PDA

View Full Version : Special scooter helps owner get around at work

Blinky
11-30-2002, 05:54 PM
http://www.saljournal.com/stories/113002/tec_segway.html
quote:Special scooter helps owner get around at work
By JIM MISUNAS
The Hutchinson News
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUTCHINSON -- Bill Dondlinger admits he's a kid at heart, so it's no surprise the 66-year-old Hutchinson man owns the coolest wheels in town.

Dondlinger spins from his driveway on the north side of Hutchinson to his daily chores at Wesley Towers on a Segway, a stand-up scooter known as the Human Transporter. Segway defines the scooter as an "electronic personal assistive mobility device."

"It's a great way to travel, and a great invention," Dondlinger said. "It's quite a thrill to ride because you're the only one who owns one."

The Web site hwysafety.org reports that Kansas is currently one of 11 states that allows the Segway to travel freely on roads and sidewalks while abiding by the same rules as pedestrians. However, a Segway operator is required to yield the right of way to pedestrians.

Hutchinson City Attorney Carolyn Patterson said the city has no statute prohibiting such a self-propelled, motorized scooter. Patterson said the Segway first would have to be classified to adhere to a particular city statute.

"You can't write statutes or laws for something that hasn't been created yet," Patterson said. "I don't know how that would be classified. I'd have to do some research."

More questions than answers

Linda Kerschner, an assistant city attorney, researched what other cities are doing.

"Different cities and communities are starting to address how to enforce Segways, and we're seeing a lot more questions arising than answers," she said.

Hutchinson City Manager Joe Palacioz said Dondlinger apparently has a free ticket to ride.

"If someone asks me about it, I guess I'd ask our police chief to give us a definition of it," Palacioz said. "No one's asked me yet."

Dondlinger always has been fascinated by the latest technology, seeking the latest electronic gadget.

"When I saw the Segway, it intrigued me," he said. "I'm fascinated by anything that's new."

He discovered that his part-time maintenance job at Wesley Towers fit Segway's early requirement that purchasers use the scooter for work purposes. Post office personnel and park rangers have tried Segways.

"Wesley Towers is spread out all over the place," he said. "The Segway saves me a lot of steps every day."

The Segway comes at a price tag of $5,000, according to various Internet sites. Dondlinger was required to train for a week on the Segway in Manchester, N.H.

"They wanted everyone to get off to a good start, so they required the training," he said. "It's easier to ride than a bike. I probably felt comfortable in a few minutes."

The Segway operates via five gyroscopes and 10 computer processors that move the scooter when the operator leans forward or backward. The gyro sensors send signals to the onboard computer, which powers up the two motors.

"The gyroscopes keep it perfectly balanced," Dondlinger said. "It's really amazing. It doesn't move until I lean forward. If you lean back, it goes in reverse."
The Segway

Price tag: $5,000
Weight: 83 pounds

Height: 8 inches off ground

Foot space: 19 by 25 inches

Wheels: 14 inches

Blinky
12-01-2002, 04:38 AM
This guy Bill Dondlinger is nearly a senior citizen(66). Why can't Segway LLC get this guy to counter all these protesters?

Casey
12-01-2002, 09:03 AM
I'm guessing his voice of reason would meet the same scorn from the protesters that others do when posting pro Segway on another well known internet forum.

n/a
12-01-2002, 11:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Blinky

This guy Bill Dondlinger is nearly a senior citizen(66). Why can't Segway LLC get this guy to counter all these protesters?

My guess is that Segway will soon target the senior citizen market and will soon demonstrate to them the benefits of Segway for them.

Senior citizens tend to become isolated because they cant keep up with the pace and they get quickly tired from walking. Segway will help them to keep up with pedestrian traffic, take strolls with the grandkids, etc. For them a Segway will not only be a productivity tool, it will also improve the quality of their lives.