PDA

View Full Version : left hand requirements

BRR
10-22-2003, 11:36 PM
I have been studying the Segway with continuing interest. I injured my spinal cord 4 years ago which affected, among other things, my left side. I can walk short distances slowly, but must use a power chair for longer treks. My left hand is contracted into a position that could assist in balancing myself on the machine, but is in no way capable of controlling the throttle-like grip. Is there some way possible to modify the machine to work with my disability?

Brr

Stewbonz
10-23-2003, 01:20 AM
I was curious about this and mentioned my idea to Dean at the fest in Chicago. If you loosen the control shaft nut and rotate the handlebar 180 degrees the steering is now on the right side. Not a very ergonomic position but it works. Maybe they will produce a reveersible handle bar someday? Over to you, Wayne.....

JEFF JARVIS
Historic Tours-Thailand

Sleepy
10-23-2003, 04:41 PM
If it can be built, it can be modified.
It's just a matter of time and money.

Dean said at Segfest that Segway is not going to offer it as an option.
But I'm sure if there was enough demand, that someone out there will do it.
The toughest part would probably be openning the sealed handlebar to move the hall effect sensors from the left to the right. I think swapping the handle grip mounts would be fairly easy to do.

But at ~$600 a pop, the CS isn't something that most owners are willing to fool around with.

-Alex

W9GFO
10-23-2003, 05:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sleepy

Dean said at Segfest that Segway is not going to offer it as an option.
But I'm sure if there was enough demand, that someone out there will do it.

I remember him saying that it would not be an option in the same way that ordering a car with hand brakes is not an option. However I got the feeling that for people with genuine need for right hand steering Segway would (perhaps sometime down the road) make it available.

Rich H

Sunday
10-24-2003, 05:05 PM
Maybe if you asked them real nice, they would custom build you one. Seems it would be easy enough to do right at the factory. Of course, money talks. So maybe you'll have to negotiate a payment for this work.

Or, perhaps you could post something on the main forum, seeking left handed people for a group purchase from LLC. Maybe if you get enough people together, they would make a batch of special units witht he yaw control mounted on the right.

Sunday

Segway-more fun than you can stand!