PDA

View Full Version : No Segway yet from dontines

cyberclone
09-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Still no Segway yet from dontines@imagin.net from the Sept. 10 auction. Says he is waiting for the Certified Cashiers Check to clear. According to the National Clearinghouse 800 number it cleared on the 17th. He is selling yet another Segway on eBay at...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3628217074&category=22703&rd=1

Be very careful about bidding!!!

Ebay is the way! Find me on Ebay as cyberclone69. Thanks!!

cyberclone
09-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Used P.I. to find out that he does not exist. No Income Tax record, no Social Security record, No school, job, credit, bank, etc.!! How did he cash my check and how did he get 32 Positive Feedback?? I was taken but I have been taken for far more. Lesson learned, how much help can I expect from eBay and why did they let him sell 3 more after I reported him??

Chapinville
09-27-2003, 12:13 PM
I love ebay but ya have to be careful.... To Better arm yourself check out www.paypalsucks.com & www.ebaysucks.com
Don't count on paypal or ebay to help when things go sour.[B)]

jho12
09-27-2003, 11:47 PM
It's back on ebay as of 6pm pacific time
How is he able to keep listing ?
Does Ebay Know

jho12
09-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Cyberclone you should bid on this at 6k so no one else gets burnt
but him!

cyberclone
09-28-2003, 02:12 AM
I notified eBay about him before his last 4 sales. He set it up so I can not bid on it. I sent him an e-mail today saying since the recall I would prefer that he send my money back to me and I will buy several Segways in the future. I have not left Negative Feedback yet because he does not refuse to send me the Segway, he only postpones sending it. First he said that I was conspiring against him because someone else won one and refused to send him money until I got mine. I told him that no one was conspiring against him, I only posted on a support group that I had received nothing but excuses since the 10th. Then he said that the bank had put a hold on the funds. When I told him that I had checked with Bank of America and they would only put a seven day hold on the check he told me that they had put a 10 day hold on his account. I got a faxed copy of the check and it was signed by Sean Dontine but no one exists by that name in the U.S. and the bank account numbers don't belong to Phoenix or California. Someone told me that when they put in his e-mail address that England eBay came up. I felt that being on eBay for over a year and having 100% Positive Feedback was good and I won't give Negative Feedback until he refuses to return my money. I contacted a couple of his buyers and have not received anything back from them in several days. One had 0 feedback and could be a shill but the other person had 270+ Positive Feedback. It all is very confusing, he has an answer for everything. He has so many because he was starting a golf course rental thing and the deal fell through so they have to sell. He wouldn't allow me to drive there because he has sold silver bars and can't meet strangers. I can't yell fraud until he refuses to do something and so far he only has excuses as to why my Certified Bank Check of the 11th has not gotten to his account yet. Time is running out for him and it is time for him to put up or shut up. Of course I have thought that before. I never said that he was dumb, just a jerk. He has not passed to the criminal side YET!!

TCOB_International
09-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Well, after reading the post linked below, its easy to see how he has all the positive feedback.

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5403

Also, I see your offering a reward for this person... contact me, I think we can work something out on that.

-Chris
TCOB International Inc.

TCOB_International
09-28-2003, 03:52 PM
I know I called them on my auction with him... and I am pretty sure he has as well. They are no help at all. In my case they simply told me to not send him any money or they would consider it an outside sale, yet they continue to allow him to post more auctions.

-Chris
TCOB International Inc.

TCOB_International
09-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Pardon me while I go into translation mode....

Him = Dontines

He = Cyberclone

*smacks self for not being more clear on previous posting*

-Chris
TCOB International Inc.

toybuilder
09-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Yikes. There is criminal infrastructure that exists to facilitate scams... A "legitimiate services industry" for illegitimate transactions... It's a bit ironic -- honesty among thieves.

The fact that dontines claims to have received a software patch in the mail for his Segways pretty much removes the last shred of doubt in my mind. And on top of that, his current eBay makes another upgrade-related claim that is very suspicious...

Sorry cyberclone, but it's time to call the cops...

http://www.pasadenasegway.org/

cyberclone
10-01-2003, 09:25 AM
His time as set by himself is up. I now consider it a fraud and will start treating it as such. Wish me luck.

cyberclone
10-03-2003, 06:44 PM
He started another auction. I left Negative Feedback!

GyroGo
10-04-2003, 04:38 AM
Negative Feedback? Cyberclone, pull all the stops and notify everyone who will listen, starting with the FBI (homeland security).

. . SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) . .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

IndyFIRSTengineer
10-04-2003, 05:14 PM
PRIVATE FEEDBACK?!?!?
I just went over to ebay to check on the negative feedback comment and saw the Dontines feedback is PRIVATE. What the %$#)!%* is that? Feedback is the best and one of the only tools you have on ebay to help assure yourself that you are dealing with someone who is reputable. How can ebay allow a seller to make their feedback rating private?? I guess that should be a HUGE flashing warning sign about doing business with that seller.

... and yes, I agree - it's time to call in as many big guns as you can find! Someone should make an example of this guy ...

Stuart Bloom - Rolls-Royce Corporation
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike High School "RoboDevils"

“Who goes out and says, ‘You have a better probability of winning the state lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make yourself a better living.’ Who tells them this?”
Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics

stuart
10-04-2003, 05:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by IndyFIRSTengineer

How can ebay allow a seller to make their feedback rating private?? I guess that should be a HUGE flashing warning sign about doing business with that seller.

... and yes, I agree - it's time to call in as many big guns as you can find! Someone should make an example of this guy ...

I agree. I'd like to see him and anyone like him strung up from the nearest tree. As far as making feedback comments private, I can't imagine why eBay would allow it but there are probably reasons. You can still see that he has 1 negative, so you combine that with him making the comments private and that should be the "HUGE flashing warning sign" you talk about. Although I'm sure that if someone asks him, he'll probably say that someone was harrassing him and he doesn't want anyone to read the "false feedback" and that he's working with eBay to take care of it.

Like P.T. Barnum said (and no reflection on cyberclone intended), "There's a sucker born every minute."

Stuart

Deviant
10-05-2003, 02:17 AM
cyber, you might consider setting up a bunch of new ebay accounts to outbid the future victims, assuming he doesn't block zero-feedback bidders.

(and you might consider changing your tag-line)

W9GFO
10-05-2003, 03:00 AM
Wow, that's incredible that ebay is so accomodating to scammers. I did get a chance to read cyber's negative feedback yesterday but now it's private.

Sheesh

Rich H

toybuilder
10-05-2003, 12:27 PM
How about putting up a penny-item dutch auction of a "How to buy a Segway" pamphlet?

This pamphlet would be just be a one-page document describing how to buy a Segway and how to make a secure purchase on eBay, and would list offenders...

Of course, the entire copy of the pamphlet would actually be pasted into the eBay listing...

The bid would be $0.03 (plus shipping and handling!) for anyone that want to buy a printed copy of the pamphlet! :D

stuart
10-05-2003, 12:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by toybuilder

How about putting up a penny-item dutch auction of a "How to buy a Segway" pamphlet?

This pamphlet would be just be a one-page document describing how to buy a Segway and how to make a secure purchase on eBay, and would list offenders...

Of course, the entire copy of the pamphlet would actually be pasted into the eBay listing...

The bid would be $0.03 (plus shipping and handling!) for anyone that want to buy a printed copy of the pamphlet! :D

That's a great idea toybuilder! I privately told cyberclone that my wife has seen people put up auctions that simply say "Don't buy from this seller" and don't actually sell anything. While this is probably againt the TOS it might help save a few people from getting ripped off but I think your idea is much better.

Stuart

fredkap
10-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Toy, great idea. Amongst some of the things that could be done would be to have the unit inspected by the local SEG group.

Fred

stuart
10-05-2003, 08:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by fredkap

Toy, great idea. Amongst some of the things that could be done would be to have the unit inspected by the local SEG group.

Fred

Maybe a link to Segway Chat so that people could find someone local to the seller??

Stuart

cyberclone
10-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Just checked and he is no longer a registered user. Does that mean eBay will be returning my money and the other 6 people's money who won bids after I alerted them of his scam?? Waiting for the check in the mail.

pt
10-08-2003, 05:21 PM
cyber-

i hate to say this, but you're most likely not going to recover your money without spending a lot of time, effort and more money.

cheers,
pt

cyberclone
10-08-2003, 07:48 PM
I am pursuing legal remedies and would like to contact other people who have been taken by dontines. Must be from California, the other states can't join me. But we can share info that we find. Will eBay Fraud give me the other winning bidders of the other Segway sales, yea, RIGHT? Contact me for details.

shermanus
10-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Dear Friends,
Just to let you know my experience with Sean Dontine:

Was outbid on his auction last week for a Segway.
Dontine sent me an e-mail that he has another one for $ 3,500 ("This Segway was used in a warehouse district to deliver documents. It was used in place of a golf cart There are no dents or bruises on this unit. The battery is new and doesn't have any sort of drain on it.")

...and to make Cashiers/Business/personel/ checks or USPS money orders payable to Sean Dontine - and send $3575.00 in payment, this is including shipping, packaging, and handling, and address to:

Sean Dontine
428 E Thunderbird Rd #701
Phoenix, AZ 85022

I told him that I would buy it, but would come to Phoenix to pick it up. Asked him for his phone number = never got it.

Suddenly the unit was to be picked up in Albuquerque, NM.
I felt that, because he knew I was in LA, this was a bluff to get me to go for the shipping option.
I called his bluff and said I would come to Albuquerque.
Then the unit was in Phoenix again.
The whole thing ended up with him asking for a deposit (or -retainer - as he called it)
I told him that I had seen all these posts in the chatroom and that here is a chance to come good. But no deposit, because "The expense and risk is entirely on my part. I would have taken a plane out to Phoenix, chanced that the thing is ok and that this is for real. This is not an ebay auction, so I have no recourse.
You on the other hand would have had to only meet me on your doorstep. "
Never heard from him again. I purchased another Segway from a more serious guy meanwhile. A little more expensive but 'for real'.

Conclusion: Very, very questionable

P.S. I am stunned at the friendly, professional and commodating customer support at Segway.

Sherman

ElectraGlide
10-09-2003, 03:59 PM
[quote]Originally posted by shermanus

Dear Friends,
Just to let you know my experience with Sean Dontine:

Was outbid on his auction last week for a Segway.
I purchased another Segway from a more serious guy meanwhile. A little more expensive but 'for real'.

Conclusion: Very, very questionable

Sherman

Well, after reading about his auction on this web-site about a month ago, I was first thinking that Cyberclone was over-reacting because very little time had passed after the auction closed before Cyberclone became suspicious with his dealings with the seller. Seems that his early worries were indeed warranted. I hope that those who were ripped off by "Dontine" get some satisfaction when this is all over.....and that Dontine, and the likes of him, no longer get away with their Ebay scams!
Believe it or not there's still a part of me that thinks ( perhaps "wishes" is the word ) that there WILL be a happy ending to this for cyberclone but with all the things written about Dontine lately it appears most unlikely. When I looked at his ad what I saw was just another Segway owner like us trying to sell his machine. I see that Dontine is NOT like most Segway owners I met at Segfest who are people enjoying their machines and good company , but rather he is possibly a low life common criminal taking advantage of the good nature in people. But......fingers still crossed here!!

Steve

shermanus
10-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Hi !
His address is a Mailboxes Etc.:
Mail Boxes Etc 428 E Thunderbird Rd Phoenix, AZ (602) 548-5512

A crook to me !

Best, Sherman

Sherman

opti6600
10-13-2003, 09:05 PM
You'd obviously need a lawyer to check this out, but here's my idea:

- file civil suit against alias Sean Dontines
- subpoena Mail Boxes Etc. on Thunderbird Road in Phoenix, AZ for their records of that PO box to find his proper name
- sue his *** for original cost, legal fees and investigative costs, etc.
- pass on the information to other dontines victims.

toybuilder
10-14-2003, 05:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by opti6600

You'd obviously need a lawyer to check this out, but here's my idea:

- file civil suit against alias Sean Dontines
- subpoena Mail Boxes Etc. on Thunderbird Road in Phoenix, AZ for their records of that PO box to find his proper name
- sue his *** for original cost, legal fees and investigative costs, etc.
- pass on the information to other dontines victims.

And John Does 1 through 5, because he might not have been acting alone...

keith
10-15-2003, 06:44 AM
This ad was just posted on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3631908898&category=22703

Picture is the same serial number as in previous ads.

Could this be Dontines work?

If so, maybe an opportunity to locate him.

Keith

ElectraGlide
10-15-2003, 12:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by keith

Picture is the same serial number as in previous ads.

Could this be Dontines work?

If so, maybe an opportunity to locate him.

Keith

This is one I mentioned several weeks ago that keeps changing his name and seems to use shills to give fake feedbacks. NO ONE sells a new Segway at that price for ANY reason ! I have followed several of his auctions , always with zero or one feedback......his past names have been : Kaitronics ,Wholesale_outlet,Tyreek04, and now chobtronics. I had a few other of his names written here that I can find at the moment , but looking into a few of his past auctions I found names that were sellers were also buyers at the same time! Very fishy........( not an endorsment for the Marlins )

Steve

cyberclone
10-17-2003, 04:35 PM
I have just returned from several days in Phoenix on a learning trip. I learned that the Phoenix Police will just refer you to the AZ Attorney General or the Internet Fraud Unit Online of the FBI. If you visit the Attorney General's Office they will not come down and meet you. You have to submit their form and wait 4 to 6 weeks to be assigned an investigation number. Bank of America won't tell you anything because he is their client. Our doing a stake out went like this....... I bought a long tube from Wal-Mart. It actually was a plastic golf club holder. I placed an old poster in it, Corvette I think. Then taped a note on the outside saying "Thanks for Everything!!" The plan was to follow him when he came out of the Mail Boxes Etc. Store and get his license plate and maybe follow him home and get an address of a real live person as the tube does stand out. After a full day and no sight of him I called the Mail Boxes Etc. Store and asked if he had been in that day. I was told that he rarely shows up as most of his stuff was forwarded to other addresses. When I complained about the fraud they told me that my best bet was to contact the United States Postal Inspector. This was the best thing that I learned. The U.S. Postal Service has authority over not only the U.S. Postal Services Post Office Boxes but also private P.O. Boxes like Mail Boxes Etc.!! I am now filing a lawsuit and waiting to hear from the U.S. Postal Inspector, Arizona Attorney General, the FBI, Bank of America investigation, Ebay Fraud, Phoenix Police, Qwest, several other private sources, God, Karma, and the Yin & Yang of the universe. He had to give someone a real live name and real live information at some point. Thanks to everyone for your help and support. It will get resolved, maybe not in my lifetime but at some point in time, someday. Thanks!!

P.S. I have not given up on buying things on eBay, I just purchased a Powered Paraglider and received notice of the FedEx tracking number. The Powered Paraglider costs about twice as much as a Segway and everything went smooth as usual!!