PDA

View Full Version : Exercising Dogs

remarker
11-11-2003, 04:38 PM
I am older and can no longer run my dog. Since my city is limiting the areas (even in open country and on the beach) where we can run our dogs off-leash, the Segway seems to me a solution. Do any of you use your Segway to exercise a dog? Or if you've tried it and it doesn't work, could you tell me about your experiences? Thank you.

BruceWright
11-11-2003, 10:46 PM
I would say that it depends very very heavily on the dog and the level of training of the dog, as well as your own physical level of agility on the Segway.

The dangers being: If the dog is large, they may pull you in a direction. When a Segway is pulled in a direction, it GOES, under power in that direction. You may find yourself out of control. That depends on the size of the dog, and your ability to pull back on the leash and hold them still. If the dog suddenly sees a squirrel and takes off, can you stop them?

If the dog is small, there is the danger that you will hit them with the Segway, or they will get their leash tangled up or under-wheels. That problem would be similar to riding a bike while walking the dog. You don't want the leash to get tangled up in a wheel. That danger could be worse depending on your physical condition.

I would say that off-leash walking would be the best solution. But if that's not legal, I'd say segway dog-walking might only be for you if your dog is perfectly trained, and the leash can be kept away from the wheels at all times.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

Scotty
11-12-2003, 09:57 AM
I walk my dog everyday with my Segway. I have an artificial limb which is limiting on distances. With the Segway I can take her for long walks. She is a Lassie Collie, very calm and rarely pulls on the leash. She does not chase cats, rabbits or squirls. I have one of those recoil leashes so it always keeps some tention between me and the dog. This way the dog does not get tangled in the leash. It is a very pleasant experience for me and the dog, she loves it and is not scared of the Segway.

Cruzan Glider
11-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Scotty,

Glad to hear you can walk your dog with while using your Segway. Just wanted to say hello to a fellow Buckeye. GO BUCKS!

Mike

[8] Bringing the future of transportation to central Ohio

remarker
11-14-2003, 01:57 AM
I'd like to thank you for your replies. Bruce, your perceptions are well thought out and noted -- my dog, though very well behaved, can be unpredictable as he is a sight hound. If I had a dog like yours, Scotty, or perhaps a lab, I would feel more comfortable in trying. I'm still interested in hearing from any others who, like Scotty, have been successful or who have considered it and dismissed the idea.
Thanks!

BruceWright
11-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Remarker,

I didn't want to be the voice of discouragement. I merely wanted to explain the possible interaction of dog/segway/rider.

A good solution would be to have an able-bodied walker handle the leash. The plus being that you could join them again in a run.

I posited another solution to this situation awhile back, dog's leash could be attached to a long rope around a tree. The Segway rider could run in circles outside the rope length, and perhaps the dog could get exercize safely that way.

I think the best solution might be taking the dog and Segway somewhere via car, and doing some off-leash runs there.

I hope you find a solution that makes you and the dog happy!

-Bruce

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

ulsterseg1
01-12-2004, 02:31 AM
HELLO,MY NAME IS MIKE AND I WALK A VERY STRONG DOG THAT DOES PULL ON THE RECOIL LEASH.BECAUSE THE LEASH WHEN EXTENDED IS ABOUT 15 FEET LONG I TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM TRAFFIC ON THE SIDE ROADS THAT I USE.MY METHOD IS WEARING A LEATHER BELT AROUND MY WAIST WITH THE LEASH ATTACHED.WHEN THE DOG PULLS TO HARD I JUST LEAN BACK.WHEN THE GOG GOES TO THE SIDE I TURN AND HOLD BACK.WHEN THE DOG STOPS I USE THIS AS A WAY TO KEEP UP WITH HIM.THE SEG IS STRONG ENOUGH THAT I CAN EVEN BACK THE GOG UP WHEN HE IS AFTER ANOTHER DOG OR WHAT EVER.A RECOIL LEASH IS A MUST.IF YOU TRY TO HOLD THE LEASH IN YOUR HAND OR HOOK IT TO THE UPPER HANDLE BAR THE DOG WILL CONTROLL YOU BY PULLING THE SEGWAY FORWARD.GOOD LUCK. PS PRACTICE IN AN OPEN AREA TO SEE IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU. CMDRCHEIF03@AOL.COM