PDA

View Full Version : Handicap Sticker for the Segway

seg diego
10-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know where I could purchase a small handicap sticker to put on the front of my segway? Something about 2" square.

Thanks,
SegDiego

wayne
10-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Try calling someone who handles handicap supplies (wheelchairs and etc) or go to a local sign shop and get them to print one the size you need.
Or you can print one off your computer and put it on your Seg with clear tape.

Wayne

Try this

http://parkingsignsbypac.safeshopper.com/157/cat157.htmne

RWC
10-01-2003, 09:21 PM
I think QuadSquad knows... you could contact him through the Member list, linked at the top of the pages.

Lean forward, R.

"The best way to control your cow or sheep is to give them a large spacious meadow... and a Segway with all-terrain tires" - Suzuki Ralphi

jillmac
10-02-2003, 12:10 AM
You almost certainly could print one yourself. Just get clipart of the web (Microsoft has a great site with free clipart) and then either print on a regular label or there are lots of different types of media you can print on. I recently did bumper stickers for an event - just bought the 'paper' at the office supply store.

Jill

Just did a search and here is the link to some clipart

http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/results.aspx?Scope=MC%2CMM%2CMP%2CMS&Query=disabled+symbol&CTT=6&Origin=EC010331121033

Nothing is inexplicable, merely unexplained..... Dr. Who

seg diego
10-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone! Great ideas. Now I've got the clipart to make it myself.

Seg Diego

SegwayBill
10-02-2003, 06:15 PM
www.needdecals.com sold me 3"square for a dollar apiece. Service was fast and the 3" fits perfectly on the control shaft trim piece. I also got a sheet of 1/2" for $3. They are very nice people and make alot of state handicap parking permits.

Bill

Mr_Laurenzano
10-02-2003, 09:22 PM
Are you really disabled?? Prove it. Better yet write it up and I'll carry it.

peace is a oneway street, with no crossroads and no deadends

SegwayLongIsland
10-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Try this web page:

http://parkingsignsbypac.safeshopper.com/157/cat157.htm?398

billc
10-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Hi, Not a bad idea to ahve the sticker but not sure why you would want it??
Hopefully they are on cars so that you have access to parking spaces and so that other cars do not parkyou in (too close tothe side or rear door).

I guess it may help when someone hassles you about it in a mall...but I would prefer for people to use the shock tactic of waiting for someone to tell them they "can't leave that thing here" and then for that person to have to confront the fact that they just hassled someone with an artificial limb/MS/CP/Spinabif etc. ;)

It helps with alerting people to think about the needs of others before shooting off.

Just a thought....

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University

Mr_Laurenzano
10-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Good Point bill. Do you have any research on the capibility enhancement of amps using the HT? I am trying to get a hold of prothsethic doctor in Arroyo Grande Ca to see if it would be right for some patients.
Antonio R Laurenzano , LVN

Goldstreak
10-05-2003, 02:32 PM
I scanned my placard , resized & printed it. Then laminated it. Use velcro to hold it. As you carry a pocket identification with the same number in case of a challenge . No problem

Never to old for a Happy Childhood

billc
10-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Hi Mr Laurenzano...
I don't have any specific research other then the couple of trials we have done (and a number of the postings here!).

Basically it depends on what you determine/define as functional improvement. If you measure steps per day it can be argued that the Segway may actually reduce this....

There is no doubt that the person's capability to traverse further and for longer (time) is increased (that's what the device does.)

I would argue that it also increase the range and activities that someone with mobility issues will engage in simply because they are accessible. (This is no revelation...and flies in the face of the "couch potato" wisdom)

If we get the opportunity to do some research...then I 'll certainly post it here...in the maentime happy to discuss further and share thoughts

Bill Contoyannis

jrmiller
10-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Goldstreak is right on target. I went to a quick print shop and they copied it and reduced it to about a third of the original size. They then laminated it and I put it on the front of my SEGWAY handelbar bag with velcro. Works great and you can remove it if you carry the HT on the back of the car (wind could blow it off). By carrying a copy of the original, you also have the peermit number assigned to that sticker if someone choosed to challenge it. JR SEG ON SEG RIGHT

X-man
11-01-2003, 06:40 PM
I'm using a home made one right now. I scanned the placard and printed it out and attached it with some clear tape. Tape isn't holding well so I want to see if I can get a bumper sticker type made so it can be attached in the manner shown in this photo.
http://bythelake.com/segway/adatag-s.jpg

The Lone Glider! :)

fireballfive
11-03-2003, 09:42 PM
I'm not handicapped,but,Ya,I sure could use a sticker for my Seg that says "Old Norwegian Cripple".

Fireball Five

I Always Grab The Horse By The Tail And Face The Situation

hodgepoj
11-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Given that HT owners/riders are such outstanding folks, I'm sure none of them would sink to the depths of taking advantage of a handicapped emblem if they're not really handicapped merely to park closer to the door or to ride in an area that they could just as easily walk in; that is, to cheat those of us who are really handicapped.

hodgepoj

remarker
11-14-2003, 02:07 AM
Champion America (champion-america.com or 800-449-6005) sells 4-inch by 4-inch ADA symbol decals with an adhesive backing. The cost is $30.40 for a pack of ten.

Okeechobee Wind
11-15-2003, 04:53 PM
The idea of using your state registerd placard (Scanned and downsized)that includes a wallet regristration card is the best idea. This is what I have done also and it works perfectly. This shows your sincerity and allows others to abide by the ADA.

Murray Fisher
12-22-2003, 12:44 PM
RE Disabled Persons Permits.....I copied mine with my printer and laminated it. Then punched two holes near the top for cords that go inside my handlebar carrier. I have the carrier with a clear plastic "window" in the cover, which unsnaps both front and rear. I unsnap the front and leave the permit inside the carrier unless I want to SHOW it for some reason, at which time I can just flip it out. The cords fasten to a bolt I already have for my speedo/odo on the inside. In almost 7 months I have never had any need to show it, but its there if I should need it and of course I have my billfold card ID for proof positive.

Murray Fisher

kwiley
01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
I read this post with interest since I was questioned by a security guard at the mall today -- the segway is viewed as a recreational device. "I was not supposed to have recreational machines in the mall."

When I told him I was disabled and this was a mobility device, he was good about it. However, I can see these situations happening frequently with this.

Does applying a handicapped decal or carrying the handicapped parking sticker lessen problems such as this? How have members handled this?

Thanks.

Kerry

Murray Fisher
01-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Kerry,
I guess I can't answer your question very well. I have never been asked about riding the Segway inside a Mall or Walmart or other store. But I think this small town (30K) is probably more friendly to these things than big cities but who knows!! Something that kinda bugs ME, is that so many people don't even mention it, but ASSUME that I am disabled even without seeing the sign. The fact that I am on the Seg seems to tell them that. One even asked me if I was able to drive a car!! Also, I am 82 and maybe they think I might fall over if they offended me! Ha. I can walk fine, for a half block or so and then need to sit down and rest (arthritic hips mostly) So when I get off the Seg, I walk around and look perfectly normal. Incidentally, I think riding it is some kind of therapy....maybe the constant jiggling up and down and sideways a little as we go over cracks in the sidewalks etc does something, as I can sure ride the Seg a lot longer than I can walk. I NEVER have used my Disabled permit so far. My wife says we will have to CRAWL to a grocery store before I use it and I agree. There are many who need the parking spaces a lot worse than I do, but I am sure many abuse the privilege. It is a fantastic mobility device though and I am SO thankful I discovered it. I have gotten acquainted with SO many people and had nice visits since I got it and also have seen so much more in cruising around the town. I take it with me on a rear car carrier or motorhome to other towns and use it there. I am always very careful about not offending anyone while on it. I try to go as slow as the pedestrian I am near and not surprise anyone. If I am behind someone, I stay way back unless they happen to glance back and see me and then I move a little faster if I want to pass them. I stay on sidewalks all I can.

Just MY experiences FWIW.
Murray

quote:Originally posted by kwiley

I read this post with interest since I was questioned by a security guard at the mall today -- the segway is viewed as a recreational device. "I was not supposed to have recreational machines in the mall."

When I told him I was disabled and this was a mobility device, he was good about it. However, I can see these situations happening frequently with this.

Does applying a handicapped decal or carrying the handicapped parking sticker lessen problems such as this? How have members handled this?

Thanks.

Kerry

Murray Fisher

jrmiller
01-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Welcome Kerry, By using the handicapped plackard on the front of the HT it will bypass a lot of unnecessary questioning in places that may not be framiliar with the Segways and use as a mobility device. I was in a flea market and was questioned by a GROUCHY ladey that questioned me as to my disability. After a very short conversation, I continued on my way on the HT and the lady was convinced that it was being used as a mobility device. The next day I had a downsized plackard (see above) maade and affixed to my handlebar bag with velcro. I have not since been asked aor questioned re: my status. I have not had any problems in malls grocerys, etc. As previously stated, MANY pleasant conveersations and demos when appropriate. Welcome and as I read somewhere else in this site, "your 1 in a million" SEG-ON SESG-RIGHT JR

Mr_Laurenzano
01-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Great move JR

Murray Fisher
01-16-2004, 01:12 PM
JR: I see you are about to enter the elete with two stars. Ho Ho. Re the placard. I copied mine and laminated it (not changing the size) and punched two holes in the top. Then put two cords on it fastened inside my handlebar bag. I just flip it out if I think I need it, but normally leave it inside. My handicap is not obvious and I would just as soon people think I have no problem moving about, however I find over the past 8 months that many ASSUME that I have a mobility problem. Murray

Murray Fisher

jrmiller
01-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Murray, I,like you, somedays do not show a visible disability, good days vs bad days. I do not bring up the disability issue unless asked or the situation nessitates it. My tremors seem to subside somewhat when I'm on the HT, but if I dismount they seem to remanifest. What this about 2 stars? Keep the faith and remember..... SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR

Murray Fisher
01-16-2004, 11:14 PM
HI JR, Boy, am I glad to be able to give someoine info they don't alredy know.....when you get to 100 entries on Seg-Chat, you automatically get two stars below your name and become a Junior Member. The next jump is a lot of writing......500 for 3 stars and I think maybe 1K for four stars! I see your last one was #102. Wow.

Re the slowing down your shaking. I think there is something therapeutic about riding the Segway that should maybe should be investigated and written up. When I have a very tired back and my sore legs are hurting, I tell my wife I am going for a glide. Every time I feel better. I dunno if it is the posture, (I am told I stand straighter) or the constant little jiggling when we go over cracks in the sidewalks etc, or a little of both.......but whatever it is sure is a big help.

Murray Fisher

jrmiller
01-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Murray, Right, whatever it is, it is good. Mentally and physically I am refreshed a the end of a ride (glide). Onward and forward. JR

billc
01-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi jrmiller and Murray,

I'm guesiing that whilst on the Segway you aren't doing the high frequency balance correction and sway which is both tiring and triggering the tremours

Bill Contoyannis

jrmiller
01-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Greetings Billc, I guess I do not know what high freq. techniques are. All I know is that the HT seems to have a calming effect and tremmors subside and the balance issue is not as critical as it is when walking. Make sense??? JR

billc
01-20-2004, 11:52 PM
yep makes sense...also do a lot of balancing when standind (not only walking) which I'm guessing is also minimised by the Segway

Bill Contoyannis

jrmiller
01-26-2004, 12:46 PM
billc, whatever it is ......I LIKE IT A LOT !!!! can it be explained?

Shawnee88
02-10-2004, 05:00 AM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/street.safeshopper.com/images/b10dblgv.gif

HANDICAP STICKERS FOR SEGWAY

http://street.safeshopper.com/333/1365.htm?624

For a low price, free shipping and a handful of free American flag decals as well, I bought a 3" x 3" blue "regulation" handicap logo sticker for the Segway.

trigeek
08-05-2004, 11:44 AM
shawnee thanks for the link, that's exactly what i need!

trigeek
08-28-2004, 01:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by jrmiller
I had a downsized plackard (see above) maade and affixed to my handlebar bag with velcro.i got a sticker and didn't like the permanence of it.. i don't need it when i'm at work for example. so i made this velcro, removable one. great idea jr!

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL26/931507/1711846/64993212.jpg