PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted email

X-man
08-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Found this a portion of a mailing from my box this morning . You all know of this particular scam and seeing that this is the only place I use x-man as a pseudonym, it's apparent where it's coming from.

Hello X-man
>
> You received the following message from: alfred_kojo
> (alfred_kojo@mail15.com)
>
> At: http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/
>
> FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPARTMENT. UNION TOGOLAISE DE BANQUE
> LOME-TOGO.
>
> Dear friend,
> I am Mr.Alfred Kojo, the director in charge of auditing and accounting
> section of Union Togolaise De Banque Lome-Togo in West Africa with due
> respect and regard. I have decided to contact you on a business
> transaction that will be very beneficial to both of us at the end of the
> transaction .

and so on.

The Lone Glider! :)

lipinsky
08-18-2003, 09:44 AM
You are lucky! You have the opportunity to receive $26,000,000 just as a convenience fee. (see www.scamorama.com)

PS. This is called a 419 Scan or an advanced fee fraud.

gotseg
08-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Oh darn, I was looking to buy a few things (ht) with that money!

gotseg?

Deviant
08-18-2003, 09:52 AM
I received it as well. We have been compromised. I suspect that anyone who did not receive it must have an ISP using spamcop or the like. I never knew what spamcop was until I was informed that my good email was being blocked because it came from an ISP used by a spammer. So, I had it turned off on my account, rather than lose good email.

Stewbonz
08-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Response;
Your email has been fowarded to the FBI,CIA and POLICE.

JEFF JARVIS
Carmel Valley Ca

opti6600
08-18-2003, 10:54 AM
It's a classic Nigerian spam email. I guess they just used a bot last night to auto-email everybody.

---------
Let's just take the safety labels off of everything and let America's problem sort itself out.

Lohja
08-18-2003, 11:12 AM
I actually know someone who fell for this scam--even after he was warned by some of his friends. It ended-up costing him $15,000. It's really a lot worse than that; but I'll spare you the details. Someone in poor financial shape will be desperate enough to fall for it.

ftropea
08-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Not so sophisticated.. We have not been compromised.

Someone created a SegwayChat account and began emailing members individually through their profiles. About 60 emails sent before I locked it down (about 1,300 of you were spared!). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please be aware that your email addresses are NOT shared here on SegwayChat. They are hidden in your profile as well. If someone sends you a note, it happens through my mail server and the sender is never made aware of your actual email address. If you reply to that email, you are then making the sender aware of your actual email address. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, you have the option of opting out of the email feature. Go to your profile and select NO for emails. That means that no SegwayChat member will be able to contact you.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

[/sc] Admin - "Keep your wheels on the ground!" - Contact Me (segwaychat@segwaychat.com)

segwayowner
08-18-2003, 02:05 PM
i got that too. i'm happy its over tho.

DES: Segway owner

larryKay
08-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Gee, I got this by fax a few years ago on an official letterhead. He asked me to call on his personal cell phone....
Since I was one of the first..........
;)Happy to report that I got 14 million dollars.....LOL[}:)]

Larry

ElectraGlide
08-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey X Man...I got the same E Mail , I've already quit my job since I wont need to work anymore, and I've financed a few new luxury cars, boats, houses, and toys until the money arrives. They wouldn't have sent that letter if it wasn't all true !!! Right ?? Boy, they sure are nice contacting me and planning to give me all that cash !!!!

Steve

RWC
08-18-2003, 08:59 PM
My cousin is the Assistant Adjunct Derectorate Secratary of Nigeria. Part of his job is to handle just this sor t of thing!

I recommend you go to this site if you are interested in learning about the great new opportunities in Nigeria:
http://j-walk.com/other/conf/

Lean forward, R.

"The best way to control your cow or sheep is to give them a large spacious meadow... and a Segway with all-terrain tires" - Suzuki Ralphi