PDA

View Full Version : Cane Mount/Holder for Segway?

driley
11-23-2003, 05:34 AM
Hi All,
I recently got a Segway and it really is an unbelievable machine. I walk with a significant limp and use a cane due to a childhood illness which damaged nerves in my spinal cord. I'm not having any trouble at all riding my Segway and it really is like my feet have been replaced with wheels.

The only issue I have is what to do with my cane once I am onboard. For now I have been attaching it to my backpack before boarding. This is a bit inconvenient as I need to attach it before I get on my Segway. I would prefer to use the cane while I am getting on. I could use a folding cane and put it in the handlebar bag after I board but I do not much like folding canes.

So if anyone has come up with a way to stow a cane on your Segway, please let me know.

Thanks,

Devin

larryKay
11-23-2003, 12:56 PM
I sometimes carry a ski pole with me that is about the size of a cane. i have a velcro strap ( purchased in a hardware store). One quick wrap and it is secured to the control shaft..Easy on and easy off!!

Larry

StephenJ
11-29-2003, 09:54 PM
We strapped a 5 inch section of plastic pipe to the base of the control shaft with plastic cable ties. The bottom of the walking stick slides into the pipe, and the stick hangs by its handle from the Segway's handle bar. Its very secure and quick to set up - no drilling.

driley
12-02-2003, 03:10 AM
Thanks Stephen, I rigged up something similar and it looks like it will work pretty well.

Devin

Shawnee88
02-05-2004, 03:51 AM
I use a cane as well.. and I just bungee it to the shaft.

Wallace
03-24-2004, 03:47 PM
I adjust the CS height to match the length of my cane. I put a VELCRO "SPOT" on the rider side of the horizontal Control Shaft are. below the GREEN BLINKY lens and a corresponding VELCRO SPOT or STRIP on the cane itsself.

Works for me.

Gizork
03-29-2004, 11:25 PM
I have the same problem. I bought a roll of double-faced Velcro and cut lengths of about 12 inches. I roll a bit around the cane, then wrap it around the vertical post. It is cheap and easy to use. Use it in two places (high and low)