PDA

View Full Version : NEVrland, Celebration, FL: Great place to try one!

adobephile
08-06-2003, 06:32 AM
It's been a few months now since I rented a Segway from NEVrland, but it was a great experience. Celebration (near Orlando/Disney World) is also a cute little town and a very conducive environment for first-time gliders. It's got wide sidewalks, curb ramps, and walking paths on which to glide.

The NEVrland staff were very friendly and had the strong intention of ensuring that my first gliding experience was safe and enjoyable. I watched the video and got the personal orientation in the parking lot across the street.

I'm 53, and it's been a long time since I learned how to ride a bicycle, and still a long time since I (sort of) learned how to skate on in-line skates (10 years ago). The Segway is a unique device (not a vehicle, per Florida statute--mobility device), and though my first step up on one was a little "swingy", I soon got the hang of it overall, after some good coaching and after some practice negotiating the cones to learn how to turn it and coordinate its controls. It was still far easier and quicker to learn than the bicycle or skates.

I rented it for an hour and had a blast gliding around downtown Celebration. It was fun to scoot around effortlessly and cover a lot of ground around the lake and paths. I also stopped to give what must have been a dozen or so demos to curious bystanders. That was fun, too.

Looking back on that hour, though, I might advise other first-timers to spend enough practice time to get yourself confident in turning and stopping. You'll soon realize how easy it is to start the thing. You just lean forward and it goes. But turning and stopping need to be experienced and learned, as they are very different.

The twist ring on your left handle is your steering control. I'm an ardent motorcycle rider and this one took a little "unlearning". I had a strong inclination to use the twist ring as my accelerator, even though it was on my left hand. If you succumb to similar inclinations you're going to be going in an unanticipated direction very quickly, especially if you're going at any speed. Practice is the key to this. Start out slow and increase your speed as you learn.

Another aspect of turning is leaning your body into the turns. Again, it's not a motorcycle, and you're NOT leaning the machine itself into the turns. You relax or bend the knee on the side toward which you're turning. I suppose that would be comparable to skiing, though I'm not a skier.

This turning dynamic is important to get a feel for, as it will free you up to move more smoothly and quickly, which is actually a safety factor, as it better enables you to not only go where and how you intend to go, but also enables you to better avoid obstacles whether they be objects or people.

The other important skill to master is stopping. Learn it well BEFORE going out on your spin. It's a very different control action on a Segway. For me it was developing a confidence in the machine itself and its balancing ability. I was initially skittish in trusting the machine when leaning back. You just have to practice LEANING BACK. It's almost too simple. Once you get over any fear, it's actually a fun sensation in itself. Given a good dry solid surface you can lean back with good confidence that you will stop, and stop smoothly, quickly, and safely with smooth and predictable control.

It wasn't long before I was cruising on open straight-aways and experiencing the speed governor of the red key. The t-handle actually comes back to keep you from leaning any farther forward. Fair enough. This is as much of an inducement to buy a Segway as any. The need for speed!

Another very pleasant sensation for me on the Segway was that of the machine "disappearing" beneath my feet. I found that it became a comfortable part of me and that I could stand or move very easily.

I like it very much for its smooth, clean, and quiet operation. I'm definitely going to get one, even if I rent it a few more times before I get the money together. Hopefully the "flow" of a lowering price will progress to meet my "flow" of desire to own one, and that we'll meet somewhere south of $5K. If not, it's still well worth the price to me.

By the way, I was recently in New Hampshire, and I made my "pilgrimage" to the factory near Manchester. Not really. I just drove by the place as I didn't have time to stop.

http://www.van-garde.com