PDA

View Full Version : Segway warm/cold packs

gotseg
11-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Its been in the back of my mind for quite a long time to make a segway cooling pack for after charging. Something that would help cool the batteries like LLC recommends. So about a month ago I set out to start creating a prototype. A few days later I had a fabric pattern that I mailed to a kind and helpful DC seger to test the fitting.

After getting some feedback and the pattern back I started working on a prototype. This time I mailed an accual prototype to the DC seger to test its fitting and great news, it fits!
http://www.giguphosting.com/glidegear/coolseg.gif

That was project #1. But with it getting so cold outside, most people wont have much of a need for something like that right now. Accualy, something that keeps your ht 'warmer' then the outside tempereature. Within operating temperatures during the cold fall and winter is whats needed.

A few sketchs later I had a design that works. Instead of just strapping around the segway like the ice pack does, it is attached firmly to the segways underside platform by a strap that goes around the control shaft and hooking onto the back of the batteries. Staying free from your feet. When you need to warm it up just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds and your ready to go for a long time.

http://www.giguphosting.com/glidegear/heatseg.gif

Anyway. This is my way of trying to fund buying a segway. By making accessories for the segway. If anyone is interested in my creations please post or email me. Im trying to get a feel if this is worth pursuing and how many materials I may need to be ordering.

If nothing else this has been a great experiance. Contacting the companies and asking questions about materials. Doing testing..... Learning how to sew. Its that sort of stuff that you would most likely never get to do that makes it fun. Expecialy when you get to see an idea you had materialize and hopefully watch it be a success!

gotseg?

oh ya, if anyone can give me the dementions for a p-s I can start working on a pattern to fit it too!
http://www.giguphosting.com/glidegear/m.gif

Sunday
11-02-2003, 02:25 AM
I love it! I posted on the main forum today, a short comment about warming pads for the batteries. I knew I couldn't be the only person to think of it. As soon as I get a seg, I'll be ordering one.

Oh, and contact Chris (SegwayUtah) for dimensions on the p. He's been riding his in the snow.

Sunday

Segway-more fun than you can stand!

Blinky
11-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Gotseg, this is the best accessory I have seen posted on SegwayChat yet!

Now, how about one for the summer time to keep the batteries cool :)

great job,

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Blinky/Blinkyblink.gif http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Blinky/mrblinky.jpg

gotseg
11-02-2003, 01:31 PM
I have one for both warm and cool temperatures!

gotseg?

Sunday
11-02-2003, 01:49 PM
I've seen those pizza warmer bags, that plug in to an outlet while waiting to be used. I wonder if that could work too? That way, you could keep it plugged in while at work, instead of trying to find a microwave. Of course, that would drive up the cost considerably as well.

I wonder if a pizza place would order one for you, or if they can be purchased over the web?

Sunday

Segway-more fun than you can stand!

gotseg
11-02-2003, 04:23 PM
I just called down to the local pizza hut. If my english was a bit more spanish I may have been aible to get past the "small, medium or large pan pizza" part of our conversation. Ill google it, hopefully find a name or something. But I like that idea!

gotseg?

citivolus
11-02-2003, 05:40 PM
This is what I love to see, creative and proactive solutions. My hat is off to people like you and Wayne, kudos.

--
swiftly flying

Dwarf84396
11-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Just a question, but is the material that you are using hot/cold, or do you have two seperate: one for warm weather and one for cold?

gotseg
11-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Right now the one I have designed for use during charging is using ice so it lasts longer. Basicaly ice cubes laminated between 2 sheets of plastic so it is flexable (thats the idea). The design that attaches to the segway without interfeering with the platform (so you can glide with it attached) uses a gel which can be microwaved for cold days or placed in the freezer for warm days.

gotseg?

GadgetmanKen
11-04-2003, 12:16 PM
How hot does the bottom side of the battery casing under the Seg get? Does your blanket wrap cover the vent hole for your batteries? If it does you might want to make sure it doesn't block it. It could cause the batteries damage. What are the thermal differences (extremes) that actually affect the battery range? Like what extremes in temperature differences? Are you using the liquid or gel that's in refreezable ice packs of pads? What do you mean ice cube laminating? Is it basically water till you freeze it? Does it melt and drip? How about sweat?

Just wondering, Do you think putting in anti-freeze (Prestone?) inside your packs would have the same effect in hot or cold environments? Do you think it would be adequate?

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"

gotseg
11-04-2003, 05:25 PM
In my first version it was using a watery substance which froze but didn't expand that much. It also sweated and would leave water marks on the bottom of the fabric. So I decided to go to a gel material instead. Cost a bit more, but well worth it! You can also microwave it and it will stay warm for apparently 4-5hrs!

It does not cover the vent hole for the batteries.

Im trying to find a 6 hr opening in my day where I can check the temperature every 15 min. Once I get that data ill post it asap.

gotseg?