PDA

View Full Version : Does Advertising Pay?

Casey
09-05-2002, 10:36 AM
http://www.adage.com/news.cms?newsId=35457

quote:Second-day syndrome
The other problem is what Mr. Bridge describes as second-day syndrome. "One of the things about media that drives me crazy is that the second guy who writes the story doesn't want to write anything the first guy wrote," he said. "And all he's left with is negatives."

Consider, for instance, Segway's entry in Time Inc.'s Business 2.0's recent report "101 Dumbest Moments in Business History." The report contrasts its two years of pre-launch hype to the reality of a product that costs 30 times what a bicycle does yet makes a rider look, according to the magazine, like "a total dork who's too lazy to walk."

quote:"I think it would be wrong to say advertising will be totally supplanted by communications, but the mix is certainly changing," said Gary Bridge, a former IBM Corp. executive and now senior vice president of marketing of Segway, the motorized transport device that blanketed the airwaves with free TV coverage late last year.

Segway's publicity barrage last December alone generated 758 million impressions, valued in the $70 million to $80 million range, the company said, followed by similar levels in January and February. The company plans a much smaller ad campaign coming some time between late 2002 and mid-2003 to back the brand's consumer launch.

But Segway's publicity keeps paying dividends, Mr. Bridge noted. The Segway HT has made prominent appearances in NBC's Frasier and the season finale of CBS's The Education of Max Bickford and will be in upcoming movies, he said.

Frank

charmed
09-05-2002, 10:44 AM
Very interesting piece. One can imagine lots of sour grapes from some of the other
companies seeing meagre returns from their advertising dollars. More grist for those opposing the sidewalk legislation, perhaps?

In my own little way, I like to think that I contributed to the Segway "advertising"
campaign, just by participating in online discussions. All for the selfish reason that I
want the opportunity to ride one!

ftropea
09-05-2002, 10:49 AM
"Segway's publicity barrage last December alone generated 758 million impressions, valued in the $70 million to $80 million range, the company said, followed by similar levels in January and February. The company plans a much smaller ad campaign coming some time between late 2002 and mid-2003 to back the brand's consumer launch. "

Remember that "$100 million of free publicity" touched on in the book proposal? That's what they're talking about here, right?

Here is a thought...

Would they have gotten that much publicity if the book proposal wasn't leaked and the product hyped to the levels it was? Think about it.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

ftropea
09-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Actually, if you read that statement carefully - they say that in the months of January and February, they generated similar levels of advertising. That means that for those three months, they generated somewhere around $200 million dollars of advertising.

Wow. Better than they'd hoped, eh? They underestimated how much free advertising they'd generate... actually, they didn't anticipate the pre-reveal hype factor due to the unforseen leak of the book proposal! :)

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

charmed
09-05-2002, 11:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

"Segway's publicity barrage last December alone generated 758 million impressions, valued in the $70 million to $80 million range, the company said, followed by similar levels in January and February. The company plans a much smaller ad campaign coming some time between late 2002 and mid-2003 to back the brand's consumer launch. "

Remember that "$100 million of free publicity" touched on in the book proposal? That's what they're talking about here, right?

Here is a thought...

Would they have gotten that much publicity if the book proposal wasn't leaked and the product hyped to the levels it was? Think about it.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

I have thought about it, and reading this piece in AdAge am starting to think much harder about it.

The proposal was always assumed by some of the cynics to have been leaked on purpose, and aside from various quotes to the opposite, cannot be 100% proven Segway's marketing plan wasn't in some way connected to the 'accident'.

I'm also getting a new perspective on Kemper's book. Perhaps the real story is not so much Ginger, but the marketing of Ginger?

Does Metcalf's quote play a role?

I'm not trying to be conspiratorial, just realizing that the online discussion that is so focused on Kamen and Segway is a pretty amazing marketing tool, with literally hundreds of people actively dissecting any and all related information. The message boards are the first place to go for any journalist or media commentator. Any leaks online (such as the book proposal, patents, pricing, availability, legislation, etc.) get an immediate dissemination with no shortage of marketing feedback.

This is true with other consumer products (computers, tech equipment, cars, etc), but none that I can think of that operate on such a shoestring ad budget.

One company that comes to mind that is able to generate a similar online buzz is Apple Computer. Never a shortage of rumors flying. Kamen's friend, Steve Jobs, has proven himself somewhat of a master at fanning peoples imaginations and excitement.

I think Kemper's book will be very, very interesting.

charmed
09-05-2002, 11:23 AM
"Second-day syndrome
The other problem is what Mr. Bridge describes as
second-day syndrome. "One of the things about media that
drives me crazy is that the second guy who writes the
story doesn't want to write anything the first guy
wrote," he said. "And all he's left with is negatives."
Consider, for instance, Segway's entry in Time Inc.'s
Business 2.0's recent report "101 Dumbest Moments in
Business History." The report contrasts its two years of
pre-launch hype to the reality of a product that costs
30 times what a bicycle does yet makes a rider look,
according to the magazine, like "a total dork who's too
lazy to walk."

This is interesting in the microcosm of message boards. Recall Dupa's recent interview with Bridge.

n/a
09-05-2002, 11:33 AM
Very interesting article Casey:

quote:Segway's Mr. Bridge admits getting the right messages across using PR can be a nail-biter. "I took a giant, potentially career-ending risk in announcing the product on [ABC's] Good Morning America on live TV," he said. "If either one of those [hosts] had done a face slam on live TV, our product was gone."

The same goes for the demo on the Today show. That is why Kamen was so nervous.

Surely in light of this info. the ginger/Segway forums had a significant role to play as Charmed pointed out and explains why Kamen took pesonal interest in TIQ. Hopefully Kamen & co. appreciate what we have been doing on TIQ to neutralize the bashers and I would think that they appreciate Segwaychat if they know about it.

I believe that after the leak if not before, Kamen & co. have been deliberately tantilizing the media with bits of news and rumours to keep interest up about Segway and the stirling. I think that expains Metcalfe's comments as well. They were ment to keep us in suspense and to hold our attention at least until the reveal of the consumer model and the stirling.

Casey
09-05-2002, 11:36 AM
Even negative advertising can be beneficial. Frequently the target for protestors is the strong. Much of the sour grapes seen at TIQ is the result of people who can't stand the thought of DK/Segway etal getting what they perceive as unfair advantages. They therefore rebel against Segway getting legislation passed in so many states.

IMO even a negative signature line such as one seen over there directed at SegwayChat can be good. People who frequent TIQ see that in the light it is presented, and may be more inclined to check and see what SegwayChat is all about if that individual feels the need to protest it.

Look at the people of the world who rebel against the US. It is jealousy that inspires that hatred.

Frank

charmed
09-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Lawrence,

I agree, and as far as Segway people being aware or reading this board, I think it's a safe assumption, considering the pedigree of the many armchair Segway pundits assembled at this new site. :)

Casey
09-05-2002, 11:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by charmed

Lawrence,

I agree, and as far as Segway people being aware or reading this board, I think it's a safe assumption, considering the pedigree of the many armchair Segway pundits assembled at this new site. :)

Build it, and they will come.[8D]

Frank

n/a
09-05-2002, 12:48 PM
quote:Look at the people of the world who rebel against the US. It is jealousy that inspires that hatred.

I think u are right about envy affecting the 3rd world and causing animosity towards USA and the ritch nations. It is understandable considering that the wealthy nations have 90+ percent of the world ritches and use a vast amount of the world's resources. Kamen seems to believe that if his stirling/waterpurifier could help aleviate disease and poverty in those nations, it could also aleviate the hate and envy these nations feel towards the USA. It could do a lot of good for international relations if the rich countres supplied the poor ones with those portable stirling generators/water purifiers. That would be along the lines of help towards self-help.

Antagony
09-06-2002, 07:09 PM
quote:Actually, if you read that statement carefully - they say that in the months of January and February, they generated similar levels of advertising. That means that for those three months, they generated somewhere around $200 million dollars of advertising.

I wonder if Bridge also calculated the advertizing for Kamen's favourite project: FIRST.

I don't know what Bridge means by advertizing with regard to the Segway, but I do know that Kamen complained about the all the hype. Sure Segway got a lot of media attention, but it was a mixed message. Some spoke warmly of the Segway and some poo-pood it. Did the negative cancel out the positive I wonder?