PDA

View Full Version : Article: Do Segway scooters make sense?

ftropea
09-05-2002, 09:14 AM
http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/02/9/5/15808842.cfm

"The city of Everett is considering a serious segue into the 21st century.

The city is thinking of investing in some Segways to save money and increase efficiency."

"Seattle has bought 10 Segways, ranging in price from $4,800 to $5,500 per scooter. The city is evaluating the machines, said Matt Rathke, automotive engineer for Seattle's Fleets and Facilities Department."

"That efficiency might be tested should Everett decide to proceed with a Segway purchase. Any expenditure, however, must be approved by the city council."

"Still, the captain fell under the Segway spell.

"It's fascinating," Lineberry said. "And the technology is amazing.""

So it looks like the price is already below $5,000 for a certain model. If this keeps up, they'll be able to meet the $3K consumer goal by the time it's released for consumer sale.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
----------------------------------
Ginger : Robotics :: PC : Computers

Casey
09-05-2002, 09:45 AM
Despite the outcry from the haters of anything new and different, it looks like the tide is turning in Segway's favor. Good article.

Frank

Newman
09-05-2002, 10:15 AM
He tried to do a quantative analysis, but sometimes just smiled and whizzed around. That's good news at least. If my job had a Seggie, I would :) all the time.

To Infinity and Beyond!

ftropea
09-05-2002, 10:33 AM
The one aspect of the story that fascinates me the most is the current going price of the Segway-HT. I mean, it's gone from incredibly high ($8K - $10K) to "reasonably" low at around $4.8K - $5.5K. And we're talking commercial versions here. Does anyone understand what they're doing? Perhaps they're selling them at "cost" in order to get things going and get them in use, in the public's eye, as soon as possible. The economy is weak... so perhaps they're sweetening the deal, weathering the downturn and possibily being in a position to close big contracts when money becomes available.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

charmed
09-05-2002, 10:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by ftropea

The one aspect of the story that fascinates me the most is the current going price of the Segway-HT. I mean, it's gone from incredibly high ($8K - $10K) to "reasonably" low at around $4.8K - $5.5K. And we're talking commercial versions here. Does anyone understand what they're doing? Perhaps they're selling them at "cost" in order to get things going and get them in use, in the public's eye, as soon as possible. The economy is weak... so perhaps they're sweetening the deal, weathering the downturn and possibily being in a position to close big contracts when money becomes available.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

Nicely put, Frank. It makes one wonder, all the widely varying prices. It's nice to see the prices trending lower.

I still wonder if they haven't already inked some larger deals that are being kept under wraps? The politics are a little hostile for them to show too much success. Could the higher numbers we have seen been subtle P.R. to make people dismiss their viability, and therefore not take the legislation as seriously?

The marketing up until now has been very interesting, to say the least, particularly the part of it conducted on message boards and the internet. Rather refreshing approach for pennies on the dollar, yet not in anybody's face who isn't already interested. It's brilliant.

n/a
09-05-2002, 11:40 AM
quote:An eight-hour course is required before a person can legally step aboard a Segway.

That is being very cautios considering that the basics take a couple of minutes to master. There must be a lot more things u can do with a Segway than meets the eye?

As for the price range, I wonder if they sell evaluation models for bargain prices? It is better than loaning out test machines I suppose.

charmed
09-05-2002, 11:57 AM
There was also a story linked to the other day (forget the locale) that referred to an evaluation leasing program. Was it for Santa Monica?

ftropea
09-05-2002, 12:10 PM
I'll share a moment from the GMA that stands out in my mind...

Remember that scene outside ABC studios on the corner, towards the end of the GMA reveal - Kamen, Sawyer and Gibson were on Segway-HT's? And Diane INSISTED on doing that one legged hands free maneuver? There was a pained look on Kamen's face. And remember when she almost plowed into the onlookers? At one point she nearly did... early on in the park she nearly fell off. But she insisted on doing those ridiculous acrobatics... very stubborn, much to Kamen's chagrin.

I remember right at the end, as the show was nearly over... She, again, nearly crashed into the onlookers. Charles Gibson laughed, shaking his head while Kamen smiled broadly, tilted his head back and looked up into the sky as if saying - "Oh God, that would of been bad."

But it didn't happen. She didn't crash to fall off, even though she insisted on riding recklessly. Speaks volumes about the safety of the Segway-HT.

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea

zeppo123
09-05-2002, 12:32 PM
I just wish they would get a price structure. I would be pissed if I bought some for 10 grand and read a few months latter someone else is getting them for 1/2 that.

n/a
09-05-2002, 12:36 PM
quote:But it didn't happen. She didn't crash to fall off, even though she insisted on riding recklessly. Speaks volumes about the safety of the Segway-HT.

I also recall Sawyer asking Kamen if she could drive it up the ramp and throught the water hazard. When Kamen refused to let her she asked why. He responded: "It is mine and I dont want u to get it wet."

They are playing it very carefully. There is a lot at stake.

Casey
09-05-2002, 12:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by zeppo123

I just wish they would get a price structure. I would be pissed if I bought some for 10 grand and read a few months latter someone else is getting them for 1/2 that.

I understand what you are saying. But if you look at what happened with computer pricing in the last couple of years or so, it is the same. I gave almost $3000 for a computer about three years ago, then paid $1400 for this one, much more powerful, then bought my wife a new one a few months ago for $800 that is more powerful and has better components than either of the others.

I also bought a new car awhile back for $21000+ with an MSRP of almost $30000. Over $8000 reduction. What about those who paid $29000 or even $27000. Then see them at $22000 or less?

Even at WalMart I will buy an item, then see it later much reduced. I hate it too, but it is common now. There is also a volume buy factor that can definitely play a part in the pricing scheme.

Frank

zeppo123
09-05-2002, 01:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Casey

quote:Originally posted by zeppo123

I understand what you are saying. But if you look at what happened with computer pricing in the last couple of years or so, it is the same. I gave almost $3000 for a computer about three years ago, then paid $1400 for this one, much more powerful, then bought my wife a new one a few months ago for $800 that is more powerful and has better components than either of the others.

I also bought a new car awhile back for $21000+ with an MSRP of almost $30000. Over $8000 reduction. What about those who paid $29000 or even $27000. Then see them at $22000 or less?

Even at WalMart I will buy an item, then see it later much reduced. I hate it too, but it is common now. There is also a volume buy factor that can definitely play a part in the pricing scheme.

Frank

I know what your saying but this is pretty extreme. I don't think they have sold that many for such a price drop and they don't have parts that will drop so fast in cost like computers. If they want to get big accounts like the city of Atlanta it would be hard to explain offering them units at 8-10 grand and then 4800 to someone else less than 6 months latter. It would make me hold out for more price drop.

n/a
09-05-2002, 03:56 PM
quote:It would make me hold out for more price drop.

We dont know the circumstances for the price variance. Maybe Segway realized they had to lower prices to get sales. They didnt know that 6 months ago. This is new technology. Maybe Segway decided to sell "test models" in limited quantities at discount prices instead of loaning them out for free. Remember that the commercial model has not even been officially launched yet.

Antagony
09-06-2002, 06:51 PM
quote:We dont know the circumstances for the price variance. Maybe Segway realized they had to lower prices to get sales. They didnt know that 6 months ago.

Maybe Kamen doesnt know all that much about selling his own inventions. I read somewhere that he lost a deal with Fedex because he couldn't decide on the price. Maybe the slow sales have helped him to make up his mind. If I was a potential buyer I would drive a hard bargain. If Segway can lower their prices from 10 to 5 thousand in 6 months maybe they could go down to $3000 if pressed hard enough.