PDA

View Full Version : Segway hand warmers!

gotseg
11-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Its been said in this forum that hands get cold fast when gliding during these cold months. So here it is the segway hand warmer.

http://www.giguphosting.com/glidegear/handwarmer.gif

Right now it containts a wind proof nylon layer on the outside (it says water resistant but from my tests its water proff!) with a warm fleece inside.

It has 2 elastic bands. One that fits snugly around part of the control grip and another that goes over your wrist/jacket. (fits on both sides).

I should have a price soon.

gotseg?

ElectraGlide
11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by gotseg

So here it is the segway hand warmer.

Dont gloves do the same......and dont they also keep your hands warm when you are "off" the machine and can be used in other places and times ? LOL

Steve

gotseg
11-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Humm... true! *trashes idea*

gotseg?

ElectraGlide
11-04-2003, 12:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by gotseg

Humm... true! *trashes idea*

gotseg?

Not really.....maybe a slight change....if you intend to ride in inclement weather a nylon/dacron version that covers the entire upper handlebar would keep the key-port, the turn mechanism, and the display clean and dry from snow/water/ice when parked. Should be an easy one piece zipper-on and off attachment. Luckily I dont have to deal with those conditions down here.....only the rainy summer months!
btw....Very nice graphic gotseg...I'm constantly impressed with some of the talents out there.
Steve

GadgetmanKen
11-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Hey Gotseg, don't give up so easily. :) You have great illustration style in your graphics. I like that. I may use you in the future. OK? Not trashing your idea. altho, I think you may be on to something. I will tell you later below, but. I will have to agree gloves do the same thing. It seems it would be difficult to get your hands in and out in a hurry, or even getting the second hand in with out using your other hand to stretch the elastic. Am I wrong here? What I think you could do to improve your idea BEFORE you trash can it, is go furter with it. Make them mittens, or sleeves you can slide your hands into, keeping your hands and wrists warm. Slip you hands in and out, kinda like an oven mitt. Make the open end come up and out at an angle. Lose the elastic at the outer end of the control shaft altogether. Know what I mean? Just as if your hand was actually holding on to the control. Can you invision it? What do you think?

It just occurred to me to that maybe another reason your hands get cold is because of the wind blowing around the control shaft over your hands. When your gliding, wind pressure can make it feel colder than it actually is. So, I'm giving you this one, on me. Why don't you try making clip-on wind shields for the control shaft in front or over the handle controls. Mini wind deflectors, if you will. Don't some of those competition dirt bikes have some shields in front of their handlegrips for protection? Maybe even clip-on windshields in front of the control shaft for your face and body as well. I think that those Chariot skins that the advertising company in Canada use, should raise or include a windshield. I think it would make them look and feel more useful and stylish. Don't you?

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"

jgassor
11-04-2003, 02:02 PM
Sometimes just having the wind chill deflected from your hands is good enough. I use fingerless gloves when it gets colder. This gives me a better feel on the steering grip. Motercycle riders have used a similar idea to cover their controls for years. Maybe you should not elasticate the hand entry point, possibly just provide a wide entry and as to easily enter/remove your hand.

Jim

Live life to the full, get Tivo and get a Segway! http://segway.gassor.com

gotseg
11-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Gadget, just email me, I would love doing something.

Thanks for the ideas guys! Im not sure how I would go about making a wind deflector but I know someone who has worked with fiberglass and he may be aible to help me out. Thats what its all about tho, learning new things! Ill keep ya posted.

gotseg?

terryp
11-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Even with double-lined gloves, my hands feel like they're going to get frostbitten on cold mornings. How about plastic bottle-shaped shields that attach to the 'accessory' screws under the handlebars, and keep the wind off your hands. They would be thin plastic, like a milk container so that, if you had an accident, you wouldn't twist your wrist.

Practicing safe Segs in Seattle

Sunday
11-18-2003, 09:46 PM
Get some Gore Windstopper gloves. They're great for cross country skiing and such. I can't imagine that the HT will be travelling that fast in the winter months that you need to worry about wind chill effect.

Or get a faring from chariotmedia.com that covers the handlebar area.

Sunday

Segway-more fun than you can stand!

Murray Fisher
11-19-2003, 12:02 AM
We recently got into the COLD weather here in the Northwest. So I started "layering up". Flannel shirt, sweater and jacket keeps that part warm at 40 degrees (so far). My REAL "Russian Hat" keeps the top of my head warm and ear flaps sometimes used. Sometimes wear a scarf. Can't get up enough speed for it to fly out behind like WW I aviators. I am thinking of attaching a "wavy" support to hold it so it looks like it streaming out behind me. For my hands, I have some soft leather gloves with rabbit fur lining that go over the cuffs on my jacket.....So far they ahve worked great. I thought I would have a problem with control with the left hand but find no problems at all. Mayabe I just grip it a little tighter. One think I DO need though, is something to protect my legs better. Up to about walking speed I am fine, but faster and my pants legs blow against my bare legs and it is freezing. I used to have some leg guards on my Harley a lot of years ago (I am 82). They were like a big stove pipe cut lengthwise......those worked great. LarryL, is using some sort of a plastic for his "Chariot" advertising, which I think would be great. I guess I could wear red flannel underwear but don't want to get in and out of those every time I want to go for a glide.

Aint it ironic that we all have nicely heated cars and some with heated seats and I have remote start on all our cars so we can preheat them even....... so we abandon them and go Segging. Fun Fun

Over 1400 miles now in a bit over 6 months, but not racking the miles up nearly as quickly now!

Murray Fisher

Murray Fisher
11-19-2003, 12:17 AM
I thought of something else for hand warmers. I used to have a set of fur lined "gauntlets", that clamped to the handlebars of my "bike" and flared out so you could quickly slip your hands in them to the controls. They were warm as toast without using gloves. I wonder if they are still available?

Murray Fisher

larryKay
11-19-2003, 12:49 AM
There are "gauntlets" out there available to motorcyclists and snowmobile people. they are oen sleeves that attach to the handgrips, so all one has to do is slip their hands into them and off you go! I use a set on my motorcycle made by an outfit called Bagman. I don't know if they are still available, but i have seen various kinds at the motorcycle dealers and rallies.

Larry