PDA

View Full Version : Meter readers look forward to scooting

Blinky
11-30-2002, 05:57 PM
http://augustachronicle.com/stories/113002/met_153-6904.000.shtml
quote:Meter readers look forward to scooting

Web posted Friday, November 29, 2002 10:18 p.m. EST

Have a thought? Go to the Forums or Chat.

By Jason B. Smith
Columbia County Bureau

The first time Billy Clayton saw one, he was hooked.
"I thought about meter reading the first time I saw it on TV," said Columbia County's Water and Sewer Services director.

Starting in January, Columbia County's meter readers will have a new tool - a Segway Human Transporter. The county is testing one now, and if it saves time on meter reading, more could come, Mr. Clayton said.

"It's actually pretty hard to fall off of," meter foreman Shane Williams said. "But it can be done if you are not careful."

Brooster
12-01-2002, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the article Blink. We really do need to come up with a better term than "scooting." I suppose "Segwaying" doesn't have a much better ring to it.

There has to be a better word! DSing? Nope. Kamening? Nope ...

Broo

Brooster

JohnM
12-01-2002, 01:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster
Thanks for the article Blink. We really do need to come up with a better term than "scooting." I suppose "Segwaying" doesn't have a much better ring to it.

From the The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition:
quote:
Scoot comes from a Scandinavian verb related to the verb shoot and, borrowed into Scots dialect, originally meant “to squirt with water.” Two derived senses, both intransitive verbs, have become even more common: “to slide suddenly across a surface” and “to move quickly”: The mouse scooted across the floor. In the American Midlands, there is a phrasal verb scoot over, meaning, in its transitive sense, “to push (someone or something) to the side to make room.”

Yeah, you need a better term.

Runnin' with the Big Dogs

Brooster
12-01-2002, 04:13 AM
Whoever finds the right word ... there is no good word ... wins the prize!

Brooster

Blinky
12-01-2002, 04:16 AM
article says,
quote:"It's actually pretty hard to fall off of," meter foreman Shane Williams said. "But it can be done if you are not careful."
The fact that these meter people are aware of this is a good sign [:p]

As for making up a new word to replace 'scooting', maybe a word that had been mentioned before "flywheeling", or even better "bulleting" ha! :D

or maybe neither..

Brooster
12-01-2002, 04:23 AM
Edited

Blinky
12-01-2002, 05:01 AM
quote:Posted - Dec 01 2002 : 02:23:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited
What happened brooster? :)

Hey, how about "Broo'N"? (say like a new yorker)

Conversations about our daily Segway life will sound like we are referring to making coffee ;)

Brooster
12-01-2002, 05:30 AM
Edited. Sorry. :)

emanresu
12-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Just say "Seging". Sounds good to me!

hodgepoj
12-01-2002, 07:35 PM

We really do need to come up with a better term than "scooting." I suppose "Segwaying" doesn't have a much better ring to it.
Brooster

I read a question somewhere that asked whether the name Segway was derived from the old disk jockey term segue (pronounced the same as segway)which means to go from one musical number to another without pause or voice interruption. Certain disk jockeys were renowned for their smooth segueing abilities.

I don't see any connection between smooth operation of dual turntables and balancing on a one-axel vehicle.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

emanresu
12-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Oh, but I do... I worked for the first independent non-commercial radio station in the country- KKUP, in the Silicon Valley. We were geeky about segue's- my favorite was "God Bless the Conspiracy", an electric "God Bless America" that blended perfectly with "Good Day Sunshine", by the Beatles. Segway- a perfect solution for getting to one place from another.

n/a
12-01-2002, 09:18 PM
quote:I don't see any connection between smooth operation of dual turntables and balancing on a one-axel vehicle.

Me neither. But perhaps there is a connection between driving a car for short distances and switching to a Segway.

emanresu
12-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Or maybe, "Segway" did literally mean to describe the "segue", or transition, from internal combustion to electrical vehicle transportation. From Dicitionary.com- "To move smoothly and unhesitatingly from one state, condition, situation, or element to another"

hodgepoj
12-02-2002, 11:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by emanresu

Or maybe, "Segway" did literally mean to describe the "segue", or transition, from internal combustion to electrical vehicle transportation. From Dicitionary.com- "To move smoothly and unhesitatingly from one state, condition, situation, or element to another"

But electric-powered vehicles are not that new. Fiat sold a two-seat car in this country in the early 70s that was powered by eight 12-volt auto batteries (placed under the seat). It had a top speed of 40 mph on a level road and a top speed of zero on any incline greater than about 15 degrees.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210

emanresu
12-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Yes, and the transition wasn't even close back then. Now it's at hand.

n/a
12-02-2002, 01:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by emanresu

Yes, and the transition wasn't even close back then. Now it's at hand.

When Kamen's battery charing stirlings become available, the segue might become a lot more apparent.

hodgepoj
12-08-2002, 11:39 AM

We really do need to come up with a better term than "scooting." I suppose "Segwaying" doesn't have a much better ring to it.

Although I've been publically reprimanded in this forum for using the "S" word in referring to the HT, I'm seeing it more and more in the news articles that folks post here. Maybe we'll just have to bow to public opinion on this one. It may not be the best name we could come up with, but the time is fast approaching when people will know what you're talking about only when you call it an electric scooter.

Dr. Paul O. Johnson
Senior Exhibit Developer
The Science Place
Dallas, Texas 75210