PDA

View Full Version : Segways on EBay legit forum

buffalo
09-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Please post info here about sellers of Segways on EBay to help people avoid getting taken by scams and helping those who are legit sell theirs.

cyberclone
09-22-2003, 08:22 PM
I did not mean to start a new topic. Just wanted to let everyone know that I have received nothing but excuses from dontines from my Sep. 10th eBay auction. Sorry about the new topic! Thanks!!

Ebay is the way! Find me on Ebay as cyberclone69. Thanks!!

buffalo
09-22-2003, 11:57 PM
I guess dontines is the first warning for this forum - be careful buying from him. He's not to be trusted!!!

Cruzan Glider
09-23-2003, 06:09 PM
cyberclone, please keep us informed of the status of your ebay purchase and if the Segway is never delivered make sure you report him to ebay so he can be cut off.

Mike

[8] Bringing the future of transportation to central Ohio

maperrye1989
09-23-2003, 09:26 PM
Is this legit??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3628460075&category=47351
I'm not sure cause i email him because you have to be pre-approved and he emailed me back and said "......the bike....." and it is being shipped from Berlin, Germany he said.

M.P.

Freddy
09-23-2003, 11:36 PM
ADVICE ;
Continue to check it out by asking Questions
Serial # etc.
Escrow ?

buffalo
09-24-2003, 11:34 AM
If anyone gets an email from someone overseas offering to sell their Segway at a great price, delete the mail and forget about the person. I knew it was a scam but strung them along to find out their angle. They want you to send them a money order. There's another person on EBay asking the same terms. If you do this, you will not get your Segway and have been taken. This scam needs to be known by everyone. It's a new product and the snakes are out there.

ElectraGlide
09-24-2003, 11:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by maperrye1989

the bike....." and it is being shipped from Berlin, Germany he said.

M.P.

I think I would stay away from an International purchase .....could be a lot of hidden expenses with the exporting/shipping back to the US. And why do they even begin bids at 500.00...or .99 cents for a Segway.....probably to get the bidding action started , but I prefer something realistic. I had a good sale of my Segway"i" on EBAY just over a month ago with a basic, no non-sense ad.

Steve

buffalo
09-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Not just stay away from Intl purchases, avoid them like the black plague. They're scams. Best is to not buy from anyone unless they allow you to pay credit card or pick up. Otherwise, there's a chance they're scamming you or stolen an identity.

gotseg
09-25-2003, 10:31 PM
escrow seems to be the way to go on any large payment type of deals.

gotseg?

stuart
09-27-2003, 01:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by buffalo

If anyone gets an email from someone overseas offering to sell their Segway at a great price, delete the mail and forget about the person. I knew it was a scam but strung them along to find out their angle. They want you to send them a money order. There's another person on EBay asking the same terms. If you do this, you will not get your Segway and have been taken. This scam needs to be known by everyone. It's a new product and the snakes are out there.

I strung one along from Berlin. She insisted that she won the Segway but was too old to use it. She offered it to me for $3000, then $2800 and then to another friend of mine for $2700. She wanted a cashier's check or Western Union Money Order. She even suggested that I send the money through Western Union under a different name and then, when I got the Segway, change it to her name. I can only imagine that she would use a fake ID or have a friend at Western Union change the name. She didn't want to use an escrow company because she "didn't want to get a third party involved".

Really, the best advice is to go through an escrow company unless you get a really, REALLY, **REALLY** good feeling from the seller.

Stuart

Stewbonz
09-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Dontines is a bit dissapointed that ebay has pulled his auction.
Here is an email I just got from him:
I ordered
the software the very first day and had it Express mailed. I will give
you a
chance to buy a Segway outright, if you act now. With no one allowed to
sell
these on ebay the price could be going for full price - if not $$4300 -
$5000 dollar. Tell me if you want to order one from me right now.
Act fast.

cyberclone
09-27-2003, 10:07 AM
How can he be disapointed, he does not exist? But he did cash my check. There is no Sean Dontine in the United States. Wish I had checked with the P.I. before I sent the money. Still looking to but a Segway for $3500, just say I spent $7000 for one. Any legal help on finding the real person behind this scam?? Thanks!!

Stewbonz
09-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Cyber, Id wait untill this update issue is behing us. I bet the P Series will come out soon and a lower price on the I Model will mean Segways on ebay will be going for under $4 grand.
Of course, make sure to personally verify the auction or have a friend do it for you.
I hope you get this guy.

JEFF JARVIS
Carmel Valley Ca

st7860
09-27-2003, 12:22 PM
1 . People often start things at 99 cents on ebay even for $5,000 items. its very normal. They do it to save the $3 fee. because starting an auction at $9.99 or less is only 30 cents.

2 . Dont get so hyper about the money order or western union thing. there's a lot of people that will take only western union or money order on anything around $3,000. most experienced people wont use paypal for something of that amount

3. there's a lot of fake escrow companies etc out there too. If you cant afford to take the risk of losing the $3,000, dont even bother bidding on ebay for the segway. never mind the feedbacks and phone numbers. any idiot can make lots of feedback for himself.

stuart
09-27-2003, 03:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by st7860

1 . People often start things at 99 cents on ebay even for $5,000 items. its very normal. They do it to save the $3 fee. because starting an auction at $9.99 or less is only 30 cents.

2 . Dont get so hyper about the money order or western union thing. there's a lot of people that will take only western union or money order on anything around $3,000. most experienced people wont use paypal for something of that amount

3. there's a lot of fake escrow companies etc out there too. If you cant afford to take the risk of losing the $3,000, dont even bother bidding on ebay for the segway. never mind the feedbacks and phone numbers. any idiot can make lots of feedback for himself.

Well, I'm glad we had an expert chime in here (all sarcasm intended). I've used EBay for quite some time now and would never send someone $3000 unless they agreed to use an escrow company (escrow.com is a good, legitimate one). As far as Paypal goes, they don't really offer any protection of their own but the advantage is that you can use your credit card. If you're ripped off you can file a fraud complaint and likely get your money back. I do agree that feedback can be misleading.

Stuart

manulamb
09-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Stuart,
I was in touh with the same woman from Berlin, calling herself "Margaret Wolf" and I was suspicious from the very first minute. She claims that she is "too old for the Segway", yet has a flashy page on Ebay ... this got me suspicous from the first minute. When I insisted on working through Escrow.com instead of Western Union (as she proposed), she stopped responding to my e-mails. This is a scam for sure. I reported it to eBay.
Emmanuel

stuart
09-30-2003, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by manulamb

Stuart,
I was in touh with the same woman from Berlin, calling herself "Margaret Wolf" and I was suspicious from the very first minute. She claims that she is "too old for the Segway", yet has a flashy page on Ebay ... this got me suspicous from the first minute. When I insisted on working through Escrow.com instead of Western Union (as she proposed), she stopped responding to my e-mails. This is a scam for sure. I reported it to eBay.
Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel,

Exactly what she did to me. It's scary and a little frustrating to think of how many people may be scammed by these people.

Stuart

Sal
09-30-2003, 07:30 PM
I know for a fact that NIKINAX is a legit seller of Segways on eBay. She knows a dealer at JM Lexus.

Thanks,
Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Answers that Matter
www.lilly.com

cyberclone
10-01-2003, 09:30 AM
The "bank holding time" that dontines set himself is now up. I now consider it an OFFICIAL FRAUD. Time for some action!! Time to go after the non existent person!! Wish me luck, I will need it!!!

gotseg
10-01-2003, 04:29 PM
GET THE ****** FRAUD!

gotseg?

cyberclone
10-03-2003, 06:49 PM
He started another auction. I left Negative Feedback. Where is eBay while this is going on??

cyberclone
10-08-2003, 07:50 PM
I am pursuing legal remedies and would like to contact other people who have been taken by dontines. Must be from California, the other states can't join me. But we can share info that we find. Will eBay Fraud give me the other winning bidders of the other Segway sales, yea, RIGHT? Contact me for details.

Desertrat_ps
10-11-2003, 01:10 AM
Ebay has suspended dontines

cyberclone
10-17-2003, 04:36 PM
I have just returned from several days in Phoenix on a learning trip. I learned that the Phoenix Police will just refer you to the AZ Attorney General or the Internet Fraud Unit Online of the FBI. If you visit the Attorney General's Office they will not come down and meet you. You have to submit their form and wait 4 to 6 weeks to be assigned an investigation number. Bank of America won't tell you anything because he is their client. Our doing a stake out went like this....... I bought a long tube from Wal-Mart. It actually was a plastic golf club holder. I placed an old poster in it, Corvette I think. Then taped a note on the outside saying "Thanks for Everything!!" The plan was to follow him when he came out of the Mail Boxes Etc. Store and get his license plate and maybe follow him home and get an address of a real live person as the tube does stand out. After a full day and no sight of him I called the Mail Boxes Etc. Store and asked if he had been in that day. I was told that he rarely shows up as most of his stuff was forwarded to other addresses. When I complained about the fraud they told me that my best bet was to contact the United States Postal Inspector. This was the best thing that I learned. The U.S. Postal Service has authority over not only the U.S. Postal Services Post Office Boxes but also private P.O. Boxes like Mail Boxes Etc.!! I am now filing a lawsuit and waiting to hear from the U.S. Postal Inspector, Arizona Attorney General, the FBI, Bank of America investigation, Ebay Fraud, Phoenix Police, Qwest, several other private sources, God, Karma, and the Yin & Yang of the universe. He had to give someone a real live name and real live information at some point. Thanks to everyone for your help and support. It will get resolved, maybe not in my lifetime but at some point in time, someday. Thanks!!

P.S. I have not given up on buying things on eBay, I just purchased a Powered Paraglider and received notice of the FedEx tracking number. The Powered Paraglider costs about twice as much as a Segway and everything went smooth as usual!!

redhummer
10-19-2003, 03:20 AM
That sound likethe same guy that I have been emailing about also, Berlin Germany. He offered to sell it to me too for $2500, new in the box, never opened and he won it. One email he tells me he has it and has not opened, and in an other email he tells me that Segway is waiting on him to give the shipping address of where to send it to. He will only take money via Western Union, no Escrow. Told me that I can send the money in some friend's name and once he sees that the money is listed, he will send it, then once I have it, I am to contact WU and give them a new contact name. But all it takes is a fake ID card in your friends name and he got the cash, and now way to trace him back.

It is by approved bidders, because he is not taking bids because those he scams can not give him bad feedback, cause you will never be able to even bid on the item.

EBay ID Oldemller , email address peter_k@earthlink.net, name Peter Kendall

Second one that I got was from Jason Tery - jason_tery@yahoo.com, EBay ID ume-anders, just about the same deal and will only accept Western Union, Location France.

Allan

Is this legit??
I'm not sure cause i email him because you have to be pre-approved and he emailed me back and said "......the bike....." and it is being shipped from Berlin, Germany he said.

M.P.

Allan Madar
Houston TX 77070

stuart
10-19-2003, 11:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by redhummer

That sound likethe same guy that I have been emailing about also, Berlin Germany. He offered to sell it to me too for $2500, new in the box, never opened and he won it. One email he tells me he has it and has not opened, and in an other email he tells me that Segway is waiting on him to give the shipping address of where to send it to. He will only take money via Western Union, no Escrow. Told me that I can send the money in some friend's name and once he sees that the money is listed, he will send it, then once I have it, I am to contact WU and give them a new contact name. But all it takes is a fake ID card in your friends name and he got the cash, and now way to trace him back.

It is by approved bidders, because he is not taking bids because those he scams can not give him bad feedback, cause you will never be able to even bid on the item.

EBay ID Oldemller , email address peter_k@earthlink.net, name Peter Kendall

Second one that I got was from Jason Tery - jason_tery@yahoo.com, EBay ID ume-anders, just about the same deal and will only accept Western Union, Location France.

Allan

Is this legit??

M.P.

Allan Madar
Houston TX 77070

Hi Allan,

I don't think it's dontines but another person who's running a scam on eBay. See this thread:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5701

Stuart

gotseg
10-29-2003, 06:13 PM
New scam!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3634656590&category=22703
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3634657807&category=22703

"Item will ship directly from our storage facility so no COD, Escrow, or pick-ups.These Terms will not change under any circumstance, No Acceptions"

"I have more of these Segways Available. You can purchase for $2800 per unit and free overnight shipping "

zero feedback and hidden bidders. 100% scam seems like to me!

gotseg?

stuart
10-29-2003, 07:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by gotseg

New scam!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3634656590&category=22703
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3634657807&category=22703

"Item will ship directly from our storage facility so no COD, Escrow, or pick-ups.These Terms will not change under any circumstance, No Acceptions"

"I have more of these Segways Available. You can purchase for $2800 per unit and free overnight shipping "

zero feedback and hidden bidders. 100% scam seems like to me!

gotseg?

It's funny... I still don't understand why shipping directly from their facility precludes using an escrow service.

If I thought this joker really had more units at $2800 each I'd buy 10 and make myself a quick $7k.

Stuart

gotseg
10-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Sad thing is that he has a few bidders on each auction who probably have no idea.

gotseg?

stuart
10-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Here's one I'm not sure about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3634957223&category=22703

I asked the following questions. Seller's answers are in italic after:

1) Would you have any objections to using an escrow company for this
transaction?
yes I would, only because I have gotten burned in the past, and I prefer
to do it cash yup front.
2) The Segway sells brand new on Amazong for $4495. You have the buy it now
price as $4500. Is that correct?
It is correct, I actually meant to make it 4450.00, it is a typo. I will
sell it to you for that if you want.
3) You state the weight of the Segway to be 210 lbs. The Segway itself only
weighs 83lbs (according to Segway's site). Where does the extra weight come
from??
That is the weight the packing label has on it that came with the box.

What are everyone's thoughts? I don't understand why the person wouldn't want to use an escrow service if they've been burned in the past. That seems to be the most solid way of doing a transaction (if not a little more expensive).

And 210 lbs for the delivery?? Does anyone remember the packing label on their Segway saying that??

Stuart

gotseg
10-31-2003, 08:32 AM
I asked this seller if he could tell me where he bought his segways from:
quote:you want to know that..so listen..this segways i receive for UK guvern...you know...so i told you to much...if you want to buy reply me.
Thanks

in chat terms: ROTFL

gotseg?

mnsegway
11-13-2003, 04:42 PM
RAVE Rochester Alternative Vehicle Enterprises the Segway dealer in Rochester Minnesota is selling New in Box Segway i Series for $3950. Call them at 1-800-450-7105

Tanasit
12-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Check this one out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3642659031&category=7298

Also note that even though you can use your credit card on PayPal but they have a special agreement with the credit card companies so you will NOT be protected and lose your money like I did on PayPal Ebay!!
To confirm this you can call your credit card company of your choice.

wheels
12-04-2003, 03:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tanasit

Also note that even though you can use your credit card on PayPal but they have a special agreement with the credit card companies so you will NOT be protected and lose your money like I did on PayPal Ebay!!

After reading the above, I called "Discover Card". The representative
informed me that internet (including "PayPal") purchases are equally protected as any other purchase via withheld payment when disputed.
To really be sure I requested transfer to a supervisor who confirmed what I had previously had been told.

"Life's a wheelie when you're on a Segway"

stuart
12-08-2003, 02:41 AM

Check this one out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3642659031&category=7298

My recommendation is to always go through an escrow company for purchases like these. If not, use Paypal, it might not be a lot of protection but I can promise you if you send cash (cashier's check, money order) to someone, you are going to get ripped off 9 times out of 10 (OK, maybe 8 of 10).

Stuart

Tanasit
12-10-2003, 11:10 PM
I'll make the story short. Believable story listing with in house pictures and ....ready for this....even created a FAKE shipping website called www.usship.biz which when I entered the tracking # he sent me, the site showed all the appropriated information. However, the red flag were the item content indicated (unsual to explain what's in the box), and the destination only contained my name but no address and there were no contact phone number on the site. The site even updated the shipping status (where was the package at what time etc.)but went dead in a couple days! Luckily PayPal reversed the transaction in time. Wheww...
PS. I did post this before but I think this is the proper location, sorry.

stuart
12-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Glad you didn't get stung Tanasit!

Stuart

Tanasit
12-12-2003, 04:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by wheels

[quote]Originally posted by Tanasit

informed me that internet (including "PayPal") purchases are equally protected as any other purchase via withheld payment when disputed.
To really be sure I requested transfer to a supervisor who confirmed what I had previously had been told.

Well, I called Discover again and they said PayPal is the "only" exception from the protection. In fact, several months ago I did dispute with PayPal and received a letter from Discover that they couldn't do anything with PayPal transaction!!

oldnixie
12-12-2003, 02:09 PM

Well, I called Discover again and they said PayPal is the "only" exception from the protection. In fact, several months ago I did dispute with PayPal and received a letter from Discover that they couldn't do anything with PayPal transaction!!
[/quote]
--------

(my first post, though I've been lurking for a few weeks after buying a used I series a month ago.)

Paypal is even more dangerous:

Remember when you provided your bank account number to paypal, and signed off on that hefty "shrink wrap" user aggreement?

Well, if you contest a transaction made using your credit card, and Visa/Mastercard/Discover credit you for it, PayPal WILL immediately withdraw the funds from your account to cover that transaction.
Even if you were a long time PayPal member and didn't originally sing off on this little "jewel" originally, it was embedded in the amendment that you had to accept in order to continue using paypal a few months back.

Bottom line: know the seller before sending your money.
I am a retailer, and am very aware of the PayPal security problems for both a seller and a buyer.

Jeff

sailboss
12-19-2003, 12:05 AM
I just bought a used "I" through E-bay. i called and arranged to pick up the unit and gave him a cashier's check. Other than the drive to get it (300 miles one-way), the deal was a success!

I would recommend escrow, or in-person only. I got a little concerned over a disparity in phone number versus location, but I found a legit business listing.

Got a good, normally used (the kickstand is broken...duh!) unit for $3200 and didn't pay sales tax, shipping or any other fees.