PDA

View Full Version : Segway and the "dork factor"

n/a
09-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Detractors of Segway have criticized Segway as being a dorky vehicle.

Definition:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Etymology: perhaps alteration of ****

slang : NERD; also : JERK 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does one look dorky on a Segway?

We might also ask, does one look dorkier on a Segway or on a bicycle, on a Zappy scooter or some similar vehicle?

To answer this questions, we might consider how new styles come about. I think it usually starts with people who are generally looked up to or admired by society starting a new trend. They can be fashion models, movie stars, etc. Ordinary people try to emulate those they admire. If Segway is to appear cool, "cool" people will have to be shown riding them.

One factor that is favourable to Segway is that it increases the height of the rider by 6-8 inches. Nobody will debate the issue that being tall (in western society) is a very positive characteristic, for men that is. When two president candidates are running for office, usually the tallest man wins. I just saw a program about the torture some short people go through to increase their hight by a couple of inches. The hight advantage Segway offers to the riders is definitely an anti-dork factor.

Another factor is looking "cool" literally. A person that walkes or rides a bike is bound to get sweaty from the exertion, especially on a hot day. Sweaty people are easily percieved as anxious, nervous, lacking confidence etc. Nobody likes to shake a sweaty hand. Few people like the smell of stale sweat. Segway help keep riders fresh and energetic.

Still another factor the way people move around. On a Segway almost anyone can move with grace and elegance. They are perceived as gliding over the ground. A fat person might look like they are waddling if they walk and comic if they ride.

I have seen policemen on Segways that look very intimidating indeed on a Segway. A criminal might think twice about trying to make a run for it knowing that the cop is after him on a machine that can outrun him in certain environments at least.

As Dave27 link from today shows, when politicians ride Segways to help their image, it cant be perceived as being all that dorky.

When we see souped up Segways used for extreme sports and see them being used by special forces, any image of Segways being dorky should fade away for good.

yop
09-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Dorkiness won't be a factor for commercial sales. The people who will decide whether to buy Segways will be managers. The people who ride the Segways will be labor. The managers will only be concerned with usefulness and the bottom line. Look at UPS, one of Segways target markets: Managers chose the uniforms, delivery people have to wear them. Do you think the delivery people would have chosen that for themselves?

Casey
09-09-2002, 04:32 PM
Sounds like you don't like UPS uniforms.:)I don't care much for their dark brown either.

But on the subject of managers choosing and labor riding. One of the purposes I see for Segway is management use. In the large plants I have worked in supervisors and front office people have had to visit all areas as part of overseeing the activities. While walking is always an option, and good exercise, I see a couple of Segways parked by the door going into the office suite. If anyone from the offices should need to tour the facilities, they would simple hop on a Segway and go. It's manuverability and small footprint would make it capable of going virtually anywhere a human can walk, including up ramps between levels that are used for the carts and wheeled racks that are used in production.

I have been given the argument that everything management does can be done electronically. All I can say to that is that the people saying it have apparently never worked in a factory or large warehouse.

Frank

Antagony
09-10-2002, 01:15 PM
quote:Dorkiness won't be a factor for commercial sales. The people who will decide whether to buy Segways will be managers. The people who ride the Segways will be labor. The managers will only be concerned with usefulness and the bottom line.

True, but Kamen is most concerned with the consumer markets. Segway has many times been compared to a lawnmower by the media. That is not a flattering comparison. In the book proposal, Steve Jobs was very critical of the design aspects of the Segway. I wonder if anybody believes that Job's advice was heeded? It would seem not. The original consumer version of Segway has been removed from the Segway LLC site. Could that mean that they are rethinking the design among other things? Let's face it. Most people want to look good when they ride a new vehicle they paid $3000+ for. Just because Segway is very cool from a technological viewpoint and is a pleasue to ride, that wont necessarily make the person riding it look cool.

Lawrence points out that Segway will make people look taller. Short men and very short women might like that, but most women dont want to look tall and tall men dont want to stick put more than they already do. Also the saying "The taller they are the longer they fall" is relevant for consideration here.

For the sake of fairness, I would like some polls done to see whether people think that Segway riders look cool or dorky. Their respose is likely to be affected by the publicity and advertising they have been exposed to. So far I have seen very few comments stating that The Segway looks cool or stylish. Perhaps we can hold Kamen responsible for that. He is proccupied with functionality not aesthetics. That is why he holds the guiness book of records for wearing denims.

majic
09-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Antagony, how, in your opinion, would the Segway retain its functionality and not look dorky? What is it that makes it look dorky? I understand why that word is being bandied about, but am unsure as to exactly why? Is it the roll-lawnmower similarity? Is it more to do with the helmet on the riders? Or is it simply triggered by its novel and unique appearance? A mixture of all of these? What specifically. I would be interested in people's opinions.

Casey
09-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Magic, you didn't address that to me. But on the question of helmets, as with bicycles, skateboards etc, adults are not required to wear helmets. My oldest grandson would not ride a bicycle until he turned 18 and was no longer required to wear a helmet. It may well be the helmet factor that is causing the "dork" "nerd" comments. I don't see where those terms apply anymore to a Segway than a bicycle.

majic
09-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Anyone feel free to answer. I meant only the aesthetic / functionality factor that Antagony alluded to, to be addressed to him/her.

But I agree with you Frank. I don't see what is inherently dorky about Segway. Why does it receive that perception so often?

Poindexter
09-10-2002, 02:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by majic

Anyone feel free to answer. I meant only the aesthetic / functionality factor that Antagony alluded to, to be addressed to him/her.

But I agree with you Frank. I don't see what is inherently dorky about Segway. Why does it receive that perception so often?

I think the Dork Factor is something propagated by the Sidewalk Segregationist.

Anyone who is convinced of the efficacy of the Segway won't even consider what some less knowledgeable person or teenager thinks.

The less knowledgeable and teenager will think it's "cool" when everybody else thinks it's cool.

baantjer
09-10-2002, 03:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Antagony

quote:Dorkiness won't be a factor for commercial sales. The people who will decide whether to buy Segways will be managers. The people who ride the Segways will be labor. The managers will only be concerned with usefulness and the bottom line.

<snip>
I wonder if anybody believes that Job's advice was heeded? It would seem not.
<snip>

If you look at the early patent pictures with the lady on a 'segway' then it is very clear that the design has been improved.

Antagony
09-10-2002, 04:28 PM
quote:Antagony, how, in your opinion, would the Segway retain its functionality and not look dorky? What is it that makes it look dorky?

Majic, until I see an experienced rider on a Segway in real life, I will refrain from calling it dorky. I cant recall where the dorkiness factor became an issue. If I was to guess what might make Segway dorky, I would say the fact that the rider stands with legs slightly apart hunching over the bars motionlessly, staring ahead and going at 5-12 mph. might be construed as looking dorky. Perhaps the fact that Segway is apparently so easy to ride and requires little skill (at least for the basic manouvers), makes it appear to be a vehicle for the physically and/or mentally challenged. In contrast with a bicycle, cycling requires more skill and effort. The cyclist is not passive. A motorcycle gives the feeling of a roaring beast between your legs ready to charge away at your command. The Segway is a tame little thing. It is just supposed to replace walking. The Segway looks like simply a platform on wheels. from the side view it can be assosiated with an erect penis.

How might it's appearance be approved to look cooler? Maybe by adding some curves and colors, maybe by modifying the handlebars. The smily face on the dash may make it look user friendly for grandma, but not for any man that would like to appear halfways macho.

zeppo123
09-10-2002, 05:40 PM
I don't think people look dorky, just the opposite. The reason cheney (the real one) and others are seen on Segways are to look cool and in touch with technology. I would venture that when the bashers get their first real look at a Seg the first thought will be "I wish I could ride it". Maybe they will make the consumer version a little more sporty looking like the mens journal pic but it's not a must.

yop
09-11-2002, 08:00 AM
I think the dork factor is intentional. The people that they want on Segways don't care about the dork factor. Corporations will buy based on the bottom line, the military will buy based on utility, the elderly will buy to replace their even dorkier canes and walkers. On the other hand, the dork factor will repel the granny-terrorizing extreme sports fanatics who could mess up their legislative efforts. If they wanted it to be cool, it wouldn't be on Frazier, and you wouldn't see DEKA engineers demo-ing them.

On the other hand, maybe they aren't that smart. I keep waiting to see a photo of a pack of little white-haired old grannies on Segways. Why haven't they done this?

n/a
09-11-2002, 12:43 PM
quote:On the other hand, maybe they aren't that smart. I keep waiting to see a photo of a pack of little white-haired old grannies on Segways. Why haven't they done this?

My guess is that Segway wants to sell the machines to the people who might be able to afford it the most and the people who would give it status: middle aged professionals & yuppies. If old people are associated with Segways at an early stage the transporters could be construed as a medical assistive device for the impaired.