PDA

View Full Version : On Your New Segway Beware Of One Problem

GlideMaster
11-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Well guys when you get your new Segways you should be aware of one problem. When I took my training there were six of us with Segways. Only one (1) out of the six (6) had a Parking stand or Mechanical Kickstand that was not broke. When you get your Segway you:

<center>MUST MUST MUST REMEMBER TO RETRACT YOUR PARKING STAND.</center>

Otherwise you may have to pay someone like me to replace it or do without it.

<center>REMEMBER:
Responsible Riders Ride Segway
and
Segway Riders Ride Responsibly

Segway, The Mind Changer</center>

Seeker
11-29-2002, 09:44 PM
quote:

<center>REMEMBER:
and

</center>

How's this for a Slogan :

A responsive machine for responsible riders !!

Seeker

emanresu
11-30-2002, 10:14 AM
What happens when the Kickstand is gone? Do you lay the thing down?

GlideMaster
11-30-2002, 03:52 PM
It stands against the wall with no problem or you can lay it down. I usually stand it against a wall, because if you lay it down someone might trip over it and then you call your lawyer.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by emanresu

What happens when the Kickstand is gone? Do you lay the thing down?

n/a
11-30-2002, 04:01 PM
quote:It stands against the wall with no problem or you can lay it down. I usually stand it against a wall, because if you lay it down someone might trip over it and then you call your lawyer.

If there is nothing to lean it against, that could be a problem. When a Segway is shut down, are the wheels locked Weskifm?

GlideMaster
11-30-2002, 05:24 PM
When the Segway is shut down the wheels do not lock; they can still turn but they don't spin free. There is a little resistance. Sort of like pushing a car in neutral. Hope you understand with I mean.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:It stands against the wall with no problem or you can lay it down. I usually stand it against a wall, because if you lay it down someone might trip over it and then you call your lawyer.

If there is nothing to lean it against, that could be a problem. When a Segway is shut down, are the wheels locked Weskifm?

Blinky
12-01-2002, 04:40 AM
Weskifm writes,
quote:When the Segway is shut down the wheels do not lock; they can still turn but they don't spin free. There is a little resistance. Sort of like pushing a car in neutral. Hope you understand with I mean.
I guess a little resistance is better than none, but probably not enough for a determined thief.

GlideMaster
12-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Hi Blinky,

I don't care how determined a thief might be, it would be more than a notion to think you could push or pull the Segway very far without passing out. Throw it in the back of a pickup or into a van; that way you still have some energy to run if you get caught.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:Originally posted by Blinky

Weskifm writes,
quote:When the Segway is shut down the wheels do not lock; they can still turn but they don't spin free. There is a little resistance. Sort of like pushing a car in neutral. Hope you understand with I mean.
I guess a little resistance is better than none, but probably not enough for a determined thief.

n/a
12-01-2002, 04:02 PM
quote:I don't care how determined a thief might be, it would be more than a notion to think you could push or pull the Segway very far without passing out.

A big man in good physical condition could probable carry a Segway a considerable distance without getting sweaty, so pushing/pulling it would not likely be much of a problem. Someone could pull it along and claim that they ran out of juice. Maybe Segway pulling will become a new form for exercise? ;)

As for leaning it against a wall, wouldnt there be a problem having it roll and fall since the wheels are not locked, especially on an incline?

GlideMaster
12-01-2002, 04:15 PM
Lawrence the Segway is too awkward to carry and really how far and how fast do you think you can run with 83 lbs that is not evenly balanced. I'm 6', about 215 lbs and in pretty good shape. Yes I work out, but I could not run with the Seg.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

quote:I don't care how determined a thief might be, it would be more than a notion to think you could push or pull the Segway very far without passing out.

A big man in good physical condition could probable carry a Segway a considerable distance without getting sweaty, so pushing/pulling it would not likely be much of a problem. Someone could pull it along and claim that they ran out of juice. Maybe Segway pulling will become a new form for exercise? ;)

As for leaning it against a wall, wouldnt there be a problem having it roll and fall since the wheels are not locked, especially on an incline?

n/a
12-01-2002, 04:35 PM
quote:Lawrence the Segway is too awkward to carry and really how far and how fast do you think you can run with 83 lbs that is not evenly balanced. I'm 6', about 215 lbs and in pretty good shape. Yes I work out, but I could not run with the Seg.

If u could roll it 50-200 yards to where u have a parked car without having to strain to hard, that would make it more stealable. I wonder why they dont have the wheels lock when it is shut off? That is what they do with many bikes, even though bikes are much lighter.

Weskifm, u didnt answer the other part of my question. Might a Segway that leans against something fall over fairly easily?

GlideMaster
12-01-2002, 07:02 PM
As I stated before the Segway when off has a certain amount of resistance to being free rolled. It's like trying to push a car in neutral. I have never had a Seg fall when propped up against a wall.
I don't know how else to explain it.

<center>REMEMBER:
and

Segway, The Mind Changer </center>

quote:Lawrence the Segway is too awkward to carry and really how far and how fast do you think you can run with 83 lbs that is not evenly balanced. I'm 6', about 215 lbs and in pretty good shape. Yes I work out, but I could not run with the Seg.

If u could roll it 50-200 yards to where u have a parked car without having to strain to hard, that would make it more stealable. I wonder why they dont have the wheels lock when it is shut off? That is what they do with many bikes, even though bikes are much lighter.

Weskifm, u didnt answer the other part of my question. Might a Segway that leans against something fall over fairly easily?