PDA

View Full Version : The 1st Bay Area SEG Meeting- Sept 20!

Sleepy
09-03-2003, 03:13 PM
To keep the momentum rolling from SegwayFest, a few of us in the San Francisco Bay Area would like to hold our first Bay Area Segway Enthusiasts Group meeting at 10am on Saturday, September 20, at Woodside High School.
This coincides with the 2003 US FIRST California Games:
http://www.wrrf.org/Calgames/eventinfo.php
http://www.wrrf.org/Calgames/2003%20WRRF%20EVENT%20FLYER.pdf

They'll have an area reserved for us at the competition, as well as a charging strip.

Agenda:
1) Organize the Golden Gate Glide-- set date and collect info
2) Brainstorm new group glide ideas
3) Give demos for FIRST attendees (liability waivers will be available)
4) Have fun at the competition!

Please post here and/or private e-mail me if you're interested in attending.

-Alex

Neelix
09-13-2003, 03:02 AM
Dad and I will for sure be there!

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

stevew
09-13-2003, 04:31 AM
I'll be there for sure, got to get that great chi-ca-go feeling again! i.e. as many folks on Segs as possible!

stuart
09-16-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm gonna do my best to be there. Looking forward to it!

Stuart

jbauer
09-16-2003, 01:22 PM
I'll be there with bel... er, wheels on.

- Jon

Stewbonz
09-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Wish we could make it but we are having a garage sale on Sat AM. I'll do my best to come to the next meet. Have fun.

JEFF JARVIS
Carmel Valley Ca

Sleepy
09-16-2003, 08:49 PM
I haven't worked out the details of where exactly we'll meet. But hopefully it'll be obvious-- somewhere in the gym. I'm going to scout out the venue on Friday. So I'll post details Friday night.

The demo situation is still a bit shakey. Waivers may or may not be available depending on some legal issues. So demos may be at the discretion of us owners... more about that on Saturday.

For those of you who have never been to a FIRST competition, they're a lot of fun! Look for my team-- 258... go Sea Dawgs!

Jeff, I'll keep you posted. The next meeting will hopefully be a group glide over the Golden Gate.

-Alex

Sleepy
09-20-2003, 12:44 AM
Update:
stevew and I checked out the FIRST event tonight.
We're going to be under a blue e-z-up tent next to the pit area. We're next to the upper gym. The main gym where the playing field is located is on a lower level. I'll have short cones set up next to the tent. So it'll be tough to miss.

The regular competition starts at 9am. But we won't start our meeting until 10am.

The plan is to glide to lunch sometime around 11:30 or so.
Whoever is willing can give demos after lunch. I'll have a stack of liability waivers that the event organizers would like us to require to be signed prior to demos on the high school campus.

-Alex

Neelix
09-21-2003, 12:56 AM
Super event, Alex. Dad and I had a great time. Pictures will be online soon, and at the next meeting, if there is demand for it (the video, not the meeting), we can bring a video tape.

Speaking of pictures, I have to get Chicago pictures online, too....

Had a blast giving demos, thanks Steve!

Jon, Stuart, it was super meeting you!

Hopefully at the next one we'll coerce Dad into riding. =)

Bucks was good, too! Neat atmosphere. I'll have to remember to bring my laptop if I ever go there in the future.

Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

stuart
09-21-2003, 02:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Neelix

Super event, Alex. Dad and I had a great time. Pictures will be online soon, and at the next meeting, if there is demand for it (the video, not the meeting), we can bring a video tape.

Speaking of pictures, I have to get Chicago pictures online, too....

Had a blast giving demos, thanks Steve!

Jon, Stuart, it was super meeting you!

Hopefully at the next one we'll coerce Dad into riding. =)

Bucks was good, too! Neat atmosphere. I'll have to remember to bring my laptop if I ever go there in the future.

Chris Knight

I had a great time too. Really nice meeting everyone. I look forward to the next meeting/event.

Alex, any idea of how many demos we did?

Take care,
Stuart

Sleepy
09-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks to stevew, neelix, neelix's Dad, jbauer, and stuart for making our first Bay Area SEG meeting really successful! We did approximately 175 demos on Saturday!
I got a lot of nice comments from attendees of the FIRST competition thanking us for bringing our personal Segs to the event.

...and to top it all off, my team won the competition! :)
The only bummer was that someone stepped on my Seg while it was charging and broke my kickstand-- just 2 days after I installed a new one! Oh well, c'est la vie.

I'm really looking forward to our next meeting.

Peter, sorry you couldn't make it. I hope you can make it to the next event.

-Alex

Neelix
09-21-2003, 11:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sleepy

...and to top it all off, my team won the competition! :)

-Alex

I told Dad that we should have stayed! ;)

Sucks that someone broke your kickstand. Do people not care about, "Please don't touch" signs or what?

Chris Knight

Sleepy
09-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey Chris, I was ready to leave myself. It really dragged on a long time. Steve stayed till the end. But the sun had set by the time everything was over.
I was so nervous between matches in the semifinals and finals that I had to go outside the gym and pace around on my Seg :)

If it was my first kickstand it wouldn't be so bad. But I had *just* received my 1-free kickstand from Segway after breaking my stand last week. So this next one's coming out of my pocket.

BTW-- when I got to my Seg, the "Charging, please do not touch" sign was no longer on my platform, but was face-down on the pavement.

-Alex

Neelix
09-22-2003, 12:45 AM
http://ahcapaper.homestead.com/files/jpg_images/BayAreaSeg/MVC-578F.JPG

That, my friends, is history in action! The FIRST Bay Area SEG meeting. Clockwise from the top: Stuart, Alex, me, Steve, and Jon (and behind the camera is my dad =)).

I'll have more pictures up in a bit. Have to make a web page and put them up with some captions. Just wanted to give all y'all a little teaser =).

Chris Knight

Neelix
09-22-2003, 01:21 AM
http://ahcapaper.homestead.com/Bayareaseg.html

Pictures from the first ever Bay Area SEG meeting!

Chris Knight

stevew
09-22-2003, 04:06 AM
what a motley crew!, i'm so glad we glid up to Bucks, the nexus of venture capital on the left coast. Back at the venue I almost wept when i saw these young future technologists high five each other on winning the california games with their creations for this year's FIRST challenge. Thanks Sleepy for picking a really cool venue for our first BayAreaSeg meeting!

jbauer
09-22-2003, 02:21 PM
Yes, again - was great to hang out with y'all. Sleepy was right - we were like a gaggle of ducks gliding down the street. All in single file and following the mamma duck... Not that you resemble a mamma Steve... You know what I mean...! :-)

- Jon