PDA

View Full Version : Kamen seeks $3 billion to fund Stirling

GyroGo
08-07-2003, 12:28 PM
FORTUNE's Brainstorm 2003 conference
http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastforward/0,15704,473479,00.html

. . SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) . .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

Seeker
08-09-2003, 02:34 AM
$3 billion...wow that's a huge amount !! So obviously he still has intensions to press on, full steam ahead, with the Stirling project. I wonder if Kamen has any prospective investors and partners lined up, who are already committed to this project. Might there be some way that he could demonstrate the feasibility of this project for 3rd world markets, by undertaking some sort of small scale 'pilot project', first of all ?
Seeker

GyroGo
08-09-2003, 08:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by Seeker

$3 billion...wow that's a huge amount !! So obviously he still has intensions to press on, full steam ahead, with the Stirling project. I wonder if Kamen has any prospective investors and partners lined up, who are already committed to this project. Might there be some way that he could demonstrate the feasibility of this project for 3rd world markets, by undertaking some sort of small scale 'pilot project', first of all ?
Seeker

The way I interpret the very limited information in the article is that the $3B will allow it to be produced in mass volume and will keep prices reasonable. Otherwise, it will cost more and perhaps not be the clear choice as the economical solution??

. . SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) . .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

Seeker
08-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Yes that definitely makes sense, that large scale production would be necessary, in order to achieve economies of scale. I was thinking about feasibility, in terms of demonstrating on a small scale that the generation of electricity, and production of clean water, could take place in 3rd world communities, in such a way that the benefits to the health and standard of living of the people living in those communities, could be seen to justify the financial investment.

I wonder what kind of 'pilot project' could be set up, in order to yield results that would impress potential investors that this technology does what it aims to do, and has a clear advantage over any competing technologies which could be utilized.

Does anyone know, what venues has Dean Kamen been using recently, as a platform, from which to make people aware of his goals of bringing Stirling technology to the 3rd world ?

Seeker

Stewbonz
08-09-2003, 12:10 PM
I am here to offer my services to Dean Kamen and his Sterling project.
We live in Thailand for 6 months per year and I believe that would be a perfect place to run a test program for the Sterling. I am married to a Chinese-Thai with good connections in business and education. My brother in law runs the Industrial Technology division at Bangkok Technical College. His students design and run factories.
Presently we have an injection molding business with distribution thruout the country.
Loads of skilled workers may make it a good spot to Mfg and test the Sterling technology.

JEFF JARVIS
Carmel Valley Ca

Stan
11-07-2003, 09:58 PM
$3 Billion is very serious money. Even gov't funding for such a 'flyer' would be virtually impossible with out some very real convincing demonstration working models of the proposed product.
I wish him a load of luck.