PDA

View Full Version : Issue Resolved, Kudos to Segway LLC's IT Dept.

opti6600
08-22-2003, 09:59 PM
In a recent move that resounds more of an AOL Time Warner escapade ( as reported on slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/13/2215207&mode=thread&tid=120) ) than something our Good Friends(TM) at Segway LLC would do, the Segway LLC email server today began blocking all mail inbound from dynamic IP addresses.

What's a dynamic IP address and what does it matter to me? Well, a dynamic IP address is the type you get from your DSL or cable internet provider each time you connect (it changes every time you connect to the Net). Now this is important because if you're running an email server from home, like myself and wavelengths, you'll find yourself incapable of communicating with Segway LLC through your server! I discovered this today when they apparently enabled a new spam- and virus-filter that happened to block all dynamic addresses! It should also be known that blocking IP addresses on a public email server is contrary to the applicable RFCs, which are common standards which are agreed upon to make the Web a Better Place.

Now one might say, well, hmm, isn't this the only way to protect our company, and Segway protecting its company from viruses like SoBig.F? The answer is no, all they're doing by blocking dynamic IP addresses is defending themselves against renegade groups of alternative energy student hackers (how evil we can be, cough). The most commonly accepted solution for virus protection is known as a "gateway", which scans messages for viruses as they pass into the network, a -much- more secure method than what is implemented through this blocking, also known as a "blacklisting" - which doesn't scan, but simply prohibits emails from coming in from home users, whereas an infected company could just as easily pass on infections like SoBig.F.

Segway, I'm calling on you to do the Right Thing here and get your IT department in line. This might be the cheapest, shortest-term solution to a few spam and virus problems, but you're certainly not making me, a customer, any happier. Nor does this shine a great light upon your customer relations - blocking home users who use their own servers at home to communicate via e-mail.

As I said in the opening, Segway isn't the only company to have done this, but I'll say that I don't easily throw LLC into the pile of companies like AOL and kin. This isn't the proper way to handle antivirus or spam-blocking in email, and it doesn't get brownie points from the technophiles over in my camp.

So to both Segway and any of you whose companies use similar blocking schemes, this particular band of renegade alternative energy "hackers" would be quite happy if you got into line with the standards, stopped making your customer's lives a circus show of circumvention, and open up your mail servers to the world again.

Waiting to see the day when I don't get a 553 from LLC,
Jordan Prevé

---------
Let's just take the safety labels off of everything and let America's problem sort itself out.

opti6600
08-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Just to clarify, folks, this isn't intended to be inflammatory, but rather an informative piece and a request to Segway should someone reach this before my emails reach the proper recipient within the organization.

This is a major issue on the net for grassroots mail users at the moment, and its importance shouldn't be overlooked.

---------
Segway LLC is blocking the servers of home users... read on... (http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4931)

ftropea
08-23-2003, 12:19 AM
This is probably over the head of many of our regular members.. But I hear 'ya.

Basically, I think Segway LLC would be doing the right thing by blocking emails from 'at home' type mail servers.. where you might find spam/virus attacks.. and where it's harder to hold someone accountable. They're a small company..

As long as you're still able to email them through an established mail server, I think it's cool...

Segway does a great job from top to bottom.. from sales to IT.

Let's be realistic.. How many people here are really impacted by this? I bet not many.. So in the big scheme of things, it's a smart move by Segway.. and in my opinion, totally understandable considering the recent problems with with the soBig virus and its like (worms).

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

opti6600
08-23-2003, 12:40 AM
I'll first lead in with a quote from RFC2821 on the SMTP protocol:

Any system that includes an SMTP server supporting mail relaying or delivery MUST support the reserved mailbox "postmaster" as a case-insensitive local name. This postmaster address is not strictly necessary if the server always returns 554 on connection opening (as described in section 3.1). The requirement to accept mail for postmaster implies that RCPT commands which specify a mailbox for postmaster at any of the domains for which the SMTP server provides mail service, as well as the special case of "RCPT TO:" (with no domain specification), MUST be supported.

SMTP systems are expected to make every reasonable effort to accept mail directed to Postmaster from any other system on the Internet. In extreme cases --such as to contain a denial of service attack or other breach of security-- an SMTP server may block mail directed to Postmaster. However, such arrangements SHOULD be narrowly tailored so as to avoid blocking messages which are not part of such attacks.

After following up to the standard "postmaster@segway.com" address, an address by which Segway should have available for ANY contact from the outside, I received the same blocking information.

While this isn't the End of the World According to the RFC, this isn't a good thing on the part of Segway. While they don't give an entirely bogus SMTP code or just flip out on the protocol like AOL has shown to do really well, I can't even get email into the postmaster address from a WLJ account.

I'm off to email the postmaster from my BellSouth account, resend the email, and make a note of the glitch in this. More to come...

By the way, if anybody has any suggestions here, field em, by all means.

---------
Segway LLC is blocking the servers of home users... read on... (http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4931)

opti6600
08-23-2003, 12:50 AM
Lo and behold, when submitted through my ISP email account, the message to postmaster@segway.com went through flawlessly.

It seems as though now, instead of using DEKA Research's SMTP server, Segway LLC now outsources its email accounts, or at least proxies through, a company call MessageLabs, which provides "Complete peace of mind from complete email security".

Oh well, so I have a feeling as always, it's going to be stepping around a giant bloody obstacle in the name of Internet Security (better than Terrorism, at least).

*goes off to find somebody with a t-1 and willingness to setup a smarthost in their office*

---------

opti6600
08-23-2003, 11:29 AM
!#$!#!@$!!

Yeah...looks like this dangerous alternative energy virus-writer is going to go find himself a static IP.

---------

toybuilder
08-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Heh. And people laugh at me for "overpaying" on my DSL to get a good backbone, static IP, and good network management+support... Requiring a valid, static MX is reasonable, IMO. Of course, I used to be a network admin, so I would say that... :)

http://www.pasadenasegway.org/

See you all at SegFest 2003! (August 29.)
Register now at www.segwayfest.com