PDA

View Full Version : The height advantage

n/a
12-01-2002, 01:31 PM
As we know, a person is 6+ inches taller on a Segway. I wonder if that factor has been somewhat underestimated with regard to Segway's potential appeal. We all know that many cultures height provides important advantages for males. Research shows that almost always, the tallest of two presidential candidates will win an election. We know that short people are excluded from certain types of jobs like police work. We know that women tend to prefer taller guys. Some men go to extreme "lengths" to gain a couple of inches. They wear elevator shoes. I have recently seen a program where people get operated on to add a few inches of bone to their legs and go to great expense and pain to become taller. A lot of men have inferiority complexes because of their lack of height. Even our language reflects this. When we admire someone, we "look up" to them. If we "look down" at someone, it means we dont respect them. Tall persons seem to carry more autority. It is probably psychologically programmed into us from childhood. Since children look up to adults, tallness is assosiated with maturity, power, etc.

People with very short stature might benefit even more. They have trouble reaching things. They have trouble keeping up with other pedestrians. They are forced to look at other people's wastes or butts. I wonder how many of the population is shorter than 5 feet? One of the touted advantages of the ibot is its ability to raise people to eye level. The wheelchair users feel they regain their "dignity". Being short himself, I think Kamen was consciousof this. Did Kamen deliberatly make the Segway platform higher than he needed to in order to appeal to appeal to people's desire to be taller?

The extra height also has a number of other advantages. Police and other security people will be able to get a much better overview when among crowds as would any short person. Segway owners would have a considerable advantage at public events like parades, exibitions, concerts. What other advantages might there be to being 6 inches taller on a Segway?

I expect to see a greater portion of short people buying Segways initially?

emanresu
12-01-2002, 01:53 PM
I think that may be a "stretch". The "long and short" of it will be whether the cost is "out of reach".

n/a
12-01-2002, 03:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by emanresu

I think that may be a "stretch". The "long and short" of it will be whether the cost is "out of reach".

Humorous comment eman. If u are a person of normal or tall stature, u probably dont realize the complexes people have about their height and their physical appearance. Our self image is the most important thing we have and people go to extremes to do what they can to improve it. Look at Michael Jackson. How many spend big bucks on cosmetic surgery, breast implants, penus enlargement, hair transplatns etc. The chance to appear 6-8 inches taller while on a Segway could be a big deal for some people.

I wonder what the average height is of those here who already ordered a Segway? Would u mind sharing that info with us people? Did the chance to appear taller have any significance for u with regard to ordering a Segway?

emanresu
12-01-2002, 03:35 PM
I'm 6'2", a height I consider fairly normal these days. Really, my only thought on the subject came after seeing someone comment about tree branches hitting you in the head (or low doorways, or low-flying aircraft)....

n/a
12-01-2002, 03:55 PM

I'm 6'2", a height I consider fairly normal these days. Really, my only thought on the subject came after seeing someone comment about tree branches hitting you in the head (or low doorways, or low-flying aircraft)....

I am 5'6", the same height as Dean Kamen. Becoming 6 inches taller while on a Segway would probably not be a big deal to me at this stage of my life. It may have been when I was younger. I tried to compensate for my short stature in various ways like I think many men do. However I have not experienced riding the Segway so I dont know how if that would make a difference with regard to the height factor.

For those who are already tall, it could pose a problem with regard to doorways etc. Perhaps tall women would also consider it a problem.

GlideMaster
12-01-2002, 03:57 PM
Lawrence I'm 6 ft. and it has not been a problem yet. You just have to be cognizant of your increased height.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

Humorous comment eman. If u are a person of normal or tall stature, u probably dont realize the complexes people have about their height and their physical appearance. Our self image is the most important thing we have and people go to extremes to do what they can to improve it. Look at Michael Jackson. How many spend big bucks on cosmetic surgery, breast implants, penus enlargement, hair transplatns etc. The chance to appear 6-8 inches taller while on a Segway could be a big deal for some people.

I wonder what the average height is of those here who already ordered a Segway? Would u mind sharing that info with us people? Did the chance to appear taller have any significance for u with regard to ordering a Segway?

n/a
12-01-2002, 04:39 PM
quote:Lawrence I'm 6 ft. and it has not been a problem yet. You just have to be cognizant of your increased height.

That may not always be easy to keep in mind. Weskifm, did the extra inches affect u psychologically in any way?

charmed
12-01-2002, 05:09 PM
I would imagine doorways (US standard 6'8", although often lower with thresholds and door stops taken into account) are definitely something to get used to, especially for anyone in the 6' or over range.

In terms of psycological advantages of being an extra 8" tall...maybe for some. For me, I would rather be closer to the ground. Looking down on people could cause too much self-consciousness for me to feel comfortable.

When I ponder the ideal segway-type design for me personally, it would have the smallest possible diameter wheels (not sure what the limits here are, while maintaining adequate DS), with a low platform (maybe 4", if possible?)

The ability to go off pavement, over grass, on trails, etc. would take a back seat to being able to use the device with as little attention (and extra height) as possible.

emanresu
12-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Lawrence, I think you may be on to something after all. I've been pondering the ramifications of having the non-Segwayed among us making snide comments like "Did you see that crop of hair in his nose?", or "His fat stomach was right in my face!". Having already placed my order, I can do nothing but face this harsh inevitability with courage and strength, and, failing that, several visits to my shrink.

hodgepoj
12-01-2002, 05:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Lawrence
I expect to see a greater portion of short people buying Segways initially?

That depends on what you mean by "short," Lawrence. I was considered tall when I was a 6-ft 1-in teenager. But now that several generations of well nourished boys have grown up behind me, I'm no longer taller than most men.

Perhaps, psychologically, I bought my Segway to regain the advantage I had when I was younger.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

n/a
12-01-2002, 09:08 PM

Lawrence, I think you may be on to something after all. I've been pondering the ramifications of having the non-Segwayed among us making snide comments like "Did you see that crop of hair in his nose?", or "His fat stomach was right in my face!". Having already placed my order, I can do nothing but face this harsh inevitability with courage and strength, and, failing that, several visits to my shrink.

Having to look at nose hair and fat stomachs might be a reason for some people to want to grow an extra 6-8 inches and for others for not wanting to be taller.

I look forward to statistics about whether short or tall men are more likely to buy Segways. But then again one can wonder if short or tall people will be more able to afford them.

Casey
12-02-2002, 08:55 AM
quote:But then again one can wonder if short or tall people will be more able to afford them.

That may seem like a silly question to some people. But I have more than once read that taller people are more apt to be promoted in their jobs than short people. That would suggest to me that tall people would be more able to afford what they want than short ones. I think that would include Segways as well as everything else.

I did a google search for some firm information on the subject, but got so many hits that I have so far been unable to sort out this information from a myriad of information that has nothing to do with this.

n/a
12-02-2002, 02:12 PM
quote:That may seem like a silly question to some people. But I have more than once read that taller people are more apt to be promoted in their jobs than short people. That would suggest to me that tall people would be more able to afford what they want than short ones.

I too have read this Casey. Tall people do in most societies have an advantage in most societies, just as slim people have over fat people.

wderooy
12-02-2002, 03:25 PM
By this reasoning, would a dwarf want elevated
blocks on his HT platform?

Casey
12-02-2002, 03:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Walter deRooy

By this reasoning, would a dwarf want elevated

No, he would want to wear them to his performance review at work.

n/a
12-02-2002, 03:58 PM
quote:By this reasoning, would a dwarf want elevated

Probably.

flashgoirl
12-03-2002, 12:03 AM
I'm 5'1" and definitely see the raised height as an added bonus. It was probably the first thing I noticed during my test ride. Ironically I'm sure it seems weird but I may spend most of my time in the kitchen on my Segway ;)

Beth

"When buying dog toys one must always consider the delicate balance between fluff and squeak." - pt

n/a
12-03-2002, 03:09 PM
flashgoirl, Interesting that a girl might find the height advantage attractive.

quote: I'm 5'1" and definitely see the raised height as an added bonus. It was probably the first thing I noticed during my test ride. Ironically I'm sure it seems weird but I may spend most of my time in the kitchen on my Segway ;)

Why do u use the Segway in the kitchen I wonder?

flashgoirl
12-04-2002, 12:46 AM
To reach the top shelves in the cabinet, of course!

"When buying dog toys one must always consider the delicate balance between fluff and squeak." - pt

Blinky
12-04-2002, 01:05 AM
hey flash, A co-worker that I once supervised was also about your height. She had her kitchen made just for her. I am going to tell her tomorrow about you using the Segway, she should get a kick out of it.

Its probably cheaper to just go with the Segway anyway ;)

flashgoirl
12-04-2002, 02:38 PM
I went to Tokyo for my honeymoon and noticed that so much of everything was "my size" - I keep buggin my husband about moving there!

I hear they are eagerly anticipating the release of Segway for consumers over there....

n/a
12-04-2002, 04:51 PM
quote:I hear they are eagerly anticipating the release of Segway for consumers over there....

Give us a more info on this goirl. U might want to start a thread on that subject.