PDA

View Full Version : Segway offered for sale on Ebay.

Whewtbing
12-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Go check Ebay.

As far as I can tell someone is trying to sell their $4950 Segway from Amazon.com on ebay for $7700.

Now there is a successful business model!

Casey
12-02-2002, 07:54 PM
I haven't checked there today, but there were at least 11 of those on EBay a few days ago. They were priced between $5500 and $8000.

GlideMaster
12-02-2002, 07:54 PM
Thanks Whewbing, this has been appearing on eBay ever since the sale started. There was a previous post on this somewhere in this maze of information on this site. Thanks anyway.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>
quote:Originally posted by Whewtbing

Go check Ebay.

As far as I can tell someone is trying to sell their $4950 Segway from Amazon.com on ebay for $7700.

Now there is a successful business model!

Blinky
12-02-2002, 08:16 PM
Casey writes,
quote:I haven't checked there today, but there were at least 11 of those on EBay a few days ago. They were priced between $5500 and $8000
This is not a bad business. To attract someone who doesn't know better to go for this deal, sucker them all in. Maybe this is the way to go to raise money to get that Segway-HT we all wish we had.

RAG1247
12-02-2002, 10:39 PM
Interesting!

Part of the terms and conditions for entering the contest state:

The purchaser further agrees to participate in publicity events, if any, reasonably requested by Segway LLC [u]and further agrees not to re-sell or otherwise transfer any interest in his or her Segway HT prior to March 1, 2003 (other than to a person who attends Training provided by Segway LLC).</u>

Richard

Blinky
12-02-2002, 10:46 PM
quote:The purchaser further agrees to participate in publicity events, if any, reasonably requested by Segway LLC and further agrees not to re-sell or otherwise transfer any interest in his or her Segway HT prior to March 1, 2003 (other than to a person who attends Training provided by Segway LLC).
I wonder if Segway LLC has contacted Ebay about this. Ebay usually remove items if there is any conflicts of interest.

or..

Maybe those Segways being sold do not contradict Segway's policies. Are we missing out? ;)

Whewtbing
12-04-2002, 07:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by RAG1247

Interesting!

Part of the terms and conditions for entering the contest state:

The purchaser further agrees to participate in publicity events, if any, reasonably requested by Segway LLC [u]and further agrees not to re-sell or otherwise transfer any interest in his or her Segway HT prior to March 1, 2003 (other than to a person who attends Training provided by Segway LLC).</u>

Richard

Actually the ebay auction includes the training so maybe they are legal according to the parenthetical caveat.

Eddie
12-04-2002, 11:14 PM
All of the eBay listings I've seen say that the deliveries start after March 1 so it seems that these people are doing nothing but acting as placeholders in the queue. Meanwhile they get to sit on the cash, interest and markup while the buyers get to wait. There is nothing in the eBay adds that state when the machines get delivered. It actually reminds me of the X-Box box deals of some time ago. (For those who don't know, there were people selling the packaging for an X-Box for hundreds of dollars, oh you didn't read the fine print and know you were buying cardboard?)

steve1501
12-05-2002, 10:47 AM
I just checked Ebay, and most of the reseller's posts are gone. There is only one remaining true selling ad which has an asking price for $6,600.00 and a buy it now option for $7,700.00. This person is only selling a queue. As wrong as it may be, it is a perfect example of caveat emptor (let the buyer beware). Fortunately, no one has taken any of these offers or even made a bid. This shows me that the early adopters of a Segway are more sophisticated than the ordinary consumer and will not fall into a trap on Ebay without doing their homework.

Steve