PDA

View Full Version : How do you Segway?

Novato
12-08-2003, 02:32 AM
I am considering buying a Model 'P' for my wife who has MS. Currently she walks around the house but will use a wheelchair when we go places with much walking. We had the wonderful opportunity to try an 'I' model and I was amazed at how quickly she was able to use it. (Thank you Fred and Jerry)

I am trying to envision how she will use the segway in day-to-day life. Does it work well around the house, in yard, for shopping, etc. Can anyone share how you use your segway in typical day.

Thanks

Roger!

SegwayUtah
12-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Roger,

It's very feasable to use a p-series HT around the house, in the yard, for shopping, etc. I use mine just about everywhere I go. Friends often joke that I never go anywhere without her :)

That said, I would seriously look at the i-series vs. the p-series for your wife. If she feels completely comfortable on the p-series and will be using it in the house, etc., the p-series should be perfect. But the i-series does add a bit of stability and industrial-ness that you don't get with the p.

As an example, I was playing with a friend the other day, riding his i-series around. When I stepped on my p-series, it almost freaked me out: it felt like I just stepped on nothingness; psychologically, I couldn't believe for a moment that it would hold me up :) Of course, I was wrong. The p-series is really an amazing machine. Of course, the whole p-i-e family is pretty amazing.

Chris

Novato
12-09-2003, 03:16 AM
Chris,

Oh no, you have thrown a curve to my thinking. After reading up I was quite convinced that the P was a better option for my wife. 1. it is smaller and easer to move around the house. 2. It is less of a step up.

I agree that that "I" would be better for outdoor use, but all and all I think she will use it indoors and on paved surfaces. I have not tried a "P" yet. I will see if I can find a place to demo it in the CA Bay Area. I am still leaning toward a P but I'll rethink the "I". Thanks for the input.

Roger

fredkap
12-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Roger,

Welcome to SegwayChat! It was great meeting you and your family in Santa Monica. Your wife is petite and the P will be fine for almost all functions except the I will work better on sand, hiking trails with roots and snow. The P model will be easier to transport. I have riden both machines and I think the slight loss in the P model's performance is far outweighed by its easier ability to transport it. As an example, it is far easier to put a P in a taxicab than an I. There are several members of this forum that own both and several of those have elected to sell their I and just have a P. I have no doubt that owning a Segway will enhance your wife's mobility and you will have no regrets.

Finally, contact Poohbear from this forum, who also has MS and has had a P for about a month.

Best regards,

Fred