PDA

View Full Version : One More Gary Bridge Revelation

dupa
09-05-2002, 08:33 PM
I'm assuming most here have read the Gary bridge interview I did at TIQ last month. He is a marking guy for Segway who came from IBM.
One more item I forgot or chose not to mention.

He was very excited about the US Postal Service account. He said they orginally had a plan where they would buy say 50 or 100 Segways, then maybe six months later 500, then later on 5000. I don't remember how many jumps there were to get to the 5000 order or when it was supposed to happen, but he indicated that after the success they've had with the initial small order, he felt they were going to jump right up to the 5000 unit order very soon.

baantjer
09-05-2002, 08:47 PM
That would indeed be a significant order: $25,000,000 - $50,000,000!

That is not a good reason for Poulin to leave. Strange.

Casey
09-05-2002, 09:06 PM
You're right that you didn't mention that. It's contrary to what some people are saying. Which is that it looked like the PO hadn't made any commitment to purchase any. It is good to see that they intend to buy that many Segways. That is what the person calling herself Helen Hayes had told me last November. I thought maybe it had fallen through for some reason.

Frank

charmed
09-06-2002, 06:40 AM
Hello, Dupa

Whoa. That's a big revelation. I can't help but have the impression that Bridge is using you (not saying in a bad way) for as a conduit for a guerilla marketing campaign. If this order for 5000 units went through, the road to profitability would seem nicely paved.

Your original posts regarding your impromptu chat with Gary Bridge were big news, IMO, and didn't receive the attention that they deserved.

And now this. What else are you holding back? Any chance of getting one of your contacts at Segway to pay www.SegwayChat.com a friendly visit?

Charmed

dupa
09-06-2002, 10:19 AM
Charmed, that is the biggest thing I left out. I felt if I leaked it, it might hurt the chances of it happening. I'm still concerned. However, I also want to help promote Segway, and this is positive news. It's also a signifigant item to release here, at this great new site. One of my ways of saying thanks to the people who put it together. I will continually post some of my new finds here.

I'll be approaching Segway soon for the Cable show, and I'll take a few questions from people here, that I will ask in their names, so they can see it later. Will that be cool or what?

n/a
09-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Dupa I appreciate u dropping one of the biggest "bombs" on here. It is good for discussion and traffic. How bout posting the whole of your Bridge discussion here for reference?

BTW welcome to Segwaychat. It is a real pleasure to be able to discuss without having to get into a brawl in every other posting.

Antagony
09-06-2002, 06:35 PM
quote:I don't remember how many jumps there were to get to the 5000 order or when it was supposed to happen, but he indicated that after the success they've had with the initial small order, he felt they were going to jump right up to the 5000 unit order very soon.

So a Segway guy has a good feeling about a big sale. That is fine for keeping up the hope of Segway enthusiasts but a statement like this surely cannot be considered to have any substance in light of the press they have received about sluggish sales. Hopefully they can do better than leak rumours about their gut feelings.

dupa
09-08-2002, 07:08 AM
Antagony feels that Gary Bridges prediction of 5000 Segway sales to USPS has no substance. If it were an unsubstantiated rumor, I might agree. But coming from the head of Segway marketing, I think most reasonable people would agree that carries a little weight, not a done deal, but certainly worth paying attention to. Does Antagony believe the press always gets things right?

charmed
09-08-2002, 08:42 AM
Hi, Dupa

any chance of you re-posting the rest of the info from your interview with Gary Bridge?

It was great stuff.

n/a
09-08-2002, 08:56 AM
Dupa, some of us would like to place in our confidence in in Bridge, but apparently Bride is not confidnet enough in the big sale to announce it to the press. Here is the most recent "response" from Tobe Cohen, director of marketing at Segway with regard to sales:

quote:He would not say how many Segways have rolled out of the production plant in New Hampshire.

They apparently cant boast about sales or production figures at this point.

charmed
09-08-2002, 09:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

Dupa, some of us would like to place in our confidence in in Bridge, but apparently Bride is not confidnet enough in the big sale to announce it to the press. Here is the most recent "response" from Tobe Cohen, director of marketing at Segway with regard to sales:

quote:He would not say how many Segways have rolled out of the production plant in New Hampshire.

They apparently cant boast about sales or production figures at this point.

Can't, or won't? I have a strong sense that no matter the sales figures, there might be some benefit for Segway to downplay large sales. With the legislative efforts coming more and more into the foreground, it might not be such a bad thing to let the critics rail on about how there is no market for the device, about how it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, etc. It is hard to instill fear in sidewalk pedestrians about a product that many have proclaimed
DOA. I think this plays into the lobbyist's hands, and if nothing else encourages the thought that any change's Segway heralds to the transportation infrastructure will be undramatic and not likely to effect most people....therefore, what's to fear?

On the other hand, maybe the sales figures truly are dismal. If this is the case, and the 5000 units Bridge refers to in his conversation with Dupa does not pan out, it will be a pretty bad sign. Segway has in part used the internet message boards to get it's message out. This particular quote, as well as other's in Dupa's interview, are some of the biggest bits of info since the reveal, IMO. I suspect there is reason to believe that the info is pretty accurate.

Hope I'm not wrong.

n/a
09-08-2002, 09:44 AM
quote:I suspect there is reason to believe that the info is pretty accurate.

I dont disagree that Dupa's info is accurate as far as it goes, but Bride's statements are rather fuzzy. He hopes the price of Segway will come down to $1300, but doesnt say when. He feels there will be a big sale to the USPO. But if their strategy is to "play dead" in order not to alarm the oppositons, then why are they trying to give the impresson that sales are going well. In one interview Kamen boasted about having sold thousands recently and he as announced his vision about Segway replacing cars over and over. If the strategy is to hide the success of Segway sales, they are sending out a very mixed message.

charmed
09-08-2002, 10:00 AM
I agree, it's a mixed message. But it is also a very subtle one. I think they may be trying to seek a balance by having a little something for everyone. Fuzzy. That's a good word.

It is very much on the back burner of most people's minds, except the aficionados and bashers. Still, when I mention it to acquainences, Segway is but a hazy memory and most are not exactly sure what it is, and have no clue regarding the fight over the sidewalks, etc. More or less akin to fuel cells and other new ideas not yet in the consumer world.

I don't know what their plan is, I just suspect there is something to all the caginess regarding price, sales, and consumer availability. I think it is interesting that Bridge chose Dupa as a conduit for all the new info, and not one of the many reporters he speaks to on a regular basis. He knew the message would go out to the dedicated followers, and lead to much speculation and further scrutiny by those that scrutinize the hardest. If he is just expressing wishful thinking, he will lose some serious credibility, especially after Kamen's references to positive sales numbers.

Seg-wager
09-08-2002, 11:15 AM
I agree with the can't or won't? call--as long as it's still going through legislation. I'm glad my state shows up on the green for go ahead side of the map, but don't see my area as an initial target for sales. I will have to follow this pretty closely to see what opportunities for Segway become available in this area, & when it comes within price range. (>$3k, not much more) I would like to use the Segway to replace car trips to the grocery store, since it's within 2 miles.

n/a
09-08-2002, 12:30 PM
quote:I agree with the can't or won't?

I think can't would be the best guess. Segway and others told us about adapting Segways to military applications and for special forces applications. Surely that stuff has to be partially kept under wraps for a while. I find it hard to believe that they would deliberatley downplay sales figures though, to lull legislators and anti Segway groups into a sedate attitude. I wont discount that they may have to try to walk on a fine line though.

Newman
09-08-2002, 06:30 PM
Don't believe you want to downplay sales figures. Usually you want to put the most rosy face on sales like, "Oh yeah, going good, we can't keep up with the demand."

BUT, if you have a Ace up your sleeve, then that doesn't matter as much what the public perceives. Kamen has the right idea with the Post Office and other federal and state organizations. They are the big teat. They don't run out of money and a segway is cheaper than a toilet seat to the pentagon. You have to put it all in perspective you know.

To Infinity and Beyond!