PDA

View Full Version : Segway Resales-

Greg Adamson
10-04-2003, 01:41 AM
It would be prudent to have a Segway HT Forum for "Segway Resales." Why not? There is one about "Rentals." When I was recently at the recall center set up over the weekend at a nice hotel in Los Angeles I met another Segway HTi owner who was a mature (older) citizen that initially thought he'd use his Segway frequently, but his health has deteriorated since March when he bought his HTi and he hasn't used it much at all. He was certain that he would not be using it in the future. Another person ahead of me in line asked if he'd consider selling the unit. He said, "Make me an offer" The response was "How's about three thousand" The elderly man said show me a check and a moment later a bill of sale was written out and a resale was completed. It occurs to me there must be a number of individuals who have purchased the units but for a variety of reasons do not plan to continue using them. It would be prudent to establish a forum on the chat line for Segway Resales. Any owner could post his or her information on the web site and resell the unit quickly and efficiently. There are many owners who would buy a second unit if the price was signficantly less than for a new machine. Let's learn from Toyota. Because of the high resale value for Toyotas people will pay more for a quality Toyota than a similar SUV. If the web site helped set up such a forum for consumer resales it would help build a defacto resale market for the units and indirectly help retain the value for the new units. It would not be appropriate for this to be construed as competition or as counter productive or a detriment to first-time new product buyers any more than a used car department would discourage new car sales. Because the technology for this product has few moving parts and should last for a long time, it should be relatively easy to transact a resale to another interested party and transfer whatever remaining warranty to the new purchaser. It would help the fence-sitters who are contemplating a purchase to realize that they could always resell the unit on this forum if they no longer needed the device or if they desired to liquidate their investment. Just an idea. If you know somebody who has owned their HTi for less than a year and will part with it for $3,000 as did the fellow I met at the Recall Center please let me know. I'd definitely buy a second unit in good working order for that amount.

GJA

fredkap
10-04-2003, 02:58 AM
Gregg,

Welcome to SegwayChat!

I'll up you to $3,100. Seriously, I was there after you and everyone was amazed at how low that machine went for.

The only problem with your thought is that there has been at least one seller on ebay that seems to be selling for check or money order only and then doesn't deliver. Anything that doesn't assist a fraud is good. If I were to buy a used machine from out of town, I would want someone that I know through this board to check it out for me.

Heck, I might get another unit if I could get it for $4,495.

Anyway, welcome Gregg, we've had some nice get togethers and maybe I'll see you at the next LA/Orange County Segway Enthusiasts Group meeting.

Fred

Sunday
10-04-2003, 03:00 AM
Well, there is the Stuff to Buy and Sell section, but there are some pretty old ads on that area. And since a majority of Segway owners don't know about this site, or choose not to participate on it; the shameless commerce section is probably all you'll get for now.

But it is a good idea. That way, anyone looking to buy or sell one, doesn't have to go to Ebay, and worry about being taken by a scammer. Someone could post right here, and another interested party could meet the seller to evaluate the unit and give them some cash. Nice and easy.

And when you find one of those #k HT's again, send em my way would ya:)

Sunday

Segway-more fun than you can stand!

pt
10-04-2003, 04:24 AM
please post this up in the buy and sell forum (good place for it) i'll leave this here for now unless anyone yells at me.

cheers,
pt

q
10-04-2003, 08:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Greg Adamson

It would be prudent to have a Segway HT Forum for "Segway Resales." Why not? There is one about "Rentals." When I was recently at the recall center set up over the weekend at a nice hotel in Los Angeles I met another Segway HTi owner who was a mature (older) citizen that initially thought he'd use his Segway frequently, but his health has deteriorated since March when he bought his HTi and he hasn't used it much at all. He was certain that he would not be using it in the future. Another person ahead of me in line asked if he'd consider selling the unit. He said, "Make me an offer" The response was "How's about three thousand" The elderly man said show me a check and a moment later a bill of sale was written out and a resale was completed. It occurs to me there must be a number of individuals who have purchased the units but for a variety of reasons do not plan to continue using them. It would be prudent to establish a forum on the chat line for Segway Resales. Any owner could post his or her information on the web site and resell the unit quickly and efficiently. There are many owners who would buy a second unit if the price was signficantly less than for a new machine. Let's learn from Toyota. Because of the high resale value for Toyotas people will pay more for a quality Toyota than a similar SUV. If the web site helped set up such a forum for consumer resales it would help build a defacto resale market for the units and indirectly help retain the value for the new units. It would not be appropriate for this to be construed as competition or as counter productive or a detriment to first-time new product buyers any more than a used car department would discourage new car sales. Because the technology for this product has few moving parts and should last for a long time, it should be relatively easy to transact a resale to another interested party and transfer whatever remaining warranty to the new purchaser. It would help the fence-sitters who are contemplating a purchase to realize that they could always resell the unit on this forum if they no longer needed the device or if they desired to liquidate their investment. Just an idea. If you know somebody who has owned their HTi for less than a year and will part with it for $3,000 as did the fellow I met at the Recall Center please let me know. I'd definitely buy a second unit in good working order for that amount.

GJA

//

welcome to segwaychat.com!

(sounds like you got a great
deal.)

kthxbye.

q.

http://www.pcisys.net/~qwhew/segway/jpg_segway_sfest_08312003_sunday_3d.jpg
(plz click image to enlarge.)

//

Stewbonz
10-04-2003, 11:03 AM
I have bought several accessories from fellow Segway chat members. Post your used Segway here and it will sell.
I wonder if Segway will be selling refurbished units?
They must have a pile of Segways that were returned for some reason or another. Do they resell them as new? I buy my Dell computers from the refurbished inventory and save alot.
Over to you...

JEFF JARVIS
Historic Tours-Thailand

Blinky
10-04-2003, 03:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

please post this up in the buy and sell forum (good place for it) i'll leave this here for now unless anyone yells at me.

cheers,
pt

I moved it back here.

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Blinky/Blinkyblink.gif http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Blinky/mrblinky.jpg

blackjeff
10-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Hey, I was the guy in L.A. who bought the segway from the elderly gentleman. Like many segway owners I love to glide but usually do it alone. I already had an "E" model and I was happy to purchase the "I" for my girlfriend. It was lucky that I had a check on me at the time. The segway was flawless except for a broken kickstand, (what a suprize). I ordered a new stand (the price has gone down a bit) and now we glide together everywhere. We have been to Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Venice, Huntington Beach and received a very friendly responce from all......but when we hit Avalon on Catalina it was a very different story. But more on that later. I am always looking for a good deal on a used segway. (we have five children)

Darkman

Goldstreak
11-04-2003, 03:56 AM
What was the problem in Avalon on Catalina.I was planing on taking my Seg with me over there.Had a yacht for fourteen years, & spent so much time over there , was called the second mayor. Was always very friendly place & open.

Never to old for a Happy Childhood

jgassor
11-04-2003, 02:11 PM
I would be intersted in the story on Avalon too, please post that in the general discussion forum area. I am guessing the problem was related to the other electric vehicles on the island, maybe licensing or impact on local business!

Jim

Live life to the full, get Tivo and get a Segway! http://segway.gassor.com

donna.boden
11-07-2003, 06:38 PM
I am thinking of selling one of my i series (I have two) so I can justify getting a p. I wouldn't give it away for $3,000. I was thinking of reducing the price a little (maybe about 4200). I paid 5000 for mine and I was an early delivery contest winner and probably have an early serial number. Is that a desirable thing???

Sunday
11-10-2003, 01:27 AM
If you had an earlier version of the software, like 11.0 or earlier, then you might have something:) But imagine if you were looking to buy a used HT, and you found a seller who was an early corporate buyer. Imagine that they paid $9,000 for theirs. Now they want to sell it, and they figure $4,500 is a fair price to start at.

So now you have a machine that you paid $5,000 for, nearly a year ago. That means that very soon, your unit will have no warranty. Personally, I wouldn't be jumping at the chance to buy a used Segway with no warranty for $300 less than a brand new unit with full warranty and new batteries. And don't forget that new Segway smell when you open the box!

Sunday

blackjeff
11-12-2003, 12:51 AM
I think that the current resale price for an "i" in good condition is $3300 to $3800 depending on how many used units were for sale at that time.

Darkman

minntac
11-29-2003, 04:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by blackjeff

I think that the current resale price for an "i" in good condition is $3300 to $3800 depending on how many used units were for sale at that time.

Darkman

How about a brand new i series for $3950. RAVE 1-800-450-7105

Sunday
11-30-2003, 01:46 PM
So how much are they selling the enhanced traction tires for?