PDA

View Full Version : Segway Rental

GyroGo
12-06-2002, 01:42 PM
It is time again to put out some feelers. I am really quite mystified by the low interest shown in the past, but as the future is now upon us, it is time again.

Who is interested in getting into the Segway Rental business? Lots of ideas here.

Please either post here or email me at XXXX(Edited Out)

I've collected a few names already, but am looking for some serious interest. I hope no one thinks this spam, it's a movement to push the industry further.

EDIT:
Please note that since this thread was started, I opened www.SegCenter.com (http://www.segcenter.com) and can be reached at info@segcenter.com

Thanks, Gary

Casey
12-06-2002, 01:49 PM
Gary, discussing business opportunities in a general manner does not look like spam to me. Actually soliciting buyers and/or offering something for sale is another story.

Also links directing members to a sales site would fall into the spam catagory.

I think most people know the difference between a discussion and soliciting. And I hope everyone will show us their respect by not spamming this site.

emanresu
12-06-2002, 01:59 PM
That was the first thing I thought of- Typical rental outfits could rent to folks on large jobs to supervise or run parts, etc. And then there's the whole liesure thing, jaunts around Hilton Head or Yellowstone, you name it. I'm thinking rental would be right around 65 bucks a day, payback in 66 days. Did I do the math right?

BBBix
12-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Wow, good idea. If there is anyway that I can get in on it, let me know.

Bill B.

lbjscooter@yahoo.com

JosephM
12-06-2002, 06:38 PM
Disney Parks could rent them out or other high tourist destinations. I'm still too young, but keep positing here to keep me/us updated.

Visit our FIRST Help Boards at http://tucker.helix-designs.com//index.php !!

Eddie
12-06-2002, 09:00 PM
First places, small islands. Aruba, Nantucket, Key West, etc. Great idea, bikinis, Segways, bikinis, topless beaches, pina coladas, bikinis, well you get the picture. :-)

GyroGo
12-07-2002, 07:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by emanresu

That was the first thing I thought of- Typical rental outfits could rent to folks on large jobs to supervise or run parts, etc. And then there's the whole liesure thing, jaunts around Hilton Head or Yellowstone, you name it. I'm thinking rental would be right around 65 bucks a day, payback in 66 days. Did I do the math right?

Targeting the leisure market. 65*66=$4,290 a bit short of the current price of the model available. The rental price would depend on a number of factors, the Segway unit price just one of those.

Anyone with a serious interest, please contact me at natoUSA@aol.com
Bill, you've been added to the list, Thank You.

www.StirlingInfo.com

BBBix
12-07-2002, 10:44 PM
My question is security.......I am not sure how many will be willing to put up 5k in callateral. What I think would be neat would be a gps tracking system (not hard, just need to find a way to permanetly mount it) and a key that only can be used x times.....that way, people would be less inclined to steal it because their keys would be rendered useless. Maybe there could be a lock that covers the charging jack......

What about places to rent them? Parking garages would probably turn out big buisness as would convention centers. What about some sort of a competition arena....who could ride 300 ft the fastest or negotiate a obstacle course the quickest...

Just a few thoughts,

Bill B.

JosephM
12-08-2002, 01:40 AM
I was thinking not giving them a key at all. Just a one boost and that should last them 30 mins. But if they want to do it the whole day, then $5 in colladeral is needed. All you need to do is give them your credit card number and then that's covered.

Visit our FIRST Help Boards at http://tucker.helix-designs.com//index.php !!

Blinky
12-08-2002, 03:37 AM
quote:Disney Parks could rent them out or other high tourist destinations. I'm still too young, but keep positing here to keep me/us updated.
Well, if Disney does get start their renting of Segways it would be a good idea to start a business right outside the Disney Park gates and rent the Segway's out for a cheaper price than they do.

To even do the same with all types of theme parks and locales that require long walks for parents, etc.

How long would one have to do this to make it a profitable business? Disney could do this just to cover their costs initially. They can charge whatever they want with all the capitol they bring in with the other parts of their business. How do you compete? I would like to hear ideas..

BBBix
12-08-2002, 03:48 AM
I bet that you could do fairly well renting them out to college students to zip around campus on. They only need one ride and they are 'hooked' (as I was).

Just rent them to paperboys......they can do their route 3 times as fast. ;)

Bill B.

Blinky
12-08-2002, 03:55 AM
BBX, you are absolutely right. All depending on the average life span of the Segway-HT one could figure out how much to rent it out to them. It would have to be an affordable amount, for most students, they barely have the money for school.

For the rich kids, their parents will just buy them one ;)

Blinky
12-08-2002, 04:04 AM
Hey guys,

fellow user segwayusergroups has been keeping busy. Check out his site.

BBBix
12-08-2002, 04:15 AM
Well, lets see....I think that 15 dollars per hour would probably be sufficent. That would be $360 for 1 day, so offer them for $15/hr or $180/day. Assuming that you get at least $180 per day (either a day rental or 12 1/hr rentals (8 a.m. - 8 p.m. (this is almost an assurance on weekends and holidays))), then you would have to go for 28 days (or rent it for a total of 334 hours). I think that this could turn very profitable very quickly.

What are yall's opnions on this? Am I asking too much? Too little? Just right?

Bill B.

GyroGo
12-08-2002, 07:04 AM
Bill, It's too early to set prices, but without going into a long analysis, I think at least $15 an hour would be reasonable, with probably a 3-4 hour minimum. (depending on location: local costs, competition, what market will bear, etc.).

One factor is Segway's current training requirements, but I have several ideas on that.

As far as a security deposit, people rent much more valuable property all the time (e.g. automobiles) with a drivers license and credit card deposit, although the Segway's rental agreement, liablility and insurance issues will clearly be unique.

Blinky, I'm not sure I understand the question, "how do you compete?". If you don't think in front of Disney is a good location, don't open there. There is not enough information, nor is it necessary, to make that decision now.

www.StirlingInfo.com

segwayusersgroup
12-08-2002, 08:47 AM
see http://www.segwayrentalcompany.com An idea in the works. Input requested. I have actually submitted a bid for a corporate event in Dec in LAs Vegas. Will get answer around Dec. 20th they claim.

http://www.segwayusersgroup.com

n/a
12-08-2002, 09:53 AM
quote:[i]Just rent them to paperboys......they can do their route 3 times as fast. ;)

Are u serios Bill? Is that 3x faster than walking or cycling?

GyroGo
12-08-2002, 10:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by segwayusersgroup

see http://www.segwayrentalcompany.com An idea in the works. Input requested. I have actually submitted a bid for a corporate event in Dec in LAs Vegas. Will get answer around Dec. 20th they claim.

http://www.segwayusersgroup.com

I'll be sending you an e-mail soon.

www.StirlingInfo.com

BBBix
12-08-2002, 04:28 PM
I think that 3x faster than walking is good, the ratio would be less for cycling, though.

Bill B.

BBBix
12-09-2002, 09:54 AM
I think that what i would like to see happen yould be to get a large tralier and about 20 segways along with a gneerator and other equipment to maintain them. This way, you would be able to take them to large events/fairs and still be able to set up on weekends on campus.

Even more profitalbe than renting by the hour would be, in my opnion, offering intro rides for, say $5 each. You would only need to get 3 rides per hour to make up for not renting them by the hour. This would turn a profit quicker.

Just a few thoughts,
Bill B.

Blinky
12-09-2002, 09:58 AM
I think with a broken Segway, unless you have the skills to fix it, will find your self mailing the darn thing back to Segway LLC to get it fixed. This is in the event one of them breaks beyond simple repair.

BBBix
12-12-2002, 08:24 PM
I bet that there would be a lot of money in renting Segs in airports. If you could some how get a contract with the airport, you could rent them to passengers within the secure aera (like the do with those Smart Carts). I bet late travelers would rent one to get to their gate faster. It would also probably work well at large airports (like Denver or Atlanta or Dallas) where the distance from gate to gate is large.

Whaddya think? Would it work?

Bill B.

drucilla
12-12-2002, 08:36 PM
what about rentals by the larger hotels in cities..tourists and guests would welcome a chance to get out and have a look around. Let's say a couple has gone to a convention and only one attends. The partner could go out into the city and be a little less grumpy when they reunite, making for a pleasant evening...

mind if my segway and i pass?

BBBix
12-12-2002, 08:44 PM
That too is a great idea. We need to find a way to monopolize the segway rental buisness! ;)

Bill B.

emanresu
12-12-2002, 11:45 PM
It's going to be everywhere, of course. And the operators of these businesses will be, for the most part, the same people who operate similar businesses already. From the large rental places to the National Park concessionaires, these people already understand the markets that are unique to them. They understand pricing (simple, based on capital outlay, with demand and overhead factored in), they have access to insurance already. The Segway will just be a rational fit for them, and frankly, anyone who thinks they can re-invent the wheel just because Segway did, is sadly mistaken. If you want to get into the rental business, the mere existence of Segways should probably not be your motivation.

zeppo123
03-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Hey guys I am bouncing around some ideas with renting here at the beach and offering corporate rentals for events. I would love to hear from any members considering a rental business to share thoughts and help amongst ourselves.

Karamozov
03-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Zeppo:

There is some basic information on renting Segways at the below site.

www.segcenter.com

I recall having contact with a gentlemen who was considering a business that would provide technical and administrative support for Segway rental businesses. I thought his website was www.segwayrentalcompany.com, but I see that the domain is for sale.

"Any town that doesn't have sidewalks doesn't love its children."
- Margaret Mead

fredkap
03-25-2003, 05:37 PM
This rental deal reminds me of a family friend who had a business of trampolines by minature golf courses. Great business until the first person got hurt. Same problem occurs with renting $20,000+ sail boats, the liability far exceeds the ability to charge and insure. You can't absolve liability with any type of contract. If LLC requires 2 hours of training, then you had better do exactly the same before you let anyone glide off. I give lots of demos but I also know that I could get sued for doing so.

Happy gliding!

Fred

Stutoonz
03-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Don't forget the training!!! What are you going to do in an airport? Say "Here's a Segway, drop it off at your gate?". "and oh:by the way, you can't carry your hand luggage and ride at the same time".
I personally know of someone who was going to rent Segways but must wait for state legislature to OK the non-commercial usage.

SO IT GOES !!-Kurt Vonnegut, author ---IMAGINATION IS BETTER THAN KNOWLEDGE -Albert Einstein

cstull
03-25-2003, 06:55 PM
If rental Segways take off too early, we'll end up with a bunch of people who have no investment in the product and who have little or no training. That translates into renters being hurt and a big black eye for Segway as the renters mow down people in crowded areas.

I'm sure we will see rental units. I hope I'm wrong about how they will be used. I guess I have seen too many rental cars abused (like that one in the hotel swimming pool... but that's another story!)

craig

GyroGo
03-27-2003, 07:17 AM
The reason SegCenter lists "suggested terms" for rental that begin at one week instead of by the hour is because we (o.k, "I", but "we" sounds better [8D] ) recognize the need to include proper orientation.

. . . . SegCenter (www.SegCenter.com) . . . .
StirlingInfo (www.StirlingInfo.com) StirlingChat (www.StirlingChat.com)

GadgetmanKen
03-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Gyrogo.com, Here are some of my interesting ideas pertaining to segway rentals and or dealerships that I had discussed from that other site. You may remember some of them.....

quote:
You could set up areas in Mall locations like they do at Christmas time for those cute electric riding cars/bikes/trikes for kids and charge 5 or 10 bucks per, say two or three laps around your area. All provided with small hills, turns and straight-aways. Get 10 or 20 of them and you could be making $50 to $100 or more for whatever time it takes to complete those laps. Probably every 5 minutes. For peak times that would equal $600 to $1,200 an hour. Now that would be some serious bucks. Even if the novelty of it wore off after a while you probably would be seriously wealthy by then, or you could move to another Mall or location. Lord knows you'll have the money to. Course you would have to have all them set on low speed and maybe a higher speed for proven riders with signed waivers of liability. And for those that liked them they could also purchase new ones right there on the spot.

quote:
Why in the malls? You could always be outside the mall. Or even have a mobile unit (trailor) with a taped off location or course in any parking lot, anywhere you want to go. Then you'd be "Rollin down the Road" Ha, sorry about that Rollin, couldn't resist.

There can be numerous places you could park and get permission based on commission. Anybody in their right mind couldn't resist the opportunity to cash in on the profit potential of a Segway rink. Not when they can see what they can generate based on Disney's venture. How'd they get it started and do they make you sign a waiver or what, when you decide to rent one? Would a basic disclaimer, you will not hold (us) liable serve as a basic coverage? Any idea what Disney does about this?

Or how about at Airports for the two and fro stops say between the terminal to parking and back, or terminal and nearby Hotels and back. Pay per use, faster than shuttle dont ya think?

Here are some ideas about Dealerships which could also be rental facilities.

I've often thought about having a SHT dealership myself. I've wondered what would actually attract SHT customers. Would it be convience, lower costs, accessories, atmosphere, parking for SHT's or services. I think all these things would be necessary for any dealership of Segway's.

Having it centralized, say at a downtown location also would give customers a place close by to park and ride. Having them parked in mini towers on a turnbuckle sort of thing.

I envision the dealership as being something similar to a Harley dealership perhaps. I think it would also be cool if it had a coffee shop, like Starbucks or a doughnut or subshop inside. You know, to get people to feel comfortable while browsing for accessories. There could also be a training area too. Or also a demo area for newbies.

Anywhere there is going to be a lot of people needing to get somewhere within a business district. Having Segway related businesses, service or delivery businesses. Don't forget about rental units, either...

What would you invision in a Segway dealership?

Now mind you, that you would have to include costs for the time spent for proper training, waivors of liability or purchase of insurance, over head costs, etc. Mobile units also could possibly work. Now for resort areas, longer day terms of rentals would probably be better. Now if, and when potential customers can give certificate proof of previous training or your company training they would be able to rent one faster and possibly at lower day rates. Disney cruise ships charge $49 an hour, don't forget.

You know I have been thinking about rental, distributor, and service facilities for about a year, just as you, from looking back at some of your posts at that other site. I live in Indianapolis and you in Chicago. Were you considering a rental location in Chicago, say at the Navy Pier or on Lake Shore Drive? Boardwalk?

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"

BruceWright
03-27-2003, 03:02 PM
The Vespa dealership near me has an espresso bar.

They are full of very cool accessories, fashion, books, helmets, clothing, keychains doo-dads..

Their jaws dropped when I Segged up :-)

I picture a cross between that and the Apple Store.

Dealership with a ramp course with small ramps in the front window. Ramps, bumps, water, gravel, just like the LLC training.

Some back-of house training as well, so people aren't in the front window looking nervous. Once they've practiced level one, they go on the course that takes them to the front window and back, around the ramp course.

Then another room for learning about care and maintenance.

The Segway Style line of active clothing. Jackets, hats, helmets, riding gloves. T-shirts, denim shirts.

Bags and accessories. Lighting packages, cargo sets. Optional colored and designed wheels and fenders.

Locking solutions and an in-house insurance agent, for situations that arise from those who aren't as enlightened as the Segway crowd ;)

Boba-bar for the icy beverage that doesn't spill when carried on a Segway!

All white interior, to demonstrate the non-marring tires. Modern couches and rounded shapes, like a Mini dealership. Videos running on plasma screens (filmed in Celebration) that protray the neighborly life that a Segway allows.

Wide open walking areas, not cluttered with product, so the staff can Segway around. The store greeter and staff should be able to Segway easily to any point in the store. The street in front should have curb-cuts, and there should be a park nearby, and perhaps a strolling shopping street. It should be in a physically active community of upscale urbanites. I'm thinking Santa Monica's 3rd Street.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

BruceWright
03-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Oh, here's my added thought.

If it's in a high-traffic area like 3rd street, do this:

Charge $10 for a lesson and a couple of laps on a Segway, around the ramp course. That way, EVERYONE gets to ride it, not just the folks who look like they might seriously buy one.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

GadgetmanKen
03-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Oh and don't forget this one...

quote:
Here in Indianapolis there was a warehouse type grocery chain called Cub Foods that decided it wasn't profitable anymore and moved out of central Indiana. Every location was within a block or two from an interstate highway with huge 100,000 square feet or so of space, now empty. Every building is probably less than 15 years old, and are separate from near by buildings and look alike too. Some are even at mall locations in their own out buildings.

Any one of these buildings would be a great location for a Segrink as you describe them. They could be leased for a year, possibly six months for a nominal price. Put a little scenery in there and different terrain and paths and it could be more entertaining too.

These locations have huge parking lots. so when the weather is nice you could section off part of the parking lot for outdoor glides. I also might add the interstate is the 465 inter-loop around the city. Total round trip is 55 miles. With mid crossing through downtown via I-70 E. & W. and I-65 N. & S. With these cities St.Louis, Dayton,(via I-70) Chicago, Louisville & Nashville, (via I-65) Cinncinnati,(via I-74 off of I-465) all with-in 2-4 hours drive of Indianapolis.

Oh, and don't forget to include a vanity wall of mirrors, so everyone can see how cool they look on a HT as they glide by. Maybe even sell or offer snapshots like roller coaster rides do.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"

glideidaho
03-27-2003, 04:08 PM
I have thought about renting mine out, but don't forget about liability insurance, cost of repairs caused by riders treating your machine like a rental car, or the damage riders could do to community relationships. I live in a small town of 2000 in Idaho, I certainly don't want my city council to outlaw them because somebody was out for a joyride and didn't worry about long term affects of cruising fast on the sidewalks or something. I would guess insurance would be about $3-$5000 a year if you can find it for this type of commercial operation. You can't rely on a waiver these days. I love this site!

lipinsky
03-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Okay, let's talk about business 101. There are MANY costs in a business rather than just the cost of the Segway. That cost would be written off in five years not one. Some posts appear to assume 100% rental -- that wont happen. You need to start with about 20% at best (I would guess).

Insurance is much more than for the individual and there are more perils to insure against. Marketing (how will people know what you are doing). Salaries (or are you all doing this in the goodness of your heart?) and benefits. How about "office" space (do you have any idea what city space goes for!) Don't forget business and corporate taxes. You can not conduct a business whose premise is illegal (you could not rent these in New York as at this time there is no legal public area in which to ride them).

Collateral someone said. You don't put up $25,000 when you rent a car -- you could not ask for $5,000 to a renter or no one will rent.

I challenge that the suggested rates that SegCenter shows will fail. They will never get anyone to pay those rates. They are just not reasonable. I am sure these are a wish and have not been market tested.

I have put many business cases (and businesses) together and would be happy to help. A business plan is needed if you are serious and financing could be through a VC (I can help there too).

If you folks are serious contact me and I would be happy to start a conversation. I personally don't have time to do the leg work here (putting another company together right now as well as the next version of the internet). But I can tell you what needs to be done and help guide you.

GyroGo
03-28-2003, 04:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by lipinsky
I challenge that the suggested rates that SegCenter shows will fail.

SegCenter Suggested Rates Intended to Benefit Marketplace

Once again, the rates on SegCenter are just suggestions, and the parties may do as they wish. Each Segway rental provider may make their own economic assumptions of costs, usage, risks, and what the market will bear their locale. Perhaps the suggested rates are creating more confusion than clarity, but the intent of the published suggested rates is to provide some thoughtful (educated guess) guidelines as to what parties may expect to charge and pay. From early threads about rental, it seemed assumptions were all over the map, and the marketplace might be hindered by doubt and inconsistency.

I do not intend to enter a lengthy debate defending my analysis in determining the suggested rates. I will, however, say a few things about my assumptions. Most importantly, I am listening to all your comments, but I am most interested in input from those who are actually providing rental units. My subjectivity can not be avoided.

Assumptions are based on current conditions, including the novelty of the product, limited rental supply, and widespread curiosity. There are risks and the need for user orientation. There is time involved in marketing and possibly delivery, as well as associated costs. There is the need for paperwork, and a contract would be smart. I would think that most renters at this point would not be individuals, but for use in special events or for purchase evaluation.

Of course consumers want greater convenience and lower prices, but hourly rentals do not appear to be a realistic expectation at this time. In time, the rates would be expected to drop in all categories.

Now, if one were to set up some sort of rink or obstacle course on a location with supervision by the provider, I guess we may be talking semantics, but I would probably call that a paid “demo” at this time (at least not a full freedom rental). Since we have not seen that yet, I have not proffered rates in that circumstance but would think $50-$75 per hour might be in line.

I do NOT presume to know all the answers, or to set actual rates, but am just thinking some guidelines would help this nascent market. Naturally, in time, the market will find its own pricing levels.

. . . . SegCenter (www.SegCenter.com) . . . .

lipinsky
03-28-2003, 04:56 PM
I am using my Segway as an "auction item" at the local ambulance fund raising auction (where I volunteer as an EMT)later this year. Before the auction I will be offering Segway "rides/training" (actual wording TBD) for $10 for 15 minutes. For the auction I will be offering 30 minutes of training and then six hours of use for a starting recommended bid/value of $200.00. Please remember that this is also for charity so actual paid prices are skewed (in 2000 an authentic NYFD tee-shirt went for $700.00).

pkpaul
04-01-2003, 02:44 AM
Interesting Tread.
I was going to be offering hourly and daily rentals (and that was my goal) until I went though the training. I was surprised at how unintuitive and dangerous it was to operate.
So, at first there will be a learning curve until it becomes "common knowledge" like driving an automobile or getting on an escalator. The first step in leaning to drive an auto is simply sitting in the driver's seat and maybe turning the ignition key (no harm if you mess-up). In the Segway case, if don't have any experience or training, your can definitely be injured because you instincts to balance naturally fight what the Segway is already doing for you. Yet this is no worse than boarding, riding, and exiting an escalator for the first time. While I can remember my first experience and how fearful (and unbalanced I was), I know that today that riding an escalator is common knowledge, even for the little ones (then again they can operate a VCR or DVD or TiVo at 2 years old). Thus, we can only offer Weekly and monthly rentals until such time that Segway operation has common knowledge.
pkpaul

pkpaul

Private Pile
04-01-2003, 03:00 AM
I'm not sure I'm down with "unintuitive" and "dangerous." Most people I've seen on the Segway are whizzing around in less than 30 seconds. Compare that to riding a bike, motorcycle or driving a car.

Also, Segway should be renting these to Hollywood productions ASAP. First of all, studios pay exorbitant prices for everything once a movie is "going." Secondly, the sets involve lots of walking back and forth from trailers to the "location" which can be a good 1/4 mile away. Third, not just productions, but studio lots are like large college campuses and most producers drive around in motorized golf carts. I'm telling you, if Segway is not all over marketing this to Hollywood, they need to start.

lipinsky
04-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Some folks at Segway have told me that there are actually "several" movies in production in which Segways are featured.

JGartmann
04-01-2003, 12:14 PM
I would be very concerned about renting this high tech equipment that requires hours and even days of training. Watching a video followed by 20 minutes of on unit training does not properly equip the renter for the real world. Falling off a curb, or turning in the wrong direction and then falling off a curb or into traffic are very real possibilities. Let's face it. These units are dangerous and require lots of skill. Perhaps renting them in an enclosed space would work, but sending a novice out into the real world is an invitation for disaster.

zeppo123
04-01-2003, 12:35 PM
I see people here at the beach renting scooters every day to people who have never driven a motorcycle and require no training or helmets. I can't imagine Segways would be even close to being as dangerous as these. Then again spring breakers seem to have trouble standing on a balcony without falling off sometimes.

pkpaul
04-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Spring Break?

OK Let's see how long it takes until the first GWI or GUI arrest.

For that matter, the first GWI or GUI conviction.

I will predict in a matter of months, lets say 3 months for an arrest (by 1 July).

Any other predictions?

PKPaul

www.GlideSegway.com

pkpaul

PamSi
04-02-2003, 02:42 PM
My family owns and operates 2 stores in West Yellowstone Montana - the busiest gate in and out of Yellowstone Park. A six block by six block tourist town with 3 million visitors a year.
A few years ago, I rented a recumbent bicycle.This is the kind where you lean back and put your feet up on the pedals. Takes some practice to get it right. I enjoyed it so much that I asked if the shop would sell it to me. Of course, at 1/2 the price of a new one. Turns out, that's where he makes a lot of money. He rents them for 1-3 months, and then often sells them at "1/2 price" (meaning the price HE paid - wholesale is usually 1/2 the retail price for an item like that). So then he has the cash to buy a new one for the next season.
Most people will not purchase such an expensive item unless they have had some experience. Now that a kids version is coming out, there will be a wonderful market if rental shops also sell them. Ten to fifteen year olds will realize right away that gliding to school, to visit friends, to the mall is WAY cooler way than riding a bike. And they often have heavy back packs - they can let the Segway carry the bag. Many stories have been written about this age group propelling sales of many items - and their parents willing to buy almost anything they want!
I say, let them lead the way.

SteveClapman
04-10-2003, 05:18 AM
On a commercial level, Keolis in France are renting the HT's
However, I don't know what stage of development they are at
http://www.segway.com/aboutus/press_releases/pr_011603.html

Steve Clapman
steve@clapman.co.uk

pkpaul
05-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Training/Observations Notes:
I trained 7 new people yesterday and today (30 April and 1 May 2003) both inside and outside. Here's what I observed.

Wobble:
They all had the "newbie wobble" even though I explained the body's natural tendency to "fight" the Segways ability to balance. Though having heard it explained I believe that it helped in not letting the Segway get-away from them or falling.

Lean:
Then they had to learn to lean on the turns and hills, even though I taught them to so, still had to learn by doing. Again, having heard it explained I believe that it helped in not tipping the Segway or wiping-out.

Crash:
I had two of them attempt a hill and a speed bump from a level grad at full speed. This in dangerous and counter intuitive. I did not not try this because I read the manual or was to reserved and assumed others would be as conservative. But being younger, more aggressive types, they tried it and the Segway reacted then over-reacted causing some near crashes. I observed one try to speed up in order to take the hill. That is a normal course of momentum and physical dynamics, but unsafe. Its is better and safer to slow down to approach a hill or a bump.
Also had 2 minor incidents of wall-climb, one inside and one outside by the newbies.

Addictive:
The biggest surprise to me and the newbies was how absolutely addictive the Segway is. I can envision the Segway "pusher" offering free training/ride for a few minutes, then charging $10.00 for a five minute ride after the user comes back begging for more. You still have all the legal/liability issues to worry about though.

Show off:
The people who thought that they would look silly on a Segway in public, would get addicted then go out and actually show off. And the cars would slow down or stop (the real danger). Pedestrians and drivers all said the same thing, "There's one of those things!"

Conclusion:
It's easy to learn but hard to master.

Rentals:
No revenue rentals yet, just inquires.
Is anyone having success at rentals?

PKPaul
www.GlideSegway.com

pkpaul

mzokc
05-02-2003, 01:12 AM
I have had the best results by having the new rider:

1. Hold on to the handle bar with both hands first.
2. Place one foot on the platform in the correct position.
3. Look up and just step up on it like a step stool.

Bucking has been greatly reduced or eliminated! A little bucking may occur when they start moving forward or back, but the above technique has been magical.

Mark

PamSi
05-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Has anyone looked into jet skies?
They are rented out, including to teenagers.
Surely they are a LOT more dangerous than the SEGway.
How much training does the rental company give a newbie?
How much does it cost to rent one?
Do renters have to sign a "I won't sue you if I get injured" kind of legal document?
Just curious - of course, I could Google it myself....
;>)

KonaSegway
05-02-2003, 07:00 PM
Hi PamSI,
I just got off the phone with the local jet ski rental place here in Kona. The price is $50 for half an hour and $78 for a full hour.
I told her I've never ridden a jet ski before and I asked about training and she basically said it's a no brainer .. you can pick it up in just 2 minutes.
She did emphasize that the Jetski had NO BRAKES .. that was pretty funny.
There is a rental agreement that you have to sign which also doubles as a liability waiver.

Hope that helps.

Aloha,
Sam

http://www.konasegway.com

PamSi
05-03-2003, 12:17 PM
I Googled "Jet Ski Rental", and the cost is all over the place - from $50 per 1/2 hour to $150 for 1/2 day.

Here is one site I found that sounded applicable to SEGway:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Both Greif and Beach Haven Watersports charge $60 for one-half hour of personal watercraft riding and $110 for an hour, and Meenan offers a 10-15 minute instructional period. Grief said he rents no more than 11 personal watercraft at a time so all riders can be overseen by a team of three supervisors. The machines he uses are Yamaha XL700s, a large three-seat personal watercraft that Greif said offers a smooth, comfortable ride. Drivers must be 16 or older.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

momentone
05-03-2003, 01:13 PM
pkpaul,

I have rented my Segway for 1 trade show, 5 days at $200/day. I now have a second rental planned, same rate, 7 days, same type of event.

I did not actively seek this business. It came to me because I used it at a trade show once. From that one appearance and subsequent referrals I have had 5 inquiries. My current rate is 1 day at $400. 2-4 days at $300, 5+ days at $200. They pay shipping, insurance, and must sign waivers of liability and letter of indemnification.

I believe this type of business will be around until the Segway is no longer a novelty... how long? 1 year maybe??

adios

GyroGo
05-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Re: RENTAL CONTRACTS

In the interest of fostering the Segway rental market, I have been thinking of posting a somewhat standard rental contract on SegCenter.com. However, with no legal budget and the recognition that state laws vary, I cannot do that at this time.

I was able to locate a large number of example equipment rental contracts in use by various companies, search: equipment, rental contract. Also there are downloadable legal forms that are very reasonably priced (or free), search: legal forms, rental.

While these may be of great help, the caveat is that these may be worth only what you pay for them, and no replacement for one prepared by a qualified attorney. My safe advice is to hire a lawyer.

However, if you read through a few of them relative to your state and issues, and have a comfort level in putting together legal docs, these may be a great way to save money (at your own risk). In the past I have found that personal detailed involvement in the preparation of legal docs gives you a lot more understanding of what's in the fine print, and what's missing. Sometimes an attorney winds up overlooking issues that may be important to you and you aren't even aware of it. So detailed involvement in the verbiage helps reduce your risks. Of course, you can choose to both hire an attorney and also review other rental agreements for details that may have been overlooked in your agreement.

If anyone has a Segway rental agreement they would like to share, please let me know.

. . SegCenter.com (www.SegCenter.com) . .

OnTheBeach
05-14-2003, 05:16 PM
I am interested in opening a Segway rental business in my hometown, a high-traffic beach community. My partner and I are wanting to get started as soon as the Segways can be delivered and we can procure office space. I know there are many issues to be considered, but most are issues which apply to opening any business.

What I'm most concerned with is whether there would be any legal issues with Segway LLC based on the fact that we intend to rent. I contacted their business sales department which is currently not selling to rental businesses.

Since we are almost to the point of placing an order for 10 Segways, I wanted to see whether anyone had any other comments or knew of any other major obstacles that haven't yet been discussed in other posts.

pam
05-14-2003, 05:51 PM
I don't know - maybe you could talk to Keith of NEVrland in Celebration, FL. He might have a unique take on it.
Pam

GyroGo
05-14-2003, 06:45 PM
On another thread Keith from NEVrland said they have franchise opportunities, they have some sort of special agreement from Segway LLC regarding rental. So you may want to contact him.

Otherwise, and I am not an attorney and you may want to check with one for your legal questions, but my understanding is that while Segway LLC is not specifically selling Segways in support of rental use, it is neither expressly prohibited by them nor can it be by law. My understanding of the law allows liberal owner rights as to how personal property may be used; including renting it out, with only limited exceptions (e.g. software licensing, etc).

While Segway LLC may want to be cautious about promoting Segway rental use in the early release phase in order to ensure safe and proper use, it seems to be only in their best long-term interest to have rentals out there so that people may try and use Segs.

LarryL
05-14-2003, 08:55 PM
I have been putting off posting anything on this board about what our company has been doing, but a National News Network will be putting the story out Nationally by next week, so I guess I'll go ahead and give you all a head's up.

We have opened a Segway Training and Rental Center in Spokane, Washington called Fun Transport, LLC and have plans for San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas and one in Georgia by the end of the summer. We have been open 2 weekends now and have had very good success. I talked with Mr. Kamen 2 days ago about our operation, and he was excited about it.

I have to tell you that anyone who even loans out a Segway without insurance is taking a very large risk. We have full insurance on all our Segways as well as alarm systems and GPS locaters.

We are looking for people who want to open operations in other areas and we are willing to work in different ways depending on the circumstances.

You can visit our website at www.Fun-Transport.com.

If anyone is interested in becoming involved with us, please let me know.

Larry

segboy
05-14-2003, 10:26 PM
quote:
I bet that there would be a lot of money in renting Segs in airports. If you could some how get a contract with the airport, you could rent them to passengers within the secure aera (like the do with those Smart Carts). I bet late travelers would rent one to get to their gate faster. It would also probably work well at large airports (like Denver or Atlanta or Dallas) where the distance from gate to gate is large.

Whaddya think? Would it work?

I don't know about the airport thing Bill. I just traveled from Sacramento to Hawaii and the security was a nightmare. There were 2 checkpoints and one escalator. Personally, I don't think that any airport would permit them due to the risk of someone hurting themselves, let alone the fact that you'd have to travel light in order to operate the HT.

A Segway isn't a Smart Cart if you know what I mean.

Once someone reaches the gate where do you leave it? I don't know. In a perfect world I think it would be great but considering to number if idiots in the world, I can't see it ever happening.

SegBoy

P.S. Here is how I packed my Segway for travel. Note that the weight restrictions on most airlines have changed from 70lbs to 50lbs. Check with your airline before traveling..
http://www.konasegway.com/sactokona.shtml

"Failure Is Not An Option!" Apollo 13

GyroGo
05-15-2003, 12:32 PM
LarryL:

Very well done! How'd you manage to keep it a secret from us especially with the great press you've already received?

Best of luck.

Gary

LarryL
05-15-2003, 01:38 PM
By just staying quiet and living in a smaller town we were able to keep it only in the North West. I have had calls from all over the NW and Canada from the TV interviews. We have had over an hour of TV time in 2 weeks. It has been a ball. AND for the first time in the history of the 3 TV stations here, they all did the same thing at the same time for Bloomsday on May 4 by all having our Segways for their reporters at the beginning of the race. (Bloomsday is the largest timed road race in the country with over 65,000 people participating from all over the world) Now with the Reuters News Network story about us going out tomorrow, who knows what will happen. We hope to be nationwide in the next 12 months.

Thank you for your comments.

Larry