net.au

Michael
( Sunny Melbourne, Australia where the temp = 90F today )

kyappc
12-24-2003, 06:30 AM
what about using an 12vdc/ac inverter from the car cigeratte lighter ?

Lohja
12-24-2003, 02:46 PM
I have a 2000 watt Honda generator (EU2000i). It weighs only 43# and is self-contained within a plastic case with a handle. The noise level is only about 59db at full load. It's very quiet and it will charge the batteries anywhere as the charge rate for the HT batteries is only about 105 watts. This generator costs $999. Honda also has a 1000 watt (EU1000i) for around $650. You would be better off buying another set of batteries for $500. However, I bought my generator after Hurricane Isabel passed through my living room. So, I have a dual use for it. If you need a generator for an emergency (such as I do), I recommend the EU2000i (the 1000watt one is a little small for a standard 15 AMP circuit). It has no brushes and it puts out extremely pure power--very good for electronics. It can run all night as it's very quiet. I sometimes charge my HT with the generator to exercise it.

Stan671
01-05-2004, 01:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by kyappcwhat about using an 12vdc/ac inverter from the car cigeratte lighter ?I have done this - it works great.

Stan Dobrowski