PDA

View Full Version : A Segway pro pedestrian advocate...

n/a
09-06-2002, 10:36 AM
quote:Even Sally Flocks, founder of PEDS (Pedestrians Educating Drivers on Safety), finds herself a cautious advocate of the Segway. Originally, she says, she thought the transporter should be restricted to bike lanes. But when she tried one out, and found out how easily it maneuvers and how quickly it stops, she changed her mind. Plus, she realized that Segway owners, who are able to fork over three grand to buy one, will presumably have more political clout than a poor walker or bicyclist.

Another argument is, as the number of sidewalk users grow, so does their political clout, thereby increasing the power of the envirornmentally friendly vehicle advocates.

http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2002-04-03/cover_news.html

ftropea
09-06-2002, 11:21 AM
I never considered that, but I suppose it's true. If it was a product marketed to young people (non-voters) for example, then it wouldn't be likely that legislation would fly allowing them on sidewalks. However, since they're being marketed to adults - and now considering the price, adults who can afford one - it makes sense that these same people would be the ones most in control of what is, and isn't, allowed on sidewalks - they're the voters. Good point.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

Antagony
09-06-2002, 05:04 PM
Who is this Sally Flocks? She changed her mind after riding the Segway once? As far as I know people who initially ride Segways are not allowed to go faster than 5 mph. on a level surface with lots of room to manouver. Surely she hasnt tried riding it on a narrow sidewalk going at top speed with a full load.

There are a lot of people with 3K burning in their pocets that may do more to harm than help the Segway cause.

Poindexter
09-06-2002, 06:13 PM
quote:
http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2002-04-03/cover_news.html

Wow, thanks for this link. I've forwarded it to the person who is doing a Bikeway and Pedestrian study in my town for the city government.

If some Segway approval makes it's way into the report (I've been lobbying hard for it's inclusion on the sidewalks) it will one of the first "Planner" recommendation outside of New Hampshire.

BTW this is my first post here.

Thanks for the new forum. TIQ is dead, long live the Segway Chat.

Casey
09-06-2002, 06:51 PM
Welcome Poindexter. Glad to see you finally found us. Congratulations on the lobbying, every voice helps.

Frank