PDA

View Full Version : Like getting New Feet

Scotty
07-30-2003, 05:20 PM
I just got my Segway. I have an above the knee artificial limb. The Segway will improve my quality of life tremendously. I did not want to get off it. It is great.

BruceWright
07-30-2003, 07:00 PM
Wow, great news Scotty! Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any special strategies for getting on and off?

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

billc
08-01-2003, 01:33 AM
Well done Scotty, my guess is that you will benefit greatly!!!

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University

Scotty
08-01-2003, 10:26 AM
Wow, great news Scotty! Welcome to the forum.

Do you have any special strategies for getting on and off?

-Bruce Wright

I get off and on the same as anyone else, good leg up first, get my balance then raise the other onto the Segway platform. The only issue I see is turning at higher speeds. You must lean into turns and with keeping the artifical limb straight it is hard to do. I just slow down for all turns.

BruceWright
08-04-2003, 11:25 AM
That's GREAT!

Welcome to the forum!

-Bruce Wright

2manycarz
08-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Scotty, see my post on my wife's first experience with a Segway this weekend in Salt Lake (she is a left AK). I think the biggest surprise was that you can rotate and turn by simply twisting the grip, not neccessarily leaning, which gave us some concern before riding one. Getting off was not as bad as we imagined either.

Best regards, 2

mulner
09-01-2003, 03:42 AM
scotty that is fantastic good for you it literally puts joy in my hart I have lost almost everything since i have been disabled if you know sombody that can help me to get a segway i would do anything i dont know what it would be like to go to town aand not have to worry about walking i can only walk about 100 yards and i am in an incredible amount of pain.thanks to all.Pete///mulner@excite.com

Pete

defenbaugh
09-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Scotty, welcome and thanks for the great news. Two friends of mine, one a double amputee and one a paraplegic, that I have approached to try my HT. Both have refused for concerns of falling. I am not pushing but sure would like each to give it a go.

Follow your bliss,[^]
Ron

http://www.defenbaugh.org/Segway/segway_ht.htm