PDA

View Full Version : Life Of Segway

emanresu
11-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Have there been any musings or speculation in regards to the usable life of this product? I hope for 5 years, realizing there are many factors involved... Anyone?

Brooster
11-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Just a guess, but I suspect that it'll last well beyond five years. From what I've seen, the i-Series appears to be pretty solidly put together; and from what I've read, Segway's engineers have pulled out all the stops to make this a very durable and dependable product. We'll have to buy new batteries from time to time, but I don't think it's out of the question for a Segway to last a dozen years or longer with proper care.

Edit: Here's something from Segway's FAQ page:

How long will a Segway HT last?

In order to deliver a durable business productivity tool, we pursued two design avenues. First, we built durable mechanical and electrical systems to be in solid state, so even the moving parts were designed for longevity. For example, the motors are brushless servomotors, so there are no parts that could wear out. We then submitted the systems to extensive, rigorous testing to ensure we met our goals. Second, we created a modular design whereby if any part were to wear out or break, it could easily be replaced, ensuring a long product life.

Brooster

Blinky
11-30-2002, 03:12 PM
emanresu, how long does a car or a truck last if you bought it new today? It would be hard to answer this question because of the many variables invovled in guessing what this may be.

I think it all depends on how you plan on using it. Of course we don't have anything from Segway that allows us to compare our situation to theirs. We can only assume. It would be only fair if Segway LLC released some kind of figures for everyone to know the endurance and dependability of the machine. I am sure they have done tests or are doing them.

Very good question by the way.