PDA

View Full Version : Little known details about Segway & stirling

n/a
09-06-2002, 10:46 AM
Lets gather whatever tidbits, facts rumors we have about segways and stirlings here. They can eventually moved to the facts and rumour sections of this forum for a better overview. Let me start off:

Did u know that the batteries comprise of more than half the weight of a Segway?
quote: the battery, which comprises more than half the weight of a 70-lb. Segway, can store only enough juice to run the transporter for 10 or 12 miles over uneven terrain.

quote:Where a current Segway operates on just 72 watts, a Stirling engine-outfitted Segway could cruise along on 500 watts and go days without needing a charge.

Wouldnt that greatly increase the Segway's responsivness, potential speed, and load capacity?

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2002-04-03/cover_news.html

ftropea
09-06-2002, 11:16 AM
I once estimated that the batteries on the Segway-HT could cost anywhere from $700 - $1000, and even then - they have to be replaced every 3 - 4 years, depending on usage. So this raises some questions... how much might the Stirling cost? And what would be its lifetime before needing service?

It could even be cheaper than using batteries, while providing more range - more usefulness (power pack for various applications) and be lighter... meaning the Segway-HT could be more power efficient.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

Casey
09-06-2002, 11:38 AM
Frank,

From what I understand, the batteries would still be necessary for Segway. Unless DK has made a huge discovery, the Stirling engine is not capable of being the only power source to a high current drawing motor. Until now at least it is only capable of running a generator or alternator to keep the batteries charged.

Frank

ftropea
09-06-2002, 11:48 AM
That's true, but a Stirling APU might not need the same number of cells the Segway-HT currently uses. In fact, I had another thought on this... the Segway-HT could function without batteries if the peak power was supplied by capacitors which would remain topped off by the Stirling. When rolling along, the Stirling might provide enough power to keep moving... but when you need that extra kick, or power burst (climbing a grade for example) then the capacitors could kick in and supply that extra juice. Of course there would be some limit to how long you could do that, but it's an idea.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

ftropea
09-06-2002, 11:54 AM
My brother bought me a tiny radio controlled car. It's really small, about one inch long. (kinda cool) But you know what's really neat about it? You charge the car by attaching it to the controller. The controller has 2 AA batteries. In less than a minute, that controller passes enough juice to power the car for 5 minutes! I took the car apart and noticed that it didn't have a battery at all! It just had this tiny blue capacitor (about the size of a chiklet gum) and very fine wires connecting the circuit board to the tiny electric motor. Obviously this little car doesn't need a lot of juice.. but it is quite capable of moving over relatively irregular surfaces (wooden and tiled floors) and zip around for about 5 minutes.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

charmed
09-06-2002, 12:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

My brother bought me a tiny radio controlled car. It's really small, about one inch long. (kinda cool) But you know what's really neat about it? You charge the car by attaching it to the controller. The controller has 2 AA batteries. In less than a minute, that controller passes enough juice to power the car for 5 minutes! I took the car apart and noticed that it didn't have a battery at all! It just had this tiny blue capacitor (about the size of a chiklet gum) and very fine wires connecting the circuit board to the tiny electric motor. Obviously this little car doesn't need a lot of juice.. but it is quite capable of moving over relatively irregular surfaces (wooden and tiled floors) and zip around for about 5 minutes.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

I've seen such cars. Is your's a CharG by Tomy? Amazing little devices. I was told the motors were the same used as vibrators in cell phones.

Casey
09-06-2002, 12:07 PM
Yes, capacitors can be used as storage devices ie a battery. Many of our electronic devices such as TV and stereo equipment maintain their presets in just that way during a power outage without the use of a backup battery. It would require circuitry to regulate the discharge of the capacitors, as they tend to discharge with a sudden surge of power on their own.

Frank