PDA

View Full Version : Warning about J&J heart stent?

muckle
10-29-2003, 02:40 PM
There's a story on CNN about a problem with Johnson & Johnson's newest heart stent, called the Cypher stent:

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/29/news/companies/fda_stent.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Anybody know if this is the one Dean developed?

MagiMike
10-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Dean and J&J developed the " Crown " stent. The stent in the article is the "cypher" stent. It is not the original stent developed by Dean. But being in the same company Johnson & Johnson it might be a "Grandson" of Deans original, I don't know about that. Anyone have more information?

Mike in Houston TX.
It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. - James Thurber

brina
10-29-2003, 11:45 PM
its from the coridis corporation, a jonhnson & johnson company

dont know much about it but i think i remember reading somewhere a while ago that they were driven to design it essentailly out of jealousy, and expected it to change the world and become rich off of it.

im not sure if this is true so dont take it all that literally-

but i dont think dean or deka had anything to do with it

brina
10-30-2003, 12:19 AM
I did a search for related news articles, and everything up unitl todays news- latest was about 3 weaks ago, was exstremely positive- like all the study's had exstreamly positive results and the demand way more then the possible supply... its funny what can happen in 3 weaks.

muckle
10-30-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info, MagiMike!

Sounds like this probably won't affect Dean at all. Guess this is one good reason to sell the rights for certain inventions, while maybe not for others.

segeois
10-30-2003, 05:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by MagiMike

Dean and J&J developed the " Crown " stent. The stent in the article is the "cypher" stent. It is not the original stent developed by Dean. But being in the same company Johnson & Johnson it might be a "Grandson" of Deans original, I don't know about that. Anyone have more information?
The Crown stent is a modification of the Palmaz-Schatz. It does not have distinct sections for longitudinal flexibility whereas the Cypher does, as seen here
http://www.cypherusa.com/patient/_images/addinfo_whatis_image.gif
Unfortunately I can't find a good pic of the crown but it looks very different. Probably the best images are in the patents (5980553 figure 2 is pretty good).

pedestariat (n.) - One lacking an epamd.