PDA

View Full Version : Segway Promotes Virility - medical study

GyroGo
12-03-2002, 04:22 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/842188.asp?0cv=CB10

Bicycles make you sterile=Segway promotes virility (same difference)

www.StirlingInfo.com

bicycledriver
12-03-2002, 12:03 PM
"The research suggests frequent jolts and vibration caused by biking over rough terrain may cause abnormalities, including small scars within the scrotum and impaired sperm production... Abnormalities were found in professional mountain bikers and other “extreme” bikers who logged at least 3,000 miles yearly — or an average of more than two hours a day, six days a week...."

How many Segways are being used off-road, on rugged terrain, more than two hours a day, six days a week?

Seriously, this type of extreme off-road cycling has little to nothing to do with the health impacts and benefits of transportation cycling on paved surfaces. The Dutch and and Chinese seem to be reproducing quite well. A couple of years ago there was a concern that road bike saddles could create increased levels of impotence in men. The bicycle industry responded by designing saddles that reduced the pressure on the areas identified by medical doctors to be of concern. I use such saddles on all of my bikes.

-Steve Goodridge (an avid cyclist who impregnated his wife within one month of our ending use of contraception; our first child is due in April.)

n/a
12-03-2002, 02:51 PM
quote:-Steve Goodridge (an avid cyclist who impregnated his wife within one month of our ending use of contraception; our first child is due in April.)

Congrats Steve!

emanresu
12-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Yeah! Whoo Whoo! You the man!!

bicycledriver
12-03-2002, 06:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence
Congrats Steve!

Thanks; I'm now learing about all the gadgets out there for transporting babies and toddlers. Car seats, strollers, joggers, bike seats, bike trailers, etc.

Which raises the question: How might one transport an infant by Segway?

-Steve Goodridge

BruceWright
12-03-2002, 06:20 PM
And one cannot forget the lesson of Lance Armstrong, who not only overcame cancer, but fathered a child as well.

Bicycles cure cancer!!!!

(Segways just make you cooler!)

Casey
12-03-2002, 06:22 PM
quote:Which raises the question: How might one transport an infant by Segway?

A papoose style or backpack carrier should work.

Hopefully no accident occurs whether it be on a Segway or bicycle. That would obviously be catastrophic.

JohnM
12-03-2002, 06:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

quote:Which raises the question: How might one transport an infant by Segway?

A papoose style or backpack carrier should work.

Hopefully no accident occurs whether it be on a Segway or bicycle. That would obviously be catastrophic.

Can't be done in New Hampshire:
quote:
269:1 Definition. In this chapter, "electric personal assistive mobility device" or "EPAMD" shall mean a self-balancing, 2 non-tandem-wheeled device designed to transport only one person, solely powered by an electric propulsion system, with a maximum speed of less than 20 miles per hour.

Although they are not saying it is illegal, you would be using the EPAMD for a purpose other than what it is designed for. If the child were injured you could find yourself in really deep doo-doo.
Check you local laws. I'd recommend a trailer. And wait till the kid can hold its head up wearing a helmet, about 1 year old.
http://www.burley.com/catalog/trailers/solo/default.htm

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

ftropea
12-03-2002, 07:08 PM
JohnM - I had to pull my post after your pointed out that it isn't illegal - just not within the definition of EPAMD.

Damn you ;)

But you're right... However, I'd probably go with Casey's idea and get the "daddy baby-bag" anyway.

The stability on the Segway is incredible and I'd feel absolutely safe carrying a baby on my back... plus you can always step right off if you need to. If you attach anything to the Segway along the lines of a "baby-seat", I'd be hesistant to encourage that...

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

GlideMaster
12-03-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi Frank,

I agree that the Segway is very very stable. But I would never never advocate anyone (me included), ride with a baby on my back or front for that matter. I would bet my Segway (when I receive it) that Segway would not under any circumstances condone such an act by anyone. No matter what evasive action you think you can take you still cannot predict the action of the other person or thing. You may be looking ahead and getting ready to avoid something up ahead and miss something on the ground (hole, bump or object). I don't know if you have any kids, but I don't think you would want to prove a point with your own baby that wanen't even walking yet would you?

SORRY GUYS, BUT I AM REALLY APPALLED THAT ANY OF YOU WOULD EVEN THINK THIS WAS OK.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

quote:Originally posted by ftropea

JohnM - I had to pull my post after your pointed out that it isn't illegal - just not within the definition of EPAMD.

Damn you ;)

But you're right... However, I'd probably go with Casey's idea and get the "daddy baby-bag" anyway.

The stability on the Segway is incredible and I'd feel absolutely safe carrying a baby on my back... plus you can always step right off if you need to. If you attach anything to the Segway along the lines of a "baby-seat", I'd be hesistant to encourage that...

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Blinky
12-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Weskifm writes,
quote:I agree that the Segway is very very stable. But I would never never advocate anyone (me included), ride with a baby on my back or front for that matter. I would bet my Segway (when I receive it) that Segway would not under any circumstances condone such an act by anyone. No matter what evasive action you think you can take you still cannot predict the action of the other person or thing. You may be looking ahead and getting ready to avoid something up ahead and miss something on the ground (hole, bump or object). I don't know if you have any kids, but I don't think you would want to prove a point with your own baby that wanen't even walking yet would you?

SORRY GUYS, BUT I AM REALLY APPALLED THAT ANY OF YOU WOULD EVEN THINK THIS WAS OK.
How bad can it be if your Segway was set at a (slower key) speed.

Its not like being on a Segway makes you a target! Riding with a baby on your back or front would not be any different than having a baby ride with you in back of your bicycle(in one of those baby seats).

GlideMaster
12-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Blinky Blinky Blinky Blinky Blinky Blinky,

On a Segway you would have the baby attached to your body by some form of carrier. If you fall forward or backward or laterally you could still fall on the baby. On a bike carrier seat a baby might have a better chance in a fall if nothing or no one falls on him.

I think this idea of riding with a baby on ones back or front is very irresponsible. Do you know how many people read what we say? What if they don't remember what they read and think it said it was OK to do what is being suggested. You all are like a tabloid sometimes with the dissemination of misinformation that could be deduced from what is being said.

How would you like to be put into a sack with your hands tied and then that sack is tied onto someones back and they take you for a ride on a Segway and then they fall?

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Weskifm writes,
quote:I agree that the Segway is very very stable. But I would never never advocate anyone (me included), ride with a baby on my back or front for that matter. I would bet my Segway (when I receive it) that Segway would not under any circumstances condone such an act by anyone. No matter what evasive action you think you can take you still cannot predict the action of the other person or thing. You may be looking ahead and getting ready to avoid something up ahead and miss something on the ground (hole, bump or object). I don't know if you have any kids, but I don't think you would want to prove a point with your own baby that wanen't even walking yet would you?

How bad can it be if your Segway was set at a (slower key) speed.

Its not like being on a Segway makes you a target! Riding with a baby on your back or front would not be any different than having a baby ride with you in back of your bicycle(in one of those baby seats).

Blinky
12-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Weskifm writes,
quote:On a Segway you would have the baby attached to your body by some form of carrier. If you fall forward or backward or laterally you could still fall on the baby. On a bike carrier seat a baby might have a better chance in a fall if nothing or no one falls on him.
Most likely no one will fall on the baby on a bike, the baby will just fall on the side of its head. Maybe crack its skull in half or something. At least if you had the baby in front of you, and fall backwards, no harm done. If the baby was strapped on your back, I still think you have a better chance of protecting the baby, especially if you read what I wrote just before(read right below)

How bad can it be if your Segway was set at a (slower key) speed. (referring to riding a Segway on a baby) This would give you more time to prepare for a fall, rather than worrying about other things.

quote:I think this idea of riding with a baby on ones back or front is very irresponsible. Do you know how many people read what we say? What if they don't remember what they read and think it said it was OK to do what is being suggested. You all are like a tabloid sometimes with the dissemination of misinformation that could be deduced from what is being said.
I know people read what I say. They have every right to jump into this conversation. But just to make it clear for those who don't know, THIS IS ALL MY OPINION.

No one should be confused now about my views.
quote:How would you like to be put into a sack with your hands tied and then that sack is tied onto someones back and they take you for a ride on a Segway and then they fall?
I probably would not like that to much.

hodgepoj
12-03-2002, 10:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by bicycledriver

I'm now learing about all the gadgets out there for transporting babies and toddlers. Car seats, strollers, joggers, bike seats, bike trailers, etc.

-Steve Goodridge

Add one more, Steve. I have a red Radio Flyer wagon that I take to the Farmers' Market to haul veggies in. This past week my 19-month-old grandson decided it was the coolest way to take a trip around the neighborhood.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

JohnM
12-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Blinky,
Got kids?

JohnM
12-03-2002, 10:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by bicycledriver

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence
Congrats Steve!

Thanks; I'm now learing about all the gadgets out there for transporting babies and toddlers. Car seats, strollers, joggers, bike seats, bike trailers, etc.

And when their a bit older, tandems. Nothing like doing RAGBRAI with a nine year old stoker for the ultimate in kid/dad bonding. It something a Segway will never be capable of providing.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tandkids.html

Eddie
12-03-2002, 10:59 PM
I've got to agree with Weskifm on carrying a baby is not a good idea. It doesn't matter how slow you're travelling if you land on top of the child. Someone will, no doubt, come up with good ideas on how to overcome this situation with either a sidecar or single swivel wheel carrier.

Blinky
12-03-2002, 11:15 PM
JohnM writes,
quote:Blinky,
Got kids?
No.

People should keep in mind that I never said it was a good/great idea.

GlideMaster
12-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Blinky, just because you say it's your opinion does not mean someone just scanning the material won't just do a half a-- scan and think some part of the material they happen to focus on is correct or OK.

BLINKY YOU JUST DON'T GET IT DO YOU? No matter how prepared you think you are, you still cannot control the actions or sudden movements of other people. Black key yellow key red key, it makes no difference. So you use the slow a-- black key, I'm one of those people that hate the Segway and protest whenever I can. So when I see you coming down the street you pass close to a door that I'm comeing out of or I'm a passenger in a car and I open the door on the correct side and act as if I don't see you comeing. But I hate Segways so here is a chance to make one look bad or seem like they were hot dogging. Opps I'm sorry I didn't see the child on your back, if I had I might not have done what I did. You don't know it was on purpose. I just happen to see you in my passenger side mirror so I did not have to be obvious and turn around. Just time it just right. Since the baby may have been on your back this time you blocked the baby from my vision in the mirror. Though I hate the Segway I would never want to hurt someones baby. But then again I did not see the baby on your back otherwise I might not have been so malicious but then again I might. DO YOU GET MY POINT YET. YOU CANNOT CONTROL THE MOVEMENT OF OTHER PEOPLE OR ALWAYS PREDICT WHAT THEY MIGHT DO OR WHAT MOVEMENT THEY MIGHT MAKE.

DO YOU THINK WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WOULD PASS THE REASONABLE MAN TEST IN A COURT OF LAW.

<center>READ THE NEXT FOUR LINES.</center>
<center>REMEMBER:
and

Weskifm writes,

How bad can it be if your Segway was set at a (slower key) speed. (referring to riding a Segway on a baby) This would give you more time to prepare for a fall, rather than worrying about other things.

quote:I think this idea of riding with a baby on ones back or front is very irresponsible. Do you know how many people read what we say? What if they don't remember what they read and think it said it was OK to do what is being suggested. You all are like a tabloid sometimes with the dissemination of misinformation that could be deduced from what is being said.
I know people read what I say. They have every right to jump into this conversation. But just to make it clear for those who don't know, THIS IS ALL MY OPINION.

No one should be confused now about my views.
quote:How would you like to be put into a sack with your hands tied and then that sack is tied onto someones back and they take you for a ride on a Segway and then they fall?
I probably would not like that to much.

GlideMaster
12-03-2002, 11:51 PM
Thank you Eddie,
I would like to think that reasonable minds and responsible heads will prevail on this subject.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Eddie

I've got to agree with Weskifm on carrying a baby is not a good idea. It doesn't matter how slow you're travelling if you land on top of the child. Someone will, no doubt, come up with good ideas on how to overcome this situation with either a sidecar or single swivel wheel carrier.

BruceWright
12-03-2002, 11:59 PM
So, Weskifm...

Still not clear on your opinion... is it okay nor not okay to strap a baby on your back on the segway? What about that front tub, or in that briefcase on Kamen's fender?

;)

All caps, a larger font and in RED?!!!?

Whatsa matter, Weskifm? You don't know the html code for BLINKING TEXT?

Blinky
12-04-2002, 02:23 AM
quote:Blinky, just because you say it's your opinion does not mean someone just scanning the material won't just do a half a-- scan and think some part of the material they happen to focus on is correct or OK.

BLINKY YOU JUST DON'T GET IT DO YOU? No matter how prepared you think you are, you still cannot control the actions or sudden movements of other people. Black key yellow key red key, it makes no difference. So you use the slow a-- black key, I'm one of those people that hate the Segway and protest whenever I can. So when I see you coming down the street you pass close to a door that I'm comeing out of or I'm a passenger in a car and I open the door on the correct side and act as if I don't see you comeing. But I hate Segways so here is a chance to make one look bad or seem like they were hot dogging. Opps I'm sorry I didn't see the child on your back, if I had I might not have done what I did. You don't know it was on purpose. I just happen to see you in my passenger side mirror so I did not have to be obvious and turn around. Just time it just right. Since the baby may have been on your back this time you blocked the baby from my vision in the mirror. Though I hate the Segway I would never want to hurt someones baby. But then again I did not see the baby on your back otherwise I might not have been so malicious but then again I might. DO YOU GET MY POINT YET. YOU CANNOT CONTROL THE MOVEMENT OF OTHER PEOPLE OR ALWAYS PREDICT WHAT THEY MIGHT DO OR WHAT MOVEMENT THEY MIGHT MAKE.

DO YOU THINK WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WOULD PASS THE REASONABLE MAN TEST IN A COURT OF LAW.
Point not taken. This is just one out of thousands of possibilities that can happen while riding on a Segway, with or with out a baby strapped on your body. It is something that can happen, and I don't dispute that.

Using basic physics now. In your story, if I was traveling on a "slower key" and I get smacked by a car door opening opposed to being hit by the car door traveling with the 'faster key', don't you think I would be better off on the 'slower key'? Common sense would tell me the impact would be less, therefore going slower was not a bad idea.

You just helped me make my point that you would be better off on a 'slower key' in some cases.

If you had a choice, would you 'run' with a baby in your hands, or would you 'walk at a fast pace' with a baby in your hands?
'fast'='faster key' 'walk at a fast pace'='slower key'

I think you know the answer to this one.

You are right, it doesn't matter how fast you go, if you are responsible you will most likely avoid accidents or mishaps.

In my opinion, I would not recommend anyone to ride a Segway with a baby. I am merely saying if they do, they are better off at a slower speed. This goes without saying.

I think I explained this as simple as I can.

Casey
12-04-2002, 08:39 AM
On the list of dangerous things to do with your baby, I don't think carrying one, properly secured to your own body on a Segway, is appreciably more dangerous than carrying a baby while walking. And IMHO it is far safer than carrying a baby in a bicycle carrier because of Segway's DS system. Of course extra precaution in the operation of the Segway is called for because of the precious passenger.

I would be one of the first to condemn a Segway rider for reckless endangerment of a child if that rider was doing anything but being extremely careful.

I know weski, you are going to jump all over this. But while you have a very big worry on the subject, it is still going to happen. So back to the question asked. My answer is still that a papoose or back pack carrier would be the best available way to do this task.

Lets get kids out of the back of pickup trucks and other dangerous places before totally condemning carrying one with you on a Segway.

emanresu
12-04-2002, 10:31 AM
This may fall under the wishful thinking category. One could easily speculate that the bicycle CAUSED his cancer......quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

And one cannot forget the lesson of Lance Armstrong, who not only overcame cancer, but fathered a child as well.

Bicycles cure cancer!!!!

(Segways just make you cooler!)

GlideMaster
12-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Sorry Casey, but I'm not going to apotheosize this subject any more. It's too dangerous: enough said. Send a message to jgrohol at Segway and I'm quite sure you know what Segway will say on this subject.

The first Book of Seg you receive with the Segway states that:

"NO PASSENGERS OR TRICK RIDING"

"Segway HT is intended for use by ONE user at a time. Use by two or more people at the same time, or use in other unintended ways can lead to loss of control, falls and injury."

And so it is written
in the Book of Seg.
So for me my good fellows
this subject is dead.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Casey

On the list of dangerous things to do with your baby, I don't think carrying one, properly secured to your own body on a Segway, is appreciably more dangerous than carrying a baby while walking. And IMHO it is far safer than carrying a baby in a bicycle carrier because of Segway's DS system. Of course extra precaution in the operation of the Segway is called for because of the precious passenger.

I would be one of the first to condemn a Segway rider for reckless endangerment of a child if that rider was doing anything but being extremely careful.

I know weski, you are going to jump all over this. But while you have a very big worry on the subject, it is still going to happen. So back to the question asked. My answer is still that a papoose or back pack carrier would be the best available way to do this task.

Lets get kids out of the back of pickup trucks and other dangerous places before totally condemning carrying one with you on a Segway.

JohnM
12-04-2002, 11:48 AM
weskifm,
You're a dad and a Segway user.
Binky is neither.
Guess who's opinion has more weight to anyone who has followed this thread? Thanks for your effort, but some people will never get it.

ftropea
12-04-2002, 11:56 AM
For what it's worth, I agree with a lot of what Blinky is trying to say.

It's probably a personal preference when it comes to what you view as safe/unsafe relating to your child. Some people might feel hesistant about pushing a baby stroller because the first thing they stick into traffic is - yes - the baby.

Then the parent follows.

I'm not saying my opinion is worth more or less than weskifm's, or even yours JohnM, but that's just my two cents on the issue.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Casey
12-04-2002, 12:02 PM
quote:"NO PASSENGERS OR TRICK RIDING"

"Segway HT is intended for use by ONE user at a time. Use by two or more people at the same time, or use in other unintended ways can lead to loss of control, falls and injury."

Dangerous or not people are going to do it. And you will find a disclaimer such as that one on all virtually all products sold in the United States. It is because of the litigious nature of our society.

GlideMaster
12-04-2002, 12:23 PM
If you must know JohnM; I'm a father of two grown kids and I have four grandkids in school, one in her first year of high school.
<center>
REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by JohnM

weskifm,
Binky is neither.
Guess who's opinion has more weight to anyone who has followed this thread? Thanks for your effort, but some people will never get it.

Blinky
12-04-2002, 08:43 PM
I write,
quote:Point not taken. This is just one out of thousands of possibilities that can happen while riding on a Segway, with or with out a baby strapped on your body. It is something that can happen, and I don't dispute that.

Using basic physics now. In your story, if I was traveling on a "slower key" and I get smacked by a car door opening opposed to being hit by the car door traveling with the 'faster key', don't you think I would be better off on the 'slower key'? Common sense would tell me the impact would be less, therefore going slower was not a bad idea.

You just helped me make my point that you would be better off on a 'slower key' in some cases.

If you had a choice, would you 'run' with a baby in your hands, or would you 'walk at a fast pace' with a baby in your hands?
'fast'='faster key' 'walk at a fast pace'='slower key'

I think you know the answer to this one.

You are right, it doesn't matter how fast you go, if you are responsible you will most likely avoid accidents or mishaps.

In my opinion, I would not recommend anyone to ride a Segway with a baby. I am merely saying if they do, they are better off at a slower speed. This goes without saying.

I think I explained this as simple as I can.
JohnM and weskifm,

If I rode a Segway or not, this would still be my opinion. There is nothing stoping people from riding their Segway's with a baby. Again, people should not do it, but they will anyway. It is not the smartest thing to do, but people do stupid things.

Knowing that we can't stop them, I would suggest if they are going to attempt this, they should ride using one of the 'slower keys'.

Not having any children does not mean I do not understand the responsibilities that parents go through. Whether I have children or not is a personal matter, and I would like to please stay away from such topics.

Blinky
12-04-2002, 08:45 PM
JohnM writes,
quote:weskifm,
Binky is neither.
Could you please tell me what did I not get? I thought I agreed with Weskifm mostly on the topic.

Thanks JohnM.

pdantic
12-05-2002, 04:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by GyroGo.com

Not if you ride a recumbent bike! [8D]

http://www.pdantic.com/bentblog/bentblog.html

Steve
PDAntic.com

Jnadke
12-05-2002, 05:00 PM

Blinky, Let's take this through the steps.

1. Strap a baby to your back.
2. Riding with segway, someone opens their car door.
3. Hit car door, segway keeps going.
4. Segway goes in reverse to balance the falling passenger.
5. Segway now travelling in reverse at fast speed to regain control. User hits something from behind, crushing the baby's soft skull, killing it instantly.

Even at fast speed in "walking mode", the Segway still travels at what? 6mph? That's still more than twice walking speed.

With a 10-20lb baby strapped to your back, it substantially raises your center of gravity. A Segway then must work much, much harder to keep the rider balanced. It is guaranteed that with such a high center of gravity, the segway will approach full speed (when correcting itself) of whatever setting if the driver "loses balance."

No matter how responsible you think you are, you never took that into account, did you???? It doesn't matter how responsible you are.

Go tell the family of a drunk-driving victim that it was the victim's fault for getting killed by the drunk driver. Tell me when you come back with a bloody nose.
They thought they were responsible enough when they drove their car. They paid dearly for it.

JohnM
12-05-2002, 06:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by pdantic

quote:Originally posted by GyroGo.com

Not if you ride a recumbent bike! [8D]

"Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for recumbents." -- Ted Constantino, Editor, VeloBusiness Magazine [:p]

Blinky
12-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Jnadke writes,
quote:Blinky, Let's take this through the steps.

1. Strap a baby to your back.
2. Riding with segway, someone opens their car door.
3. Hit car door, segway keeps going.
4. Segway goes in reverse to balance the falling passenger.
5. Segway now travelling in reverse at fast speed to regain control. User hits something from behind, crushing the baby's soft skull, killing it instantly.

Even at fast speed in "walking mode", the Segway still travels at what? 6mph? That's still more than twice walking speed.

With a 10-20lb baby strapped to your back, it substantially raises your center of gravity. A Segway then must work much, much harder to keep the rider balanced. It is guaranteed that with such a high center of gravity, the segway will approach full speed (when correcting itself) of whatever setting if the driver "loses balance."

No matter how responsible you think you are, you never took that into account, did you???? It doesn't matter how responsible you are.

Go tell the family of a drunk-driving victim that it was the victim's fault for getting killed by the drunk driver. Tell me when you come back with a bloody nose.
They thought they were responsible enough when they drove their car. They paid dearly for it
I know the difference between walking and running the difference between them and riding on a Segway. It was used merely as an example. I thought someone would read it that way when I wrote it.

I did take into account that "it doesn't matter how safe you are" You are right like weskifm, it doesn't matter how fast you go or how responsible you are in this circumstance, it can happen regardless, but if you are responsible you will most likely avoid accidents and mishaps. You can read an earlier comment that I made discussing the matter with Weskifm.
quote: In my opinion, I would not recommend anyone to ride a Segway with a baby. I am merely saying if they do, they are better off at a slower speed. This goes without saying.
I thought you read the thread.

One might be drunk when making the decision to ride on a Segway with a baby strapped to them, but I think drunk driving has nothing to do with this.

I was making a suggestion of what speed one should go(slower key) if they did decide to ride on a Segway with a baby. That was all..

BruceWright
12-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Jnadke,

It's been established that the higher your center of gravity is, the EASIER it is for the Segway to balance.

This for the same reason that it's easier to balance a broom on your hand than it is a pencil. Smaller movements are required to keep balance.

So, Weskifm, Whaddaya say to giving BABYs a ride!?!?

(just trying to get Weskifm to freak out again!)

pdantic
12-06-2002, 05:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM
"Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for recumbents." -- Ted Constantino, Editor, VeloBusiness Magazine [:p]

What a great quote! And so true!!! We 'bent bikers are definitely a different breed... [:o)]

Steve
PDAntic.com

Eddie
12-06-2002, 09:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

So, Weskifm, Whaddaya say to giving BABYs a ride!?!?

(just trying to get Weskifm to freak out again!)

You're the type that pokes hornet nests aren't you. ;)

Enjoy the ride,
Ed

bicycledriver
12-09-2002, 10:40 AM

Jnadke,

It's been established that the higher your center of gravity is, the EASIER it is for the Segway to balance.

This for the same reason that it's easier to balance a broom on your hand than it is a pencil. Smaller movements are required to keep balance.

Taller inverted pendulums are easier to balance because they have a slower swing (fall) rate. It takes longer to get them to start falling so it is easier to compensate with slow reflexes. Shorter pendulums require a much faster response speed.

The disadvantage of a taller pendulum is that it takes longer to accelerate and decelerate. If you balance broom handles of different lengths you will find it easier to start and stop quickly with the short handle if your reflexes are quick enough to keep it upright. As a result, the stopping distance of a segway with a taller rider will be longer than the stopping distance of a shorter rider, for a given travel speed.

Steve Goodridge

hodgepoj
12-09-2002, 12:19 PM

It's not just that the required movements of your hand are smaller, Bruce, but - much more important - they're slower. The rotary equivalent to Newton's 2nd law of motion is "the greater an object's rotary inertia about a given axis, the slower will be it's angular acceleration."

Translated into English, this says, "the higher your center of gravity while standing on an HT, the slower you will fall if you become unbalanced." This means that the slower the HT must roll forward or backward to regain your balance.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

BruceWright
12-09-2002, 01:33 PM
Okay, is it because it's 8:30 in the morning? I re-read and re-read Steve and Paul's posts to try and figure out which one is correct....

Can't ... make ...brain ....work...

First off, do your posts agree or disagree? Which one is right?

Smaller and slower movements to re-balance?

or

Longer distances to accelerate and decelerate?